To some PPC Mac owners: stop giving games low scores for being Intel only.

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

View Postbobbob, on October 5th 2008, 01:28 PM, said:

What if you can't because the promised UB never came, or it opens to a black screen, or it's broke and your told to pay for the expansion to fix it?
Hmm, this sounds oddly familiar...
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#22 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

View Postyo-mike, on October 6th 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

Flat out 2 didn't get a bad reviews for this on MGF.
Allow me to quote a review from MGF in its entirety:

[2/5 rating]Trautman (10/3/2008 - version 1.0)
This demo is Intel only. Not Universal Binary.

View Postedddeduck, on October 7th 2008, 01:17 AM, said:

It depends on the description if it says PPC supported and it does not work on your PPC then fair enough you can comment but if it states Intel only and you only have a PPC machine then I don't think you should comment.
The first line of the requirements listed for the FlatOut 2 demo on MGF is "Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)". It does say "Any Intel CPU" a couple lines later, but the first line is undeniably incorrect.

#23 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

View PostTesseract, on October 6th 2008, 09:32 PM, said:

The first line of the requirements listed for the FlatOut 2 demo on MGF is "Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)". It does say "Any Intel CPU" a couple lines later, but the first line is undeniably incorrect.

It was soon after updated to "will not run on PPC."

Requirements

* Mac OS X: 10.4.11 or higher
    * Any Intel CPU
    * 512 MB RAM
    * GeForce 7300, Radeon X1600 or Intel GMA X3100 128MB
    * 4GB Hard Disk space
    * Broadband connection for Internet play & Product Registration

Note: This game WILL NOT run on a PPC Mac

VP Product Page

Click the "Requirements" tab.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#24 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:27 PM

PPC Mac users are traitors. DESTROY ALL PPC.

#25 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

How are we traitors? We came before the Intel…

…In other words, you crazy Milbop, you crazy. ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:17 AM

View Postdojoboy, on October 7th 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

It was soon after updated to "will not run on PPC."
VP Product Page

Click the "Requirements" tab.
The accuracy of the requirements on VP's page was not questioned, just those listed on MGF.

#27 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 6th 2008, 09:32 PM, said:

[2/5 rating]Trautman (10/3/2008 - version 1.0)
This demo is Intel only. Not Universal Binary.

Oh, that review. I didn't think it was a bad review, they where just stating a fact for correction's sake. Wheren't they? Sheesh. :blush:

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#28 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

Well, yes, the 2/5 is kinda odd though. Oh well.  :whistling:
Maybe they had heart burn that day or something.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 7th 2008, 08:17 AM, said:

The accuracy of the requirements on VP's page was not questioned, just those listed on MGF.
I think the system requirements VP originally published were the cause. At first, they contained pretty contradictory statements like stating both OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.11 as minimal required system version and the aforementioned "Universal Binary" and "requires Intel CPU" part. Seems that they fixed this now.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:37 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 7th 2008, 02:17 AM, said:

I know.  It was offered as to why is all..
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#31 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:14 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 6th 2008, 06:32 PM, said:

Yeah but if it says Intel only below universal binary, I would say yes it is a typo but it would be obvious to me at least it was Intel only. Reviewing the game saying Intel only as the only reason for a bad review is I feel a little harsh. Although as a PPC only person at home I understand the pain of all the newer games being Intel only. However deliberately giving a game a bad review because of a mistake in the page instead of just reporting the mistake is fair but I would say a little mean spirited.

I would also say the ability to post a comment without a rating would be useful, especially as a developer would be great. I know we have had a few rants for some of our demos and I often have to post a review so I can reply to the issue. I try and post with the same rating as the current average and disclose my identity up front so I (hopefully) can be charged with trying to alter the ratings.

Edwin

#32 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:43 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on October 7th 2008, 01:08 AM, said:

How are we traitors? We came before the Intel…

…In other words, you crazy Milbop, you crazy. ;)

Liberator.
I'm a PPC users.

I'M A WACKY ZANY INTERNET GUY.

#33 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

YOU CANT BE BOTH SINGULAR AND PLURAL SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#34 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

View PostNaman, on October 5th 2008, 03:05 AM, said:

Please, I know you dig your PPC Macs, but for the rest of us, please understand: Your platform is dead. They do not make them any more. If devs want to support them, that's awesome, and more power to them, but please stop lowering software's scores on review sites (Macgamefiles especially) because it won't run on obsolete hardware. Thank you.

Well I don't post here often but , in 05 I bought my very first tower after owning imacs,emacs etc. A great machine even to this day I might add ppc dualcore 2 ghz(g5). Only game I play is Everquest for the mac so i don't care about other games. So I spent $2000. on it and a month later without no warning or nothing,they go obsolete and against everything this company shoved down our throats for year after year and get all windows and intel queer. I'm not rich,just a working class citizen and that was a lot of saving for me to buy this machine. To drop it like a wet towel was Rude to say the least. Bring back the days when computers lasted. God bless the Amiga!  which I used for ten years straight up until 98(the 2000HD). I don't even see any software that requires more power,at least not in past 8 years or so.

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

View Postinnuenstu, on October 7th 2008, 06:56 PM, said:

... on it and a month later without no warning or nothing,they go obsolete and against everything this company shoved down our throats for year after year and get all windows and intel queer.
Hm, well, it's not as if Apple hasn't announced the Intel switch six months before the first actual Intel equipped Macs were released.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#36 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

View PostJanichsan, on October 7th 2008, 10:00 AM, said:

Hm, well, it's not as if Apple hasn't announced the Intel switch six months before the first actual Intel equipped Macs were released.

I don't think so, the dualcores were not even announced, and were released to the public maybe two days if even before i bought it. I almost bought one of the regular g5 towers but I actually saw the add on apple's page day before I went to store to buy it. This was in october 05 when i purchased my machine. I wouldn't forget that rip-off trust me.I actually had a post entitled what way will apple smoke me next :) after my purchase.

#37 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

View Postinnuenstu, on October 7th 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

I don't think so, the dualcores were not even announced, and were released to the public maybe two days if even before i bought it. I almost bought one of the regular g5 towers but I actually saw the add on apple's page day before I went to store to buy it. This was in october 05 when i purchased my machine. I wouldn't forget that rip-off trust me.I actually had a post entitled what way will apple smoke me next :) after my purchase.
Actually when i take out 10.5 since it offers nothing but an excuse to buy a faster machine this runs extremely fast. Once the dime a dozen dells etc can run osx legally and effortlessly I'm not chancing buying another mac again since they make new ones way to fast for absolutely NO reason. Seriously anyone here really need that much speed to save the 10 seconds? sorry i cannot stop editing,but once you get that extra 10 seconds they will release a  new OS to make you buy a new machine to get back that 10 seconds lol, I'm done.. Have a nice day

#38 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

View Postinnuenstu, on October 7th 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

As I remember Apple announced Intel machines to the public at the WWDC in June 2005, but the first Intel Mac was not shipped till January 2006 with the original Intel iMac being the first model. It was a massive shock and I remember being in the building and everyone was walking around with shock on their faces as not even the developers had an idea when Steve announced it on stage. However there was 6 months between that announcement and the first Intel Mac being sold. (Not including developer transition machines).

Apple announce they will move to Intel (6th June 2005)

Apple announce they have started selling Intel machines (10 Jan 2006)

Although after the announcement Apple did release more PPC models like a new MacPro in October 2005 which came in 2.0Ghz & 2.3 GHz Dual Core and 2.5 Ghz Quad core configurations. It does suck when you buy a new machine before they annouce a new model though! Done that before. :(

Edwin

#39 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

Ok, ok.  I'll  take the  blame for  Trautman's bad rating. I'm sorry for being a sour pickle about this, and please forgive me everyone. I'm sure with this thread and all the thoughtful replies most if not all of us can benefit to be better informed and give more thoughtful and courteous reviews and ratings in the future.

Thank you everyone for your input on this and understanding.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#40 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:41 AM

*Still waiting for his PowerBook G5*
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter