55 replies to this topic

#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

Okie dokey smoky, new sections called "Missions" and "Multiplayer Screens" have been added to the first post.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

Downloading the X360 beta now. It had better be good. :)

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#43 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 9th 2008, 06:11 AM, said:

WE GOT GIBS!!!!!

About time! But on the same note, i wonder if its going a bit too far for a WW2 scenario?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#44 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

The PC beta is out! You can DL it here. Remember you need to be registered at www.callofduty.com to receive a key. Once your registered your key will be in your user control panel. Now excuse me while I put out the "rising sun".
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#45 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Yes! At least I do. I want to go up against the Japanese or Italians though. I like to coax Italians out of their foxholes with, "Eh Tony! Sammata you??" When he stands up to say, "Sammata wit YOU!" *Blam* he's dead. Throwing a bar of soap in there will flush them all out better than a grenade.

::waits patiently for Blackshawk:: Yes, I'm trying to flush him out.

Americans.  :glare:

I have often wondered, though, why none of the plethora of WW2 games out there ever touch on the Italy campaign. The Italian army may have largely folded up like a paper airplane once the Allies landed but there was some pretty fierce warfare once the Nazis went in and seized control. It would be a lot better than mindlessly repeated the same blasted Normandy landings again and again and again.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#46 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:53 AM

Do you mean for, or against the italians? Either way, its an Italy most people would like to forget. It was never as extreme a culture shift as Germany was with the NSDAP. I guess what i mean is, that you almost never align modern Germany with the the country it was, the good 12 years the NSDAP reigned supreme. Makes them an easy target in a war game.
Lets blast those nazi fools one more time!
Lets kill them damn i-talians!

Doesn't really work though eh?
I do agree though, if they are going to insist on WW2 games they should pick some more interesting campaigns. The Russian Campaign was good in CoD2, and the campaigns in waw look pretty interesting too.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#47 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:07 AM

View PostBlackshawk, on November 2nd 2008, 02:02 PM, said:

I have often wondered, though, why none of the plethora of WW2 games out there ever touch on the Italy campaign.
United Offensive had the invasion of Sicily, at least.

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

View PostTesseract, on November 2nd 2008, 01:07 AM, said:

The Battle Cat's World Tour Netpak featured a Marathon map called "Anzio".  Here is the history for that map:

The British 8th Army invaded Italy Sept. 3, 1943. Six days later the American Fifth Army landed at Salerno. For six days Axis armor attacked but naval gunfire and close air support helped the invaders to break out of the beachhead Sept. 15. The next day they joined the 8th Army coming from the south. The capture of Naples October 1 rounded out this campaign and opened the way for a bitter winter struggle at Cassino. By December the Fifth Army advance in Italy was stopped at the Gustav line based on Cassino. Despite bombardment by air and artillery the Nazis clung to their defenses. On Jan 22, 1944, the VI Corps landed behind the Gustav Line at Anzio but failed to break the stalemate. The assault troops were the 3rd Infantry division, rangers, paratroops and a British division.

In the map you can accurately replay this cataclysmic battle at Anzio provided of course that you take into account you can only have 8 guys and the map more resembles a Greek ruin and your armaments are from a totally different era and probably nobody in the game heard of Anzio or the battle there and nobody's mom walked in while they were fighting and nagged about their room being such a junkyard plus I don't think Mountain Dew was available back then.  But heck, other than that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:12 AM

View PostTesseract, on November 2nd 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

Battlefield 1942: Road to Rome, anyone? ;)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#50 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:27 AM

MoH also, to add the the games. I do not know which one(s) it is/they are though.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#51 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

View PostBlackshawk, on November 1st 2008, 10:02 PM, said:

Americans.  :glare:

I have often wondered, though, why none of the plethora of WW2 games out there ever touch on the Italy campaign. The Italian army may have largely folded up like a paper airplane once the Allies landed but there was some pretty fierce warfare once the Nazis went in and seized control. It would be a lot better than mindlessly repeated the same blasted Normandy landings again and again and again.

My late father-in-law fought tooth and claw northwards through Italy for a year (as did many Poles angry with the Germans) with the 5th Wilenska Infantry Brigade, 5th Kresowa Infantry Division, 2 Polish Corps, 8th British Army and managed to be awarded ... for an individual act of bravey on the battlefield ... Poland's second highest medal of bravery for combat action. But he never said what he did to get it before he died. He wound up near the River Po at the end of the action. Then again, if your back was scarred up with the traces of a mortar shell you might clam up too. I've searched every record available in the UK and Poland but the reason he won it is now lost (but the UK did send us another three medals he'd been awarded but had never received ... that was nice).

Of course, at the beginning of the war when Germany overran Poland, he and most of his eight brothers were also forced to fight for the "bad guys", the photos of which always weirded out my wife's first boyfriend who was Jewish (i.e., "WTF is your dad doing in the German uniform!? And why is he in a British uniform in this picture?"). Three of the brothers never returned after 1941.

Italy has a whole slew of great action for those looking for WW2 scenarios. I agree.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#52 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

:blink: Wow. That sounds like an interesting story.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#53 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 3rd 2008, 01:19 PM, said:

:blink: Wow. That sounds like an interesting story.

The most interesting part of it was after being separated from one of his brothers for six years after being torn apart in Poland in 1939, and not hearing from him during those years, he was standing at the roadside of the town in northern Italy where his unit had finished fighting during a parade of another British army unit when who should parade by but that very same brother! Tata apparently knocked down a civilian and his brother after breaking through the small crowd gathered to watch the soliders and leaping onto his brother in joy. They'd somehow both wound up fighting for the 2 Polish Corp in Italy through a remarkable coincidence. They're the two that moved to Canada.

<i'll stop hijacking the thread now>

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#54 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

I agree, very cool story. :)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#55 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

No, go on it's a great story. Both of my grandfather's were in the Army, however one was in the Corps of Engineers, while the other was in the Calvary Reserve and stayed at the local fort, riding the horses into town to get drunk. The funny thing is that he is the oldest living WW2 vet in our town and gets celebrated as such come parade time.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#56 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

My dad served aboard the USS Enterprise throughout WWII.  He was the radioman on that carrier who received word that Pearl Harbor had been bombed.  He was aboard her for every battle she fought during the war.  He got a chunk of shrapnel in his arm from a kamikaze for his troubles.  There wasn't enough room on his uniform to wear all the citations he earned in his naval career which also included Korea.  He went on to become the youngest Chief Petty Officer in the Navy.  

There is an excellent TV series about the Enterprise called Battle 360 created by the History Channel.  You can buy the DVD set like I did, it's pretty cool, a 4 DVD set in a steel case.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat