46 replies to this topic

#21 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

I did and still didn't load. It's that last bit of the blue line that won't load my saved game. The only difference is that I don't have the 1024 x 760 option. On mine it's 1024 x 768.

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

View PostMagellan, on October 11th 2008, 08:38 AM, said:

I did and still didn't load. It's that last bit of the blue line that won't load my saved game. The only difference is that I don't have the 1024 x 760 option. On mine it's 1024 x 768.
I set mine to 1024x768.  I'm sure "760" is a typo.  I found a freeze later in the game after I got it restarted.  The freeze required that you turn the computer off to recover from it.  I went to the lower settings (shadows turned off) and was able get past the spot that kept freezing me ... and I found another freeze with those settings.  This is really starting to suck.  It's a shame too because I love this game other than it being a stinking piece of popsnizzle.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Bill Ramey

Bill Ramey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

I just played the demo and started enjoying the game towards the end.  I'm wondering, though, is there just one town and one mega-dungeon next to the town?  Is the dungeon randomly-generated for each game?

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

Yes, one town, one superdeluxe ultramega dungeon.  No castle, no fortress, no nothing but a gigantic hole in the ground with a gate.  You gotta wonder what they bribed the zoning commissioner with.  There is random generation going on, but I'm not sure to what extent it is happening.  Per new game or per visit to Level X.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Bill Ramey

Bill Ramey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

I hope the kinks get worked out, because I'd like to get it.  If the CD is a hybrid Windows/Mac disk, it might be better to buy it rather than the digital download.

#26 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

I got the CD boxed version. It is a hybrid, but lists the Mac requirements first!

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

I got the CD boxed version too.

[EDIT] OK, I just heard back from Encore about my latest problem with crashing freezes while exploring:

We are sorry for this inconvenience but there are no known solution to your issue at this point of time.  You may come back at a later time and check for further inquires to a solution.

You may also visit our forums at Encore Forums <http://forums.encore...reusa.com>  and check for other possibilities.

If you are unsatisfied with the product and wants a refund then you may do so by visiting http://support.encoreusa.com.  There is a link for obtaining a refund under Refund Policy.  Follow the appropriate instructions to receive a refund.

We thank you for your business and we appreciate it.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Tommy

Tommy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

I got the same response from Encore Support, but the return policy does not address digital downloads.

How do we return a downloaded game?

I may just have to dispute the charge on my credit card, because MacGameStore.com does not refund digital downloads for any reason.

- Tommy

#29 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

Soooooooo, does this seem to be just a PPC issue and not an Intel issue, or is it an all encompassing Fate issue? Any Intel folks running this game successfully?

#30 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:28 AM

You know, if this IS only a PPC issue then I'm going to keep the game and put it on my intel machine when I upgrade.  The game is a lot of fun, easy to pick up and put down, so it fills that "got 15 minutes" niche very well.

So.. allow me to reiterate, is this a PPC only issue?  Anybody getting crashes, freezes or corrupt saves on Intel?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#31 Bill Ramey

Bill Ramey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

I'm on an Intel machine.  I'm either going to order the hybrid disc from Amazon or risk the digital purchase, and then I'll let you guys know if I have any problems.

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

A true foot soldier in the battle arena of games!  Thanks Bill, a noble effort on your part.  You probably won't notice anything until you get to about the 5th or 6th level of the dungeon.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Bill Ramey

Bill Ramey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Being more impatient than wise, I went ahead and made the digital purchase.  I'll start up a new character and see how things go.  I sure like having a Jack Russell Terrier for a buddy.  I like the cat, too, but the meowing gets annoying.  It was a smart move not to allow the pets to be killed.  No one wants to see a grown man weeping over his computer screen.  Oh wait, I mean that it's good for children.  Yeah, that's what I meant.

#34 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

There's apparently a 1.0.1 patch which just came out - there doesn't seem to be much detail in what fixes it provides.

I've thought about picking this game up for a while, given the rave reviews people have been giving it - I'm sort of waffling between that and Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. Would FATE be worth buying over Kult?
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#35 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Hey folks. The fixes were mainly to some registration problems with the game. Unfortunately we haven't received any bug fixes from Freeverse (they ported the game). I'll ask the Freeverse guys this coming week about some of the issues going on.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#36 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

I have been running Fate on a G4 MDD 10.411 for a while now. I have the Hybrid CD version and the game is installed on a secondary drive and not in the applications folder.
I have also had the same problems with this game as described by others here; quests not completed even when the item is returned, quests not completed even when the requirements are complete, etc, with the following additions: Sometimes the return to dungeon function goes to the wrong level (left level 8, returned to level 5), inventory items disappearing, and character stats changing after a save.
IMO, this game was badly coded and not tested. Too bad. It is a great time waster.

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

::A hologram of the Battle Cat in a gown and curlers is projected from a carbon scored bot::

Help us Freeverse, you're our only hope!  ... does this gown make my ass look fat?

::static then the hologram loops::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Bill Ramey

Bill Ramey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:40 PM

OK, I've played for a while.  Beowulf the Respected is now level 8, and he's on dungeon level 9.  So far, so good.  I'm on an Intel machine running Tiger 10.4.10.  I have blur and vsync off since they slow down performance, and I'm running at 1440x900.  My dog's name is Jack.

It's a nifty game, albeit a bit too random.  I'd like to see a collection mechanic added to the game, e.g., each floor could have some hidden tokens.  Secret areas might be fun, too.

#39 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

View PostOsgoodShepard, on October 18th 2008, 09:29 AM, said:

I have been running Fate on a G4 MDD 10.411 for a while now. I have the Hybrid CD version and the game is installed on a secondary drive and not in the applications folder.
I have also had the same problems with this game as described by others here; quests not completed even when the item is returned, quests not completed even when the requirements are complete, etc, with the following additions: Sometimes the return to dungeon function goes to the wrong level (left level 8, returned to level 5), inventory items disappearing, and character stats changing after a save.
IMO, this game was badly coded and not tested. Too bad. It is a great time waster.

It is my fate to say goodbye to 'Fate'. Off the hard drive. No quest has been marked complete since my last post and now the saved game won't load.

#40 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

I let my brother-in-law borrow Fate from me, since mine won't load my last save anymore. He has the early Intel Macs (Not Core Duo). He stopped by today to tell me that he finished the game (after level 44 you have the option of retiring, which he did). His OS is 10.4x
He said it crashed a couple of times, but a re-boot took him back to his last save. He saved quite a bit, so it wasn't a really big deal. So I guess my point is that if you have an Intel Mac, you're probably going to be OK playing this game...