46 replies to this topic

#1 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

I have 2 completely different problems RE: Fate.

1) There have been occasions where I have the item needed to complete my quest, but when I go back to the person (who offered me the quest) to collect my reward, they act like my quest hasn't been completed--and I have the exact item they seek!

2)I went to continue a saved game, and the blue progress bar loads about ninety-five percent, and just stays there, never quite loaded. And so now, I can't even play the game anymore.

I'm running 10.3.9  768 mb ram  1.25 GZ Power PC.

I'm wondering if it's because I installed Fate in HD/Games instead of HD/Applications....but I don't wanna reinstall and start all over if I have to...but could this be the cause?

Thanks for any input!
:o

#2 msykes

msykes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:17 PM

View PostMagellan, on October 2nd 2008, 06:38 PM, said:

I have 2 completely different problems RE: Fate.

1) There have been occasions where I have the item needed to complete my quest, but when I go back to the person (who offered me the quest) to collect my reward, they act like my quest hasn't been completed--and I have the exact item they seek!

2)I went to continue a saved game, and the blue progress bar loads about ninety-five percent, and just stays there, never quite loaded. And so now, I can't even play the game anymore.

I'm running 10.3.9  768 mb ram  1.25 GZ Power PC.

I'm wondering if it's because I installed Fate in HD/Games instead of HD/Applications....but I don't wanna reinstall and start all over if I have to...but could this be the cause?

Thanks for any input!
:o

So you should be able to just move the application directory over to HD/Applications/ if you want to give that a shot.  All of the save game information though is saved in Library/Application Support/Fate/, and so that location should be unaffected either way.  So you can safely re-install without wiping out your save game (I think!).

When you go back to the person, has your quest log updated?  And is their diamond orange on the mini-map?  

I have not had either of these problems, so sadly can't help.  And given that the company doesn't even know they have a Mac version, I'm not optimistic you'd get much support.  

I notice you are running 10.3.9... anybody else running 10.3.X and Fate?  I'm running 10.5 myself.

msykes

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:33 AM

I'm running Fate on a G5 10.4.11 in a games folder inside my applications folder and haven't experienced any problems yet.  Great game, it's perfect for packing in a little game play at any odd bit of time.  Play a little, play a lot.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

View Postmsykes, on October 3rd 2008, 12:17 AM, said:

So you should be able to just move the application directory over to HD/Applications/ if you want to give that a shot.  All of the save game information though is saved in Library/Application Support/Fate/, and so that location should be unaffected either way.  So you can safely re-install without wiping out your save game (I think!).

When you go back to the person, has your quest log updated?  And is their diamond orange on the mini-map?  

I have not had either of these problems, so sadly can't help.  And given that the company doesn't even know they have a Mac version, I'm not optimistic you'd get much support.  

I notice you are running 10.3.9... anybody else running 10.3.X and Fate?  I'm running 10.5 myself.

msykes

I will move it to HD/Applications and see what happens tonite--thanks for the suggestion. I hope that's all it is.

And no, the quest log does not update, and their is no diamond above their head. It's funny because I HAVE completed a few quests, so I know what you're talking about...but the last 3 quests--NADA.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on October 3rd 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

I'm running Fate on a G5 10.4.11 in a games folder inside my applications folder and haven't experienced any problems yet.  Great game, it's perfect for packing in a little game play at any odd bit of time.  Play a little, play a lot.

I noticed that you said that your games folder is inside your applications folder--maybe that's it--I'll try tonite.
Thank-you

#5 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

So far so good. Reinstalled into HD/Applications folder. Old saved game STILL did not load, so I trashed that folder. Started a new game.

The only thing left is that some quests still don't work unless I leave and come back, sometimes 2-3 times! In other words: if I have 3 different quests on level 2, all 3 of those quests won't be in level 2 at the same time...sometimes 2 of them are, sometimes 1, and sometimes NONE! That's when I have to leave and then go thru the entire level again and MAYBE finish a quest. Does this happen to anyone else?

#6 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:43 AM

I've had the same problems. I lost a character due to the same refusal to load that you mention and I've had to retry levels several times to finish missions. On a couple of occasions missions have simply refused to complete despite having the items necessary. In those cases I cancelled the missions and started with new ones.  I'm also using OS X 10.3.9 and have the game installed outside of the Applications folder.

#7 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Here the latest (and greatest) problem:
If you perish in battle, you have 3 options to come back to life. However, at the bottom right you can just quit (which is totally ok according to the PDF manual). When you quit, you have to re-boot the game, but at least you return to your last save--as if nothing had happened. Wrong! IT IS HERE THAT IT WON'T RE-LOAD MY LAST SAVE. Therefore I'm giving up. There's no way I'm gonna start all-over again!

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

The game just went haywire for me.  It crashes to the desktop when it tries to load it's only saved game.  And of course that sucks, but I did find a place to report the problem.  Start here by entering "Fate" without the quotes.  It gives you a choice of two games, choose "Fate".  This takes you to a page of links that won't help you, I've gone through them already.  Just click on the "Knowledge Base Articles" link.  This brings up more links that won't help you except for the "Online Support Request" link so click that and then select "Lockup/Crash" from the drop down list and you will get a bug report form.  Have your system crash log ready to paste: look in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Fate.crash.log.

A note here, this form is very testy.  Make sure you have your birth date in the exact format and that you have set your cookies to "Always" before hand or it will spit up and die on you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Thank-you Battle Cat. I followed your fine instructions exactly. I guess we'll see what happens.

#10 Tommy

Tommy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

I also have the save/load problem with my PowerMac G5 dual 2GHz running 10.3.9. Looks like it's a 10.3.9 problem.

The email for support is support@encoresoftware.com, but be prepared for a useless reply. All they did was tell me to tweak the graphics settings. Of course that didn't help at all. The problem persists, I'm out twenty bucks, and my 9-year-old keeps asking me "When is it gonna be fixed, Dad?"

Eventually after a few emails Encore told me to get a refund, but their refund policy says to send back the original box and discs. I have yet to figure out how to deal with a digital download.

What a hassle. The quality control on this product is terrible. They clearly did not test it thoroughly on 10.3.9.

- Tommy

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

This problem persists in 10.4.11 on my G5, so the problem transcends 10.3.9.  Just to put that out there.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

Like Tommy said in a previous post, Encore sent me the "tweak the graphics" routine, which didn't work.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

I got the same email.  I'll run down the list and try it so I won't be lying to him when I say I tried it and it didn't help.  These same instructions were on the support website and I already turned everything down to it's lowest setting which exceeded their list to no avail.  Of course, I told them that, but I got this form email in response.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

Guess I'm glad that I didn't buy Fate a couple nights ago at the Apple store. Bummed that it is running so poorly, tho.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Me too.  It's a great game, everything I wanted it to be.  It's a damn shame it is fatally flawed.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Gus

Gus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

Had same problem like other players with quests & loading of saved games on my G4 MDD 10.4.11.

Works fine on my intel Imac.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

View PostGus, on October 8th 2008, 07:46 AM, said:

Had same problem like other players with quests & loading of saved games on my G4 MDD 10.4.11.

Works fine on my intel Imac.
How far into the game have you gotten on your intel iMac?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

Ah, well... good news for me.  I set my options to the recommended setting for a "higher performing machine" and I was able to load the save that was crashing.

Here is the settings they recommend:

For higher-performing machines, enable Blur.

Screen resolution: 1024x760
   Shadows: Players Only
   Particles: Medium
   Antialiasing: On
   Light Blur: On
   Shadow Detail: Medium
   VSYNC: On
   Fog: Animated

For lower-performing machines, disable Shadows.

Shadows: Off

Good luck you guys.  It sounds cheesy, but this is how it works.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Magellan

Magellan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on October 8th 2008, 08:57 PM, said:

Ah, well... good news for me.  I set my options to the recommended setting for a "higher performing machine" and I was able to load the save that was crashing.

Here is the settings they recommend:

For higher-performing machines, enable Blur.

For lower-performing machines, disable Shadows.

Shadows: Off

Good luck you guys.  It sounds cheesy, but this is how it works.

Unfortunately for me, the news is not so good.
I tried the lower-machine settings, and when that didn't worked, I turned everything off or went to the lowest setting when possible.
Still no luck :crying:

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

View PostMagellan, on October 10th 2008, 05:39 PM, said:

Unfortunately for me, the news is not so good.
I tried the lower-machine settings, and when that didn't worked, I turned everything off or went to the lowest setting when possible.
Still no luck :crying:

Try the higher setting.  That's the one that worked for me:

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat