#21 Vulpine

Vulpine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

Safari for me.

1) Speed. It's fast, fast, FAST! Especially with the updates in recent versions of Leopard, nothing on my MBP comes close.
2) Features. While tabbed browsing is old hat these days, Safari's implementation is nice, and its version of drag and drop tabs feels much nicer than Firefox's to me.
3) Appearance. The UI is clean and functional, and uses all-native widgets.
4) Web Clip. I thought this would be a gimmick at first, but having used it for some of my favourite webcomics, I couldn't live without it.

#22 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

The new Seamonkey 2.0 Alpha1 is out!!!!!!

Party on dudes! :)

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#23 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:52 AM

The new SeaMonkey 1.1.13 is out!!! :P

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#24 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

I support Firefox 2+, Safari, and Opera.
I don't support any others, so if anything I make doesnt render right in your browser...it'll be hard to get me to fix it :D
I won't ever support Chrome, or IE, though, so don't even ask.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

View PostFrigidman, on November 13th 2008, 04:23 PM, said:

I won't ever support Chrome, ...
Well, since Chrome uses WebKit as does Safari, you'll indirectly do.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

I'll support Opera when it starts rendering like FF and Safari :)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#27 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

View PostFrigidman, on November 13th 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

I support Firefox 2+, Safari, and Opera.
I don't support any others, so if anything I make doesnt render right in your browser...it'll be hard to get me to fix it :D
SeaMonkey is built on the same Mozilla Gecko engine as FireFox has. So, yes you
indirectly support SeaMonkey too. As it happens, I'd like to thank you too: SeaMonkey works awesome on IMG if not one of the best sites I browse with monkey. Keep up the great job, dude!

View PostFrigidman, on November 13th 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

I won't ever support Chrome, or IE, though, so don't even ask.
No worries there. I mainly use Firefox/Minefield, Camino G4 optimized, and the all-in-one internet suite SeaMonkey, which has a wonderful, helpful community.

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#28 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Heh, well, I may indirectly support them, but it doesn't mean they are error-free in their rendering of pages by spec. I mean, in a perfect world, EVERYONE uses the same specs... but they all interpret them different. Like, there is a weird glitch in opera at times with divs that stack next to each other in a hidden overflow (hard to explain). It works fine in basically everything else I look at it in, but opera just glitches on it.

Same goes with Firefox and anchors around divs (I know its not proper, but people do it, so it should be written in to handle it flawlessly). Safari has no trouble, same with other browsers, but firefox likes to just randomly drop the anchor. Its weird.

By "Support" I mean, I fully test sites out in those specific browsers so I know nothing screwy is going on. I wont load up Chrome, so I dont support it. If that makes sense?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#29 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

Firefox all the way. I've tried quite a few browsers over the years, and I've yet to come across a browser as flexible or customizable as FF.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#30 EVWeb

EVWeb

Fan

• IMG Pro Users
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

Safari because it simply works.

Netscape 7 on OS 9 because it's the most modern browser on OS 9.
Programming Vaporware Since 2002.

#31 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Safari (well... Webkit nightly)

Text is uglier in firefox, it doesn't support OS X dictionary, some of the buttons on web pages don't render properly, the scroll speed and acceleration is different from every other OS X app, pages load slower, it crashes more often. The awesomebar is a nice feature, but I would never consider using Firefox until they release a real OS X version, not just a Windows port with some makeup on it to try to make it look like an OS X app.

I can't remember my last Safari crash, it is snappy, text looks good, it fits in with the rest of OS X in how it looks, acts, and feels, it supports all the features that come with a Cocoa interface. I do however have two complaints. No "awesomebar," and it doesn't have each tab as a separate thread a la Chrome. I don't like problems with a single website slowing down my whole browser.

If Google finally releases an OS X version of Chrome, and they do it right, I'd consider using it. They'd have to follow Apple UI guidelines and use Cocoa for the UI. With how they did the Windows version, it seems doubtful that they'd follow Apple's conventions. The design makes sense as an extension of the Windows UI paradigm (the window is the app), but when the window is just an element of the application, it no longer makes sense.

As with most ports, they'll probably go the easy route and use Carbon for the interface because it is more cross-platform friendly.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#32 digt

digt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

It's a toss up between Safari and Firefox for me.

Safari is much more polished, usable, and includes the easiest sync support. It's fast and like other have said "just works". My choice on my Mac.

Firefox is much more customizable (themes, a weather plugin, a download plugin, and a flash blocker are what I use on Windows), sync support is there but requires more steps, automatically restores itself after a crash (instead of manually going to History > Reopen in Safari), and it automatically opens all the tabs from when you quit. I also prefer the way Firefox saves webpages.

#33 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:36 AM

Like the previous poster, for me it's a close call between Safari 3 & Firefox 3, both of which I think are mostly excellent. If I was forced to choose one, then Firefox 3 just shades it for me for overall speed & stability (I still get a few too many spinning beach-balls on Safari 3).  But I suspect this is likely to change with Safari 4, which promises significant improvements all round.  Also looking forward to trying out Google's "Chrome" when it becomes available for Mac.

#34 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:09 AM

I remember seeing a rumour that MS might switch over to Webkit for the engine behind Internet Explorer. Thatd be pretty ironic, but also pretty great in terms of spreading compatibility for Safari to all the secure banking sites which still block it or dont offer it any support.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#35 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

View Postteflon, on November 21st 2008, 08:09 AM, said:

I remember seeing a rumour that MS might switch over to Webkit for the engine behind Internet Explorer. Thatd be pretty ironic, but also pretty great in terms of spreading compatibility for Safari to all the secure banking sites which still block it or dont offer it any support.

Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease. That would be great. I'd be surprised, given that the IE engine gets used in things like Outlook (and an even more outdated version to boot!), but that would make the lives of so many web designers easier.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#36 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

OmniWeb is now free, so you no longer have any excuse.

#37 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

well yes, but aside from visual tabs on the side it has no real advantages over Safari.
Especially when it comes to speed and GUI linkage to the central OS, Safari wins out.
Sure you need to install hacks or plug-ins or whatever to get the other features, but even with that, Safari is still rock solid, super fast and fits in perfectly.

And Im hoping for some nifty expose advantages with 10.6 (though Ive been hoping for them for the last 4 or 5 years now...)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#38 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

View PostTesseract, on March 18th 2009, 05:43 PM, said:

I have one: it won't be developed any further.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#39 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Hello Tesseract!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#40 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

View PostTesseract, on March 18th 2009, 09:43 AM, said:

And who, pray tell, are you?  (welcome back)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat