bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:43 AM

View Postteflon, on October 5th 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

such as?
Damn. I think you're right. Maybe I can replace that argument about exclusives with one about how most studios try to be diverse?

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:45 AM

I guess you could.

You can also run with the whole MS having to buy out the exclusives on PS3 to make them cross-platform, as I said.
Generally, this is only going to happen with larger companies or studios. So, Capcom, Rockstar, Square-Enix (though its important to note that MS only went after FF XIII and not Versus XIII). Basically the stuff that is up for negotiation anyway, as these companies arent dependent on either console.

But when it comes to a) platform loyalty and b) smaller studios, Sony and the PS3 are winning thanks to the PS2's legacy. Sony are doing a lot of great 2nd party work, with Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch all working solely on the PS3. Also, one of the primary reasons for MGS4 starting off and staying on the PS3 was the Kojima felt Sony and the Playstation brand had been good to the MGS games.

Finally, you have to take into account how far into development a game is. Generally, if a game starts off on PS3 and gets halfway through development, it will already be tied into certain features of the PS3. Some of those are easier to work around than others, like motion control, but things like the ever present HDD and the size of the BR disk can be influential. So, MGS4 and LBP would be very difficult to port to the X360 without spanning disks and requiring a HDD.. Thats not to say that either would have been possible to make for the X360 had MS stepped in early enough, both could have been on X360.

of course, all these 'rules' are meant to be broken.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:50 AM

I think the Wii - or any other Nintendo console - has actually far more exclusive titles than the PS3 and the Xbox 360 together.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#44 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:04 AM

Anyone noticed a lot of Japanese exclusives on Japanese consoles?

I'm not saying years of deep-set racism but... I am.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:42 AM

View Postcharmin, on October 6th 2008, 02:04 PM, said:

Anyone noticed a lot of Japanese exclusives on Japanese consoles?
That's no longer completely true: there are a quite a few exclusive Xbox titles from Japanese developers, but many of them don't seem to make it to the rest of the world. A recent example (although they will be all available also outside of Japan) are a couple of RPGs by Square Enix that they are releasing at the moment (including the strangly titled "Infinite Undiscovery" and "Star Ocean").

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#46 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

haha, nicely spotted Janich. However, I dont think the Wii is comparable to the PS3 and X360 in terms of exclusives. Almost any game that really uses the Wii's controller will be nigh on impossible to re-create on the others. Similarly, all of the cross platform games which also appear on the Wii are effectively 2 seperate games with a totally different underlying tech running. Fifa Wii features pointer integration, so plays completely differently to Fifa PS3 or X360.

One area where MS are doing rather well is DLC. The basically started it all off, and got ahead through that, but it stands that the majority of the time, if there is DLC, it will be exclusive to the X360. Fallout 3, GTA4, and now TR:Underworld to name but a few. Theres a few notable exceptions to this rule, such as Burnout Paradise, which is cross platform DLC, and Mirror's Edge (actually the PS3 was the lead platform here). But most of the time, MS are plunking down the hard cash to get the devs to commit to exclusive DLC. That way, they pull in the sales from people with both consoles, whilst the devs lose nothing, because those on the PS3 only will still buy the game if they want it.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#47 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:41 AM

View Postteflon, on October 7th 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

haha, nicely spotted Janich. However, I dont think the Wii is comparable to the PS3 and X360 in terms of exclusives. Almost any game that really uses the Wii's controller will be nigh on impossible to re-create on the others.
True. But the Gamecube also already had more exclusive titles than its contemporary competitors (that's why I added the "or any other Nintendo console" part). Anything with "Mario", "Zelda", "Metroid" or "Donkey Kong" in the title is Nintendo exclusive (which is of course because Nintendo owns these franchises), plus several odd titles that don't belong to these series (like Pikmin), plus some games based on existing franchises like Resident Evil Zero or the Rogue Squadron sequels.

#48 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:42 AM

yup, sure, but, again, the GC is separate from the Xbox and PS2. After the first year or two, 3rd party devs had largely dropped GC support, so it had less of the cross platform games that the others had. As for the exclusives themselves, you rightly pointed out that most of them are from Nintendo, but aside from Capcom, there wasnt any real big 3rd party exclusives push. Even Capcom went back on their 5 game exclusives deal. PN.03.E (or whatever it was called) wasnt particularly good, another one got cancelled, Killer 7 and Resi 4 came to the PS2, whilst Resi 0 wasnt different enough to warrant being ported.

Don't get me wrong, the GC was great, it had loads of good games, but it was supported almost solely on the strength of Nintendo's catalogue.

in order to be successful, you dont just need exclusives, you also need the cross platform titles. Thats why the Wii is such a success. It has that particular novelty which managed to make it a massive flash in the pan, which was large enough to ensure that large 3rd parties like EA have to try and support it lest they lose out on the biggest home console audience there is after the PS2.

#49 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:28 AM

View Postteflon, on October 7th 2008, 10:42 AM, said:

yup, sure, but, again, the GC is separate from the Xbox and PS2. After the first year or two, 3rd party devs had largely dropped GC support, so it had less of the cross platform games that the others had.
I think, part of the problem was that the GC had some technical drawbacks in comparison to the Xbox and the PS2, like the smaller capacity of the rather unsual sized disks. I know quite a few games didn't come since they would have had to cut out a considerable amount of content.

But you are right: the amount of exclusive titles on the GameCube is countered by the lack of popular titles that were released on other platforms.

#50 Heimdal

Heimdal

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Sorry but what have CG, PS2, PS3 and other consoles to do with Aspyr ? COD4 is released and no date for the patch up to version 1.7. I check the Aspyr support page daily to find some news :zonk:

#51 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

View PostHeimdal, on October 7th 2008, 04:21 PM, said:

Sorry but what have CG, PS2, PS3 and other consoles to do with Aspyr?
Some posit that the market causes Aspyr's difficulties more than anything Aspyr can control.

COD4 is released and no date for the patch up to version 1.7. I check the Aspyr support page daily to find some news :zonk:
That's not news, that's just history repeating. They'll get it out in a few weeks to a few months more.

#52 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

I finally broke down and bought the Winblows version. Before you start pestering me with the whole " I don't want to reboot, I'm lazy and want to avoid anti-virus software" debate; I'll pester you with my debates. I want a virtually bugfree game, with the latest maps, patches and mods. I want to be able to call up the support center and get a helpful answer. I want to not have to pay $50-$60 dollars for a DRM-ridden copy of a game that's almost a year old. I want to support Mac gaming, but I'll do it with porting houses like Feral or Macsoft.

Or maybe it's the Red Bull talking...

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#53 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

I think that Aspyr has reached a point where it needs to reinvent itself. Porting a AAA game every few years is not going to do it. Clearly, the Aspyr of today has fallen far from where the company was years ago.

Also, jumping onto the iPhone game bandwagon isn't going to do it either. There is no way that Aspyr can compete with the likes of EA, Sega, Namco, etc. on that platform.

Their GameAgent is absolutely ridiculous and misses the whole point of having an online distribution capability! They should take a look at www.gog.com

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#54 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

View Postrichmlow, on October 7th 2008, 08:42 PM, said:

I think that Aspyr has reached a point where it needs to reinvent itself.
They publish quite a few PC and some console/handheld games, so I think they have diversified already.

Their GameAgent is absolutely ridiculous and misses the whole point of having an online distribution capability! They should take a look at www.gog.com
They come pretty close to EA's offering, even with the prices and the 'download insurance', so I don't know if it's going to fail totally because it sucks. EA even uses Digital River, too. The interview gives the reasons they can't do a back catalogue like GoG, and they probably have a problem with their current catalogue for the same reasons. Meh. Have a good life, Aspyr.

#55 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:17 PM

Ya know I drift into this forum a few times a year to say hi and such but let me tell you guys something....Aspyr isnt going anywhere. They may merge or get bought out but this "Aspyrs going down!" crap has been going on for years. Just enjoy your macs and watch. Or get a PC like me :)
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#56 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 8th 2008, 05:17 AM, said:

Or get a PC like me :)

Is that PC running XP or Vista?  How's it better than a Mac running OS X?  As one who doesn't rule out getting a PC in future,  I'm genuinely interested (though I imagine I'll definitely be keeping my Macs).  ;)

#57 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

Im 99% sure that TMM only has a PC for gaming. he still uses a mac for every day things.
So, to follow his example, instead of having a PC as a full computer upgrade and replacement, he has it on the side. Aside from gaming and other GPU critical programmes, a 3 year old mac can run everything perfectly fine. Even older than that and you might notice one or two niggling slow downs with Time Machine etc. etc.

View PostMr. Selvetarm, on October 8th 2008, 02:17 AM, said:

I want to not have to pay $50-$60 dollars for a DRM-ridden copy of a game that's almost a year old.

The retail version isnt DRM ridden, unless youre talking about the requirement to have a DVD in the drive. Also, as far as Im aware, CoD 4 is generally still at full price across the board. Thats what happens when it stays in the top 15 games sold most of the time on all platforms. Only when it hits the budget range on the consoles will its price drop.
As for bugs and the latest patch, fair enough. But I ask you this. Would you really notice that much?
So you cant choose from 1000 servers, youre stuck with, say, 100. And you're missing 4 maps, but seeing as youre playing against patch 1.5 players, they wont have them either, so thats no major hassle.

View Postbobbob, on October 8th 2008, 04:54 AM, said:

EA even uses Digital River, too.

that doesnt mean that its a) very successful, nor b) any good.
EA using Digital River just means that Digital River approached EA (or vice versa) about not letting Steam steal the entire DDL market (think of all the MP3 stores that jumped up in iTunes' wake). Its clear that either way, DR got to call the shots, and got their way with the contract. If it is selling at all well, then EA will keep it going. If it doesnt, then EA has to keep it going because of the contract and also the small number of people that bought through it.

#58 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

View Postteflon, on October 8th 2008, 03:48 PM, said:

that doesnt mean that its a) very successful, nor b) any good
As I said DR's involvement means it sucks totally, but I agree that it could still be successful enough to keep it.

#59 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

oh yeah...
guess i should've actually read what you wrote instead of just trying to guess :P

#60 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

View Postteflon, on October 8th 2008, 11:48 PM, said:

Im 99% sure that TMM only has a PC for gaming. he still uses a mac for every day things.
So, to follow his example, instead of having a PC as a full computer upgrade and replacement, he has it on the side. Aside from gaming and other GPU critical programmes, a 3 year old mac can run everything perfectly fine. Even older than that and you might notice one or two niggling slow downs with Time Machine etc. etc.

Thanks.  Yes, that makes sense, only with some of his recent comments heavily criticizing Apple, I couldn't be sure.  For a moment I thought we had one of those relatively rare (but not unheard of) cases of a switcher to PCs & wondered how come.  :huh:  I guess I'm off-balance with my own dithering about whether to add a PC or not, for similar reasons.  I consider my Macs to be great computers, but the lack of Mac hardware choices remains a constant source of frustration.  I also have a thing about glossy screens & regret Apple adopting them for all their consumer Macs.