68 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Aspyr Media has launched GameAgent, its digital download store. The store debuts with two Mac titles available for download and purchase: Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat and the SAT prep game futureU.

Users of the store are allowed to download their purchases once to a single machine and deauthorize and install it on other machines two more times. For a $4.99 per game fee users can purchase a two year Extended Download Service which allows owners to make multiple downloads of previously purchased game titles.

More about GameAgent:

What can I do at GameAgent.com?
• Purchase games and download them online
• Play games without physical CD/DVD media
• Register your games online
• Receive alerts on game updates
• Receive alerts to current Aspyr projects and new games
• Take advantage of special offers

Can I switch to a new machine and still have my games?
Yes, but only if you have purchased the Extended Download Service (EDS). EDS essentially allows you to download your purchase again for up to two (2) years, in the event your computer crashes or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt. It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer or the downloaded product. When you have downloadable items in your order, you will see a link to add EDS to your order on the shopping cart page or the checkout page. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service").
To purchase EDS for download products in a completed order, you must look up your order and complete an additional purchase.
You are also allowed to activate your game up to 3 times with a single serial number.

How will GameAgent.com handle piracy issues?
Each game that you download is, by default, locked to your computer. A game can only be played on the particular computer where it has been authorized.
For more information about the new store head over to the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

Users of the store are allowed to download their purchases once to a single machine and deauthorize and install it on other machines two more times. For a $4.99 per game fee users can purchase a two year Extended Download Service which allows owners to make multiple downloads of previously purchased game titles.
Oh wow how GENEROUS Aspyr is to let me, a customer who buys the software, be able to download it for up to 2 years as long as I pay extra! Here I thought all digital distribution methods are crippled by DRM that effectively makes you that company's biotch (can I say that here? If not I apologize) and takes away your ownership of what you bought!

In all honesty though, I hope consumers resist giving their money to any crazy DRM scheme like the one above. I find it ridiculous that you can only reinstall 3 times or for 2 years if you pay even more. If that was the case for all my games, I'd have been screwed for a while now. I was pretty excited about Aspyr's store too, but I can't buy something unless I have the full guarantee that it is MINE and that I can install it whenever I want, wherever I want, however I want.

I remember I bought some shareware Mac program through digitalriver a few years ago, and it prompted me to buy an "extended download service" - I thought that was utter crap, like it's a huge hassle for them to host a file or something. I believe I found you could just download the update package from the dev's site and input your registration key though so it worked out well :).
私は今日日本語で話します。

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

You can still download the game, burn it to a disk or copy to a harddrive and have a manual backup and skip the extra charge.

COD4 bought and downloading. What kind of speeds are you guys getting?

#4 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

Wow.  I was looking forward to being able to download Aspyr games, but with DRM that restrictive?  Hell no.

I used to respect Aspyr a lot for sticking with their uphill battle to bring triple-A games to the Mac.  But with idiocy like the GameAgent DRM, my respect is fast disappearing.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#5 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

Es necesario la espada y la colonización!
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#6 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

I normally don't mind DRM, but these policies are absolutely obscene. The whole benefit of a download system is being able to re-download the game.

GameAgent allows purchasers to download a given title once to a single Mac. Then gamers can de-authorize and install the game on a new computer two more times.
Three activations?!?! You'd think they'd have learned something from the whole Spore debacle EA had.

I normally like ASPYR and think they generally do great work and are a huge asset to the Mac community, but this is a fire trucking trainwreck. I hope someone from ASPYR at least attempts to explain this atrocity to us.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#7 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 24th 2008, 11:56 PM, said:

I normally don't mind DRM, but these policies are absolutely obscene. The whole benefit of a download system is being able to re-download the game.
Three activations?!?! You'd think they'd have learned something from the whole Spore debacle EA had.

I normally like ASPYR and think they generally do great work and are a huge asset to the Mac community, but this is a fire trucking trainwreck. I hope someone from ASPYR at least attempts to explain this atrocity to us.

Bleh, idiots, also only available for US, Canada and Mexico. This vaporware is here way too late and in popsnizzle assed form.... at least http://gametreeonline.com/ supports international gamers and if you request it from them you can get a re-download.

#8 MacManX

MacManX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

View PostHansi, on September 25th 2008, 01:03 PM, said:

Bleh, idiots, also only available for US, Canada and Mexico. This vaporware is here way too late and in popsnizzle assed form.... at least http://gametreeonline.com/ supports international gamers and if you request it from them you can get a re-download.

*Sigh*... For a moment I thought that this tool might actually be useful. How silly of me.

#9 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Ooo, anybody finished their COD4 download yet?

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#10 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Gee, the don't even offer the Mac version of Stubbs for download...  :(

#11 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

*Sigh* It's EA all over again...
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#12 dorkhero

dorkhero

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

(( Hardcore EA style DRM) +

(only TWO Mac games) *

(FIVE Windows games)) /

a company that used to champion the Mac OS platform =

EPIC FAIL in the making!!!

I'll go get my games somewhere else...

#13 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

EPIC FAIL in the making!!!
I think it's more just EPIC INCOMPREHENSIBLE. I might say fail, but there's really nothing here to even succeed. If you're really that concerned about losing revenue to pirates that you totally handcuff the customer (and don't have the personnel to be able to repeal activation limits like EA does), what's the point of going ahead with this?

No quantity, no flexibility, no point. GameAgent.

Shop TODAY!

#14 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

Since Aspyr's followed down the path laid by EA and 2K with Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Spore, making the same mistakes and some new ones, I'd just like to say that Good Old Games has some great games such as MDK1-2, Giants, Fallout 1-Tactics, Freespace 1-2, and Kingpin. Under $10, no DRM, extras, unlimited downloads.

#15 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

If this is Aspyr's way of making people think that maybe disc checks aren't so bad after all, I guess it's working....  I like to play older games sometimes, but if I bought games using GameAgent, and I go to play them a few years from now when I have a new Mac, I would be totally screwed.  Even if you pay the extortion fee, it's only for a couple of years...somehow I don't think I'm interested.

--Eric

#16 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

And they have Stubbs for PC but not for Mac? WTF? 71% of the games are 'pre-orders' and not even available yet? W. T. F. Digital River? Low-rent what the fire truck ghetto.

#17 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't a digital download with such restrictive DRM cost less than the physical version? I can't see the incentive to pay more just to be handcuffed... well, not in this case anyway.

#18 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

I'm very glad Feral exists.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#19 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

Wow, what a complete EPIC fail Aspyr.  Uh... that's a really nice NON-consumer friendly DRM scheme you got there.  Remind me to NEVER buy anything digital or RETAIL from you guys ever again.  I'm done with Aspyr.  This "store" was suppose to be out, what, 3 years ago?  Perhaps the DRM scheme would have been ok 3 years ago.  But consumers have wised up since then.  Check out the Spore reviews on Amazon.com.  Microsoft and their DRM disaster with the Xbox 360.

What in the h**l are you guys and gals in Texas thinking?!?  Pay extra for "download" insurance?   :bleedingeyes: Completely blown away at how completely craptastic this is.

Unbelievable.

Long live Feral.  Long live MacSoft.  RIP Aspyr.

Edit:  Wow, just actually took a look at the "store".  3 years and you just bought the Digital River store front... the same EXACT one EA uses to sell their DRM encrypted wares online.  Nicely done...
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#20 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

View Postbobbob, on September 24th 2008, 07:58 PM, said:

I'd just like to say that Good Old Games has some great games such as MDK1-2, Giants, Fallout 1-Tactics, Freespace 1-2, and Kingpin. Under $10, no DRM, extras, unlimited downloads.
Excellent tip!  First I'd heard of it.  Sounds very good, DRM free ftw!

www.gog.com
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.