161 replies to this topic

#41 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:49 AM

yup, that trackpad isnt glass. People that say it is are idiots.
There had better be a matte version, or my current MBP will be the last one I buy. I can understand glossy to some extent, but putting a sheet of glass on my entire screen takes it way too far for me. Apple will just have lost practically every visual professional there is if there isnt a matte option.
Another issue I have is the hidden speakers. I mean sure, it might be a great idea for the macbook, but when youve got the space on the side of the keyboard like on the MBP, I dont see the need to hide them. The only reason to do so if because they tend to catch dirt, and would increase risk with liquid spillages...

anyway, the internals look exciting with the whole SLI thing (one or two rumour sites are suggesting it could be two distint GPUs and not one integrated, one distinct), but for me it all comes down to the screen. Thats what I stare at for hours and hours, and if its glossy with glass Im gonna shoot something.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#42 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:43 AM

I agree about the above MBP looking like a vanity mirror. I think it takes all respectability and professionalism out of the laptop that screams it. From what I know, it seems like Apple have made a whole image of being professional and very respectable when it comes to the business look of their hardware, as when I think of brushed metal, I generally think of high-end (slightly expensive) Apple laptops and towers. That is what they have come to be, that is what the G5 towers and the G4 Powerbooks have given, that type of legacy. To go and ruin it all with glass and an ink black image I think is just wrong.

Liberator.

P.S. As AMG has already said, let us soon find out if this atrocious rumour/speculation is true or false.

Edit: I just read Teflon's post; I concur. :)

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#43 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:49 AM

It won't be SLI (wouldnt that be cool though!), It will just be two GPU's. One dedicated and one integrated for reduced energy consumption. The OpenCl thing sounds cool. Offloading work onto the GPU.
6 more hours. Why does this excite me?

My final bets are: A more rounded design similar to the Macbook Air, problematic magnetic latches will be laid to rest. Slightly faster CPU's, Apple will tote better batteries and battery life, 2 GPU's built into selected models one dedicated one integrated, option of glass frame with matte LCD finish or full glass screen, multitouch trackpad with physical button, Bigger HD's, option for BD, option for SD Hard drives (at like a $1000 premium:lol:) 9600m 256mb vram standard with the option for an even faster card.

The Macbooks will have similar changes and will ditch intel integrated graphics for Nvidia chipsets.

So exciting why? :unsure:

EDIT: looking at the picture closely. I think it is a fake. Look at the top of the Macbook frame. Not exactly parallel to the edge of the led aye?
Posted Image
For further reference

EDIT#2: Now i'm getting obsessive. It could be a fakie or there could be a layer of protective plastic hanging off the screen creating that un-parallel line above?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#44 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:08 AM

As Ive said previously, having a black border to the screen is no bad thing, it outlines the screen much better than a white one and is less visually distracting. it also means that subconsciously you will have the backlight lower, as its not fighting with the white or silver border as much. The only downside to it would be that, when in tandem with IPS screens, the black levels will be a bit more noticeably poor, as the black border will be clearly darker.
But the glass would just destroy that. It throws off colour accuracy, and youll probably be forced to get a calibration tool in order to fix it, and its going to be ridiculously glossy, which is a bad thing for a laptop in particular.

5 hours.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

View Postteflon, on October 14th 2008, 12:49 PM, said:

Apple will just have lost practically every visual professional there is if there isnt a matte option.
You should see the reactions at MacRumors to these pictures...

Another issue I have is the hidden speakers.
They don't appear that hidden: the grille is just finer. In those picture, you can still barely make it out on the right side (the slighter brighter part of the shadow of the display). The earlier pictures of just the casing clearly show a grille at the sides of the keyboard (at least for the 15" model).

View PostAussieMacGamer, on October 14th 2008, 01:49 PM, said:

EDIT: looking at the picture closely. I think it is a fake. Look at the top of the Macbook frame. Not exactly parallel to the edge of the led aye?

EDIT#2: Now i'm getting obsessive. It could be a fakie or there could be a layer of protective plastic hanging off the screen creating that un-parallel line above?
No, that just a really crappy camera: the whole picture is distorted and out of focus on the left-hand side. Either it's some kind of very small spy camera or a pretty old mobile phone with camera. Or an iPhone. Or the guy just had really shaky hands.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#46 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on October 14th 2008, 07:43 AM, said:

when I think of brushed metal, I generally think of high-end (slightly expensive) Apple laptops and towers.

Now why would that be, seeing as how they don't use brushed metal and never have?  ;)  Aside from some windows in OS X that is.

--Eric

#47 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

Ive never understood why people who post shots of hardware secretly dont take the time to give us decent pictures. Only in the last 2 days have a few OKish pictures come out, and those have only been of the outer chassis which have been taken home. In this case, the person should just have had a new camera with image stabilisation or something and picture would be both clearer and more believable/less controversial.

Apparently Gruber has said that its glossy across the board. As soon as the press conference is over Im emailing Apple to say that I will not purchase a machine that has a glossy display. If enough people do that, then they might eventually react.
Its either that or throw down the money and rip off the damned glass crap as soon as I get home, but i dont really want to do that...

#48 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Buff it with a polishing compound to reduce the glare :D

But yeah, if they only have a 'glassy' version, with no matte... I will mail them saying why I will never want one of those machines.

I HATE GLOSSY SCREENS

I always have, and never have in my life bought a monitor or machine that has glossy screens. I hate them! It forces you to work in a pitch black room so nothing reflects back at you. But then the light from the monitor shines on YOU and reflects YOU in the god damned screen!

I also do not like a 'glossy surface'. It makes your hands/fingers/wrists stick. Matte finishes allow easier glide of body parts while using the keyboard. Its like when youre trackpad wears down and becomes 'smooth' (glossy), it is horrible to try and use with your finger anymore.

Anyhow...

GLOSSY:  :nuke: :angry: :blarf:

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#49 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

oh dear. its apparently exactly like that leaked photo.
-A single clickable trackpad... I guess thats ok as its tactile, but could be weird to get used to. Also, could be annoying should the cursor move when youre trying to click. For any form of precision youre going to want to use a mouse, where as now I could quite happily use the trackpad.
-Its made from glass... again, I guess thats ok as its only done for friction purposes, and so that its clickable. Should alleviate the wearing problem FM just mentioned
-DisplayPort. great, smaller connector, bad, now youre going to need loads of adapters for HDMI and DVI...
-machined body. looks nice, should be a fraction lighter, much sturdier, and its anodised, so itll feel exactly like the current ones.
-includes both the 9400M integrated graphics and the 9600m GT. Looks to be a god send for battery life, which is supposedly now 6 hours on integrated, and 4 on dedicated. Read as 5 and 3 respectively.
-user switchable HDDs. Finally make it to the MBPs. And wont void your warranty any more. yay!
-FW400 is gone. the curse of all the ports being on one side. But weve still got FW800, which will adapt (hopefully one will be included for a short time) to it, and most peripherals come as USB2 anyway.
-Still only 2 USB2 ports. This bit sucks... still. I can quite happily use 3 ports fairly often.
-all ports on one side. great! finally makes some sense here as far as Im concerned.
-DDR3 at 1066Mhz. Blistering
-Same CPUs. fine
-glass screen. OADOUSDAGSHDIJPO{KPWJOPHIEBFJKLN !!
-still no Blu-Ray. Apparently its a hassle to license it and it would cost the consumer (why not let us make the f•cking choice!?!?)

on the whole pretty impressive Id say. The CPU isnt anything new, but the RAM and FSB should add a little crunch to this. The main aspect is on the GPU side, where the 9600M GT is really a rebranded 8600M GT at 65nm and clocked slightly higher. Id be more interested in this if it could do proper SLI with the integrated graphics, but as it is, the ability to switch to integrated graphics for improved battery life is a pretty neat touch.

so generally the only thing that would hold me back is the blasted screen. To which Steve says:
"We're going straight glass. A few of our customers prefer matte screens, but a vast majority (capital "V" on Vast) prefer glass because of brighter colors, etc."
Ridiculous. CHOICE IS WHAT WE WANT!!?!?!
Big Phil says:
"You offset the reflection by the brightness, and consumers love it. One of the great things about a notebook is you can turn it however you want!"
One of the great things about having a matte screen which is really bright is not having to turn the screen. So bloody stupid!

On the other side of things, it appears that the MBA and MB are both getting the same switch over to 9400M integrated graphics with, presumably, a slightly better battery life, same machined body on the MBs, and the same stupid glossy screen. Considering that the MB already had the glossy screen, this looks like a pretty nice update for that.

And also a new 24" display with the same stupid glass screen and only a single nice feature, the ability to use it to power your laptop.

#50 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well hooray for ditching Intel integrated. Hopefully the nVidia chipsets aren't as buggy as recent ones - I guess we'll see.  The discrete/integrated combo is something I've been excited about since it was first talked about, so I'm happy to see them take a lead on this one.

2GB RAM standard - good. DDR3 will become the standard with Nehalem, though its expensive at the moment. LED backlights, good, though the MBP already had them. They always included adapters for the displays, so I'm assuming they'll give you DP->DVI in the box. User-accessible HDs should be standard along with RAM on a Pro machine, so I'm glad they woke up to this one.

I still like physical buttons meself, but flexibility is good. Glad to see they didn't do the dock-on-the-trackpad idea, as that didn't make much sense (sorry Davey).

Boo to all glossy screens. This is just super-lame.

Overall a nice update, minus the screens. My girlfriend needs a computer and I was thinking of saving for a MB for Christmas for her. Now that they're a little less crippled, it seems a more tempting idea. Just not sure about those glossy screens...
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#51 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Not only has everything gone glossy (ACDs included), but I think these designs aren't even aesthetically pleasing, which is very unlike-Apple.  Jonathan Ive takes the kudos when he gets it right, but these look awful & I'm having serious doubts about where this guy's taking Mac computers.  If he's only delivering what Steve Jobs wants, then I have my serious doubts about Jobs too.

#52 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

I like 'em. The best laptop I owned was my Powerbook G4 12" one. The new 13" MB(p) seem a perfect fit for me. Love the screen (I've never had any problem with brightness and seeing it even outdoors), glass trackpad (I must be an "idiot" ;) ), and as long ad people think that Diablo III will run passably on that new nVidia chip then I'm buying. Today.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#53 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

everybody should send Apple some feedback (or here for the MBs) saying they dont like the glossy screens and that they will not purchase a new Macbook (Pro) until this happens. Only a lot of talk will be able to get Apple to back down and give us a CHOICE!

As for the aesthetics, thats down to the black bezel alone really. It works fairly well on the iMac, I guess, but on the notebooks, in tandem with it being glossy, it does look a little weird. But then again, I think hes trying to push aesthetics forwards.

#54 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

I actually like the black border. Looks much better than on the iMacs. I definitely like the sound of a faster graphics chipset for MacBooks. That's what I was really waiting for. It'll be interesting to see what the actual performance tests will show.

So, this new MacBook might very well become the replacement for my aging Powerbook. Since I'm not particularly interested in Mac-gaming (or Windows gaming, for that matter) anymore other than a few casual and indie titles, the continuing lack of a dedicated gpu won't faze me.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#55 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Weird. The Apple store was up with the new notebooks, now it's down again.

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 14th 2008, 02:29 PM, said:

glass trackpad (I must be an "idiot" ;) ), and as long ad people think that Diablo III will run passably on that new nVidia chip then I'm buying. Today.

Naw, we just think the display/trackpad combo is silly. Or at least, it's silly for anyone who doesn't hunt and peck on the keyboard. Or wants the click function without accidentally launching dock items.

My almost totally unfounded guess is that they should handle Diablo III alright, if only because Blizzard usually makes their games accessible to weaker hardware, and the new chips, while not powerhouses, are much less anemic than the Intel chips.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#56 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

Nice to see the MacBooks and MBAs now get relatively good graphic processors. It's still onboard and has shared memory, but still better than that Intel Crap™.

But still: only glossy screens?

YEH DUMB BOLLICKS!!

Oh right: I don't know if someone else has noticed that yet, but there's no MiniDisplay to DVI adapter included. You have to pay for it – right from the beginning.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#57 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

View Postteflon, on October 14th 2008, 07:32 PM, said:

everybody should send Apple some feedback (or here for the MBs) saying they dont like the glossy screens and that they will not purchase a new Macbook (Pro) until this happens.

Just done it. FWIW, just to make myself feel better as much as anything else.  I honestly don't think it'll make a scrap of difference!  Frankly, Apple today seem far more interested in making as much money as possible rather than offering their customers even reasonable choice.  Thus, my future laptop-buying decisions will now focus only on 2nd hand Macs &, regrettably, new laptops from other brands.  :(

#58 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

View PostFrigidman, on October 15th 2008, 03:19 AM, said:

I HATE GLOSSY SCREENS
GLOSSY:  :nuke: :angry: :blarf:

View Postteflon, on October 15th 2008, 04:37 AM, said:

…-glass screen. OADOUSDAGSHDIJPO{KPWJOPHIEBFJKLN !!…

View Postnobody, on October 15th 2008, 05:06 AM, said:

Boo to all glossy screens. This is just super-lame.

Just not sure about those glossy screens...

View Postjackdawsson, on October 15th 2008, 05:20 AM, said:

Not only has everything gone glossy (ACDs included), but I think these designs aren't even aesthetically pleasing, which is very unlike-Apple.

View Postteflon, on October 15th 2008, 05:32 AM, said:

everybody should send Apple some feedback (or here for the MBs) saying they dont like the glossy screens and that they will not purchase a new Macbook (Pro) until this happens. Only a lot of talk will be able to get Apple to back down and give us a CHOICE!

As for the aesthetics, thats down to the black bezel alone really. It works fairly well on the iMac, I guess, but on the notebooks, in tandem with it being glossy, it does look a little weird. But then again, I think hes trying to push aesthetics forwards.

View Postjackdawsson, on October 15th 2008, 07:30 AM, said:

Just done it. FWIW, just to make myself feel better as much as anything else.  I honestly don't think it'll make a scrap of difference!  Frankly, Apple today seem far more interested in making as much money as possible rather than offering their customers even reasonable choice.  Thus, my future laptop-buying decisions will now focus only on 2nd hand Macs &, regrettably, new laptops from other brands.  :(
I completely agree with the following posts in my reply. I shall also do anything to help in this dire situation.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#59 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

In fact, seeing as the only way that Apple will take notice is if theyre completely flooded with feedback saying that they wont even consider buying a computer that has a glossy screen, take your computer around, go to hotspots, create new email addresses, get the rest of your family to do it.
Do every single conceivable thing you can to inundate Apple with 'feedback' (more like spam really) about how you hate the glossy screen.

Also, is it just me, or do you think that Apple stacked glossy against matte by including the MBs in with the MBPs and getting the figures like that?

OH, heres another thing you can do. Go into your local apple store, look around for a little bit, then vomit all over the nearest MBP (make sure its an MBP, cos they cost more). Ill pay you $5.

#60 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Let's hope people keep that feedback (& puking when possible) going at a steady rate, though realistically to little avail.  Re Apple's "figures": I strongly believe something like that.  Besides, SJ recently said that Apple do "no market research" whatsoever &, with the kind of arrogance Apple exudes these days, I really believe that.  FWIW, all the polls I've seen re matte v glossy are split almost 50/50, with quite a few in favour of matte.  So regardless of what Apple say on this, I call BS here. - Quite agree about the graphics updates (ie. with your post elsewhere), but AFAIC that's the only good thing that's come out of today.