Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:15 PM

View PostJanichsan, on September 27th 2008, 04:30 AM, said:

The first Intel MacOS X version released in the wild was 10.4.1 – it came with the developer kit. 10.4.4 was only the first Intel version for the broader public.
If you're going to count non-public builds, OS X has been running on x86 since long before Tiger.

#22 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

oh alright, so the intel switch and Front Row were bad examples. But its safe to say that Apple arent going to hold off on hardware for a point release.
A point release will happen if theres fixes or features which need to be made to the OS for everyone.
If its new hardware with a new twist, such as a new CPU model, GPU, backlit keyboard, FW800 support etc. etc. then they will give it a unique build upon release, and then merge those into the next full delta and combo updates (when using SW update though, itll only download whats necessary for your machine).

So if Apple were to introduce a touch screen at the bottom of the new MBPs, then they would go about this in the same way. After all, what would be the point of synchronising a point release at the same time when it will primarily be giving new features to new machines?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:52 AM

A couple of new alleged pictures of the new MacBook casing have turned up. Those seem to confirm two things: 1. The MacBook Pros get keyboard similar to the exiting MacBooks or MacBook Air. 2. There's either a 13" MacBook Pro coming up or the MacBooks also get an aluminium case. The matter of the glass trackpad is – based on these pictures – still open for speculation (the trackpad is larger on the 13" model, but the indentation doesn't look deep enough for a trackpad with a additional screen), as is the matter of the black rim on the display.

But the main question right now is: will the new MacBooks/MBPs come next week or won't they? A special event for their introduction seems very unlikely now.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:00 AM

well, if its machined from a block, they wouldnt have integrated the trackpad yet (just like they havent integrated the keyboard). Theres just the hole there waiting for the trackpad to be put in during assembly.
Im still 100% certain that a second display is not on the cards yet. It makes no sense in terms of a user interface. the dock itself makes a modicum of sense, its just not the best implementation.

The main question: yes, theyll come next week Im fairly sure. The rumour sites have been getting more and more accurate over the last few years, even if they still spout a lot of gibberish most of the time.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:48 AM

View Postteflon, on October 9th 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

well, if its machined from a block, they wouldnt have integrated the trackpad yet (just like they havent integrated the keyboard). Theres just the hole there waiting for the trackpad to be put in during assembly.
Sure, but that's indepedent from the case being carved from a block or not: the trackpad is also a seperate part in the contemporary MacBooks.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

I'm still guessing we'll see the whole line called "MacBook" now as well to eliminate the differentiation.

Two 13" models (the current MB) in aluminum enclosures similar to the current MBPs ... that is, not tapered; and the MBP line has more of an "air-like" tapering design but so too extreme with two 15" models (the current MBP line) and a 17" model. I also think the air gets a bit of a spec change (just a quiet update on the site), or we see a cheap subnote (brick) instead of the air spec change.

That's the six new "Mac" [sic] models that the Future Shop inventory system is showing.

I agree it'll most likely be next week.

PS. The glass trackpad that I'm personally in favour of I think would be about a 60-40 chance now.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:32 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 9th 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

... and the MBP line has more of an "air-like" tapering design ...
Not according to these pictures, that are clearly non-tapered and definitely show a casing for a 15" model.

That's the six new "Mac" [sic]models that the Future Shop inventory system is showing.
Well, since these six placeholders where simply entered as precaution without any substantial backing that's no good foundation for speculation. While six models are not unlikely (three 13" MacBooks with different specs, two 15", one 17" – just like the current line-up), but not necessarily granted. Especially since other rumours point to even 12 different models.

#28 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

View PostJanichsan, on October 9th 2008, 11:48 AM, said:

Sure, but that's indepedent from the case being carved from a block or not: the trackpad is also a seperate part in the contemporary MacBooks.
yeah, they could just slap a touch screen into the current model. I didnt articulate my point very well.

Im also very sceptical of the idea that theyll just call everything MacBook. For the simple reason that they already do, theres macbook, macbook pro, and macbook air. Thats the different models of the macbook. I dont see the need to generalise things further, as then well have to start going into specs in order to just say what machine weve got. Right now I can just say "Macbook Pro" and everyone knows what I mean. Why change a branding which is so successful?

Also, getting rid of the 'pro' or 'air' would destroy the 4 part scale that Apple completed with the original iBook:

Consumer desktop   |   Pro Desktop
------------------------||-------------------
Consumer Laptop    ||  Pro Laptop

if you get rid of the notion of Pro then thats destroyed.

And finally, how does the naming apply to the Air? does that keep its attachment? or are we going to have to go further into specs in order to explain what machine we have? Macbook 13" would apply to both the conventional and the air...

On the subject of the glass touch screen/pad, have you figured out how theyll address all of the issues with context I pointed out previously? Because the way I see it, its still going to be way too complex for a new user to grasp easily...

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

It's October 14. That's official now.

#30 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

That's also, if the measurements of the Apple logo remain the same, the back of a 13" metal-clad notebook, based on it's proportions.

And while it's silly re: the whole tablet thing again, I'll just point out what the person who, one year ago in August, tipped us all off a full week ahead of time said about ... "Apple to debut wireless iTunes Store sales direct to iPod, iPhone next Wednesday." He said ... "Apple will debut "wireless-capable iPods" next Wednesday along with "wireless iTunes Store sales," enabling users to buy content "directly from iPod, iPhone ... The "new iPods will definitely be Mac OS X-based ... Prepare to be stunned [with] iPod's new capabilities."

This is what s/he has to say today about a MacBook touch ...

"Think MacBook screen, possibly a bit smaller, in glass with iPhone-like, but fuller-featured Multi-Touch. Gesture library. Full Mac OS X. This is why they bought P.A. Semi. Possibly with Immersion's haptic tech. Slot-loading SuperDrive. Accelerometer. GPS. Pretty expensive to produce initially, but sold at "low" price that will reduce margins. Apple wants to move these babies. And move they will. This is some sick s***. App Store-compatible, able to run Mac apps, too. By October at the latest."

I know some won't buy it (literally or figuratively :) ), but I sure would.

PS. Now that the new Blackberry Bold has tactile response to touches on a flat glass screen that actually make your fingers feel like your touching something, can we put that fault of a tablet to bed? Please? Pretty please?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#31 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

I just want a MBP with a very large (keyboard sized) multi-touch surface. I think it would be amazing for game playing. Imagine instead of just reassigning keys, completely changing the keyboard layout/configuration? With a touch on the multi-touch surface you could drag your WASD keys where ever you wanted on the surface and assign them there. You could eliminate keys that aren't used by a game and resize the keys that are used. You could even rename the keys. Kinda like an Optimus Maximus keyboard on steriods. Then you'd also have the whole touch screen gameplay angle ala a Nintendo DS.
Custom defined keyboard layouts for each game and each app... that would be nifty. Downside, other than price, would be the lack of tactile response. But still, I think it would be pretty cool.
Not gonna happen with this refresh.

#32 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 9th 2008, 09:00 PM, said:

PS. Now that the new Blackberry Bold has tactile response to touches on a flat glass screen that actually make your fingers feel like your touching something, can we put that fault of a tablet to bed? Please? Pretty please?

um.... no :P
oh alright, well put that one to rest then.
Now, onto flexibility, poor posture when using, small size or big weight (unless were thinking 'air' sizes), 'write anywhere' technology combined with its context sensitivity... etc. etc.  :cool:

In fact, a tablet can be good, its just that it has to be perfect. Light, compact, easy to use both on the go and at a desk, fast, and have all of the plugs to let me use it as a normal computer. If any company can do it, itll be Apple.

except that they can screw it up  just as well...

#33 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 9th 2008, 04:00 PM, said:

Depends on whether you like to type while looking at the keyboard or not.  If you like to type while looking at a white board, or elsewhere, then no, tablets will still suck.  You'll have no idea whether you are getting the right keys, and you will have to look at the tablet to make sure you're getting the right ones.  If you always look at the keyboard and hunt and peck, then sure, put it to rest, a tablet will be fine for typing.

#34 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

View PostRev-O, on October 10th 2008, 12:53 AM, said:

I just want a MBP with a very large (keyboard sized) multi-touch surface. I think it would be amazing for game playing. Imagine instead of just reassigning keys, completely changing the keyboard layout/configuration? With a touch on the multi-touch surface you could drag your WASD keys where ever you wanted on the surface and assign them there. You could eliminate keys that aren't used by a game and resize the keys that are used. You could even rename the keys. Kinda like an Optimus Maximus keyboard on steriods. Then you'd also have the whole touch screen gameplay angle ala a Nintendo DS.
Custom defined keyboard layouts for each game and each app... that would be nifty. Downside, other than price, would be the lack of tactile response. But still, I think it would be pretty cool.
Not gonna happen with this refresh.
That's actually the same thing I would expect some time in the future. However, there's still a long way to go until tactile feedback on the touchscreen that allows you to feel the keys/buttons/whatever before you press them (which is a must for a device that aspires to be more than a toy) is feasible. There are such technologies in development (basically consisting of flexible displays and some mechanism), but those are not yet ready for the market.

#35 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

The very latest rumour is that NV's new laptop chipset is to be announced on the 15th. The day after the press conference from Apple. Which almost equates to NV holding off on the announcement, so that Apple can get there first. If this is part of some big new partnership to build semi-customised boards for Apple, this makes sense.

Also, that the MBs finally get some distinct graphics chips, and we can finally open up the market again for porting houses to port pretty much whatever they can. CoD4 should run as well on a 9300M or 9400M as it does on the X1600.

#36 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Mactracker will put the expiration date of your Mac's warranty into iCal if you provide that information. My Powerbook's AppleCare warranty expires next thursday.  Is this laptop event a coincidence? I think Apple is targeting me. =]

#37 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

Aw hell, I really hope the new MBP doesn't look like this:

Posted Image
(Source)

That's no professional notebook, that's a frigging vanity mirror!

Edit: Also note the complete lack of a trackpad button. Are Apple laptops now supposed to have not only one button less than other notebooks but two? I'm not sure I would be happy about something like this. I cannot stand this tapping for clicking and like the separate, real button.

#38 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:18 AM

Haahahahahahahaha i was just about to complain over that, only to see your way ahead of me. Why would they do away with the Mattebook option? I've never seen anyone with a glossy Macbook Pro. Its just dumb to have a glass portable! I can only ever see my ipod touch in really explicit shadows so what do they think is going to happen with this Glass portable?
Not sure how the glass multitouch trackpad is going to work either. Also i think theyre going to take FW400 out of the Macbook. Bad idea.

Guess we will find out in 9 hours eh?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#39 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:07 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on October 14th 2008, 10:18 AM, said:

Not sure how the glass multitouch trackpad is going to work either.
I still doubt that. Where the heck do all these people see a glass trackpad in these pictures? Apart from the missing button, it looks as always.

#40 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:24 AM

You know, those pesky fire truckers at Endgadget could easily have dodged the line between the trackpad and the clicker together? Not worth speculating eh? Less that 7 hours to go.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1