161 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hurry before Apple gets them removed ... bottom two ..

http://www.it-shop.t...rubricid=213306

I imagine a phone call from Steve to t-Mobiles chairman any second now ... "Ya, ya, ve have already sacked the vebmaster, Herr Jobs"

EDIT -- Actually, a 2.6GHz with 512MB one is also now showing up for three new models.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

they're gone now, did you happen to catch what video card they had?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

It looks like the slip was just the image - the stats are all the same as far as I can see. Unless of course they're just slapping the same parts into a new case, but that seems unlikely.

Posted Image
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

yup, it was a prank/screw up/the picture was from the future, but the specs are still current.
basically, nothing to see here. The specs definitely arent from the new machine, being, as they are, exactly the same as the current set, and the picture looks faked to me.

Also, I highly doubt/really really hope that Apple will go completely glossy for the MBPs.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

View Postteflon, on September 17th 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

yup, it was a prank/screw up/the picture was from the future, but the specs are still current.
basically, nothing to see here. The specs definitely arent from the new machine, being, as they are, exactly the same as the current set, and the picture looks faked to me.

Also, I highly doubt/really really hope that Apple will go completely glossy for the MBPs.

While the stats did seem to be the same from a rather detailed German-speaking poster on another forum, those images were not, I'm fairly certain of it. I'd guess that it's difficult to hack into the large German phone company's website servers and specifically target Apple laptop images for a hacking and replacement. I'd bet it's more probable that someone in their web content department pushed the wrong button and sent stuff live that's not supposed to be live for a week or two. Far more likely a scenario. We'll know October 14.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

yeah, I guess thats true.

in which case, were doomed to glossy screened MBPs as standard from now on then *sigh*.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#7 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

I second that, I can't work on a glossy screen.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#8 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Me too. We have the glossy* screens at school. I find it so annoying, a) people are always putting their fingers on the screen, so it smudges and leaves a mark and b)  when it is light enough in the room, everything else in the room and outside it is reflected off the screen and it makes it harder to see.

*I am most likely wrong with calling it a glossy screen, because we work with the new iMacs that have more of a glass screen than plastic.

Liberator HD 1.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

When are they friggen coming they've been rumoured for months now!!!!! I'm want the new macbooks to come out so I can buy one

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

The latest rumour says mid October.

By the way, that picture of a new MBP on the T-Systems site was a blunder: it's a photoshopped mock-up how someone at the Mac Rumors forum imagines the next generation MBPs. Some idiot at T-Systems took the picture from a Google picture search – and smartly picked a fake one.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

I am thinking about a new iMac (and passing down my current one to my little sister). From what I read, I expect a huge difference between my current Radeon x1600 and an Nvidia 8800 GS. I thought I remembered reading about an iMac refresh coming, too -- any word if such a thing might sneak along, or is this a laptop-only party?
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

MacRumor's buyer's guide is always a help in such cases. But even without that it's pretty sure that new iMacs are not due. The next product line update will be all about the MacBooks.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:02 AM

Glass track pad with Dock, anyone? For your five-ten most used apps?

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#14 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

useless and impractical. Completely unintuitive. Does the mouse cursor move down to the glass trackpad? that makes no sense. My post is incredibly disjointed. Why would you want a dock on the trackpad anyway? my post is representative of this idea.

badly thought out by some stupid fan boy and crap.

#15 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

View Postteflon, on September 26th 2008, 07:13 AM, said:

useless and impractical. Completely unintuitive. Does the mouse cursor move down to the glass trackpad? that makes no sense. My post is incredibly disjointed. Why would you want a dock on the trackpad anyway? my post is representative of this idea.

badly thought out by some stupid fan boy and crap.

Where to begin? Hmm, what about a iPod touch? "useless and impractical. Completely unintuitive." Wrong. I'll go one by one.

"useless and impractical. Completely unintuitive." No it's not. The touch shows you just how "impractical" that method of input is (i.e., using a nice single icon to open an app with a touch). And see below for my comparison of the touch size versus the MacBook's trackpad size (surprise, they're the same).

"Does the mouse cursor move down to the glass trackpad?" No, I didn't say it was a screen like the main screen, it's exactly like a current trackpad on all of Apple's laptops EXCEPT that it can show visual icons in a dock-like setting so that you don't even have to look up to your screen or target a mouse to tap and open and app. Exactly like you do on your iPhone or touch. And arrange-able, just like the icons on the screens of your touch/iPhone. You put the five or six apps (or whatever) you always fire up (Safari, Mail, Photoshop etc) on that thing and it's a far faster way of opening an app than any other method. Far faster. One tap, Photoshop's open. No mouse movement, no keyboard, not even looking up at the screen.

How do you get apps down there? A simple prefs dialogue like Spaces would do that allows you to assign apps to various screens. Maybe drag them down? Many ways.

"Why would you want a dock on the trackpad anyway?" To have quick shortcuts to a user's most used apps. To be able to hide the space-wasting, UI-incorrect (screen) dock that changes as it's used, in most instances. To give the screen back to display not figuring out why the dock keeps changing size. But more important to Apple ... to sell cool new toys. It's a "revolutionary" way of interacting with your computer they'll claim. Apple is about creating desire for a product you don't need ... and the touch and the iPhone show the way.

And the dock isn't the only feature of that display. It uses the exact same multi-touch technology as in the touch/iPhone. Adobe's CS4, especially Photoshop, is known to support many (all?) of Apple's multi-touch gestures according to the release notes. Pinch, zoom, swipe etc etc. The natural input "device" for those sorts of interactions is a trackpad that is exactly the same as the touch.

I wouldn't even put it past them to allow users preferences to put their own things down there if they wanted ... small iTunes or FrontRow controls, etc.

Further ... and we're obviously going to disagree on most of my points that same way people claim to "need" tactile feedback to type ... if you look at the size of a touch compared to the trackpad area (minus big click button) of a MacBook, they're identical. Apple buys in bulk so to keep costs/manufacturing prices down and so the touchscreen" trackpad is the exact same screen as the touch/iPhone. That's not evidence of course, just simple economics. (Note, I'm excluding the big clickable button for the trackpad because with a touch screen, there is no need. And the sizes may not be millimetre exact but it's too close to quibble ... or maybe not. I'm sure ... but I suspect you'll let me know. :) )

Future Shop's inventory system here in Canada is already showing six brand new "Mac" [sic] products/SKU placeholders in their system. By my count that's ...

Two MacBooks redesigned in silver, curved edges like the air.
Two MacBook pros redesigned with curved edges like the air.
The air.
And the "brick" which I feel will be Apple's entry into the sub $800 laptop market (perhaps even the current MacBook form) and would explain the CFOs forecast.

I agree that the image shown itself may well have been Photoshopped, but well-meaning folks who continue to deny that touch-screen input isn't coming in a big way are going to have to adjust at one point. I really believe this.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#16 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 26th 2008, 11:17 AM, said:

same way people claim to "need" tactile feedback to type

Well, you do need it...it's really not a matter of opinion, it's just reality.  Without tactile feedback, you have to look at the keyboard when typing.  If you're OK with that, then sure you don't "need" it, but in a lot of cases, people prefer to be able to touch type and not look at the keyboard.  (The little bumps on the "F" and "J" keys--on standard QWERTY keyboards--aren't manufacturing defects; they're there for a reason.)

--Eric

#17 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

How do you differentiate between using the trackpad for mousing, and launching applications? I don't want to launch photoshop just because I tapped the trackpad to select an icon or something.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 26th 2008, 05:17 PM, said:

Future Shop's inventory system here in Canada is already showing six brand new "Mac" [sic] products/SKU placeholders in their system.
That has been clarified as having been just a preparation by Future Shop for Macs that were rumoured to be released at Apple's event in September without any substantial background. They simply thought, new MacBooks and MBPs are said to be released, there have always been three models per product line, just let's reserve six slots in our store system, just in case.

View Postnobody, on September 26th 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

How do you differentiate between using the trackpad for mousing, and launching applications? I don't want to launch photoshop just because I tapped the trackpad to select an icon or something.
That's the question.

Like DaveyJJ, I think a MacBook with an additional touchscreen in lieu of the traditional trackpad will come some day, but it will be pretty different. Probably much larger than the usual trackpad with reserved space for the traditional trackpad function.

However: keep in mind that a touchscreen equipped MacBook would require a pretty big update of MacOS X. I don't see this coming with a minor patch like 10.5.6.

#19 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

My points are 100% valid. The iPhone is a totally different platform with completely different inputs and a different UI. For one thing, the touch area on the iPhone is the display.

in this instance, the trackpad now has a dual purpose, moving the cursor around on the screen (oh and the screen wont be a touch screen anyway) and also launching/switching apps. But from this image, its not clearly divided, its still rather small (so large numbers of apps are impractical), and how will it know which context youre using it in?
simple, without a toggle or hold to activate key (or even more fingers on the trackpad) it wont. But then that completely destroys your one click launch theory.

oh, and Im pretty sure that almost 99% of computer users actually look at the screen more than they look at the keyboard. They know where the mouse or trackpad is through peripheral vision, and even if they dont know how to touch type, they know instinctively where to put their hand. So "not even looking up at the screen." doesnt make sense because they're actually looking away from the screen to launch their app in the first place.

and then, what happens when you're using a mouse? a laptop is more likely to be used as a semi-desktop replacement than as a simple laptop, so youre gonna be plugging in a mouse 95% of the time. At which point, the cursor has to warp from the screen to the trackpad in order to launch. Or, in fact, you have to move your hand from the mouse (almost everyone will use their stronger hand subconciously) to the trackpad, then activate the dock with a key press and then launch the programmer. Then move your hand back to the mouse.
Where would that make sense?

Not to mention that having a secondary screen so far away from the main screen is not sensible in the slightest. I move my eyes about 30º maybe to look at my trackpad. Thats a lot of eye movement in the vertical, considering that vision is distinctly horizontal and screens these days are generally horizontally elongated because of this. This is also why, when using dual screens, they go next to each other before going on top of each other, turning you head from side to side is more natural because it uses more of your peripheral. equally, on a swivel chair you spin from side to side.

also, without a button, how do you left click? how do you right click? how thick is it in terms of taking up very important space from the battery which is directly below it in the current gen of MBP? with the battery reduced, and a second screen running, what, then, happens to the duration of battery power? how do you control the brightness of the touch screen? are they controlled separately so that you can turn one off when it becomes increasingly distracting from the primary screen in darker conditions? (keyboard backlighting can already be quite distracting in certain conditions)

So, simply put, even though the Dock has a lot of things wrong with it (although you can shrink it a lot, hide it and just use it as an app switcher if you really want), like Apple's tendency to lump every new finder feature (expose, dashboard, stacks, etc. etc.) into this megalith of a programme, putting it into a glass trackpad as shown in that picture is one of the worst ideas I have seen since penalising Lewis Hamilton for abiding by the rules.

There are much better ways of improving the computing experience on Apple's laptops.

EDIT: Like Janich, I dont doubt that a touch screen will eventually make its way to Apple's laptops' touch pads. Heck, theyve had the patents for it and the accidental touch deducing for ages. I simply dont see it happening yet. Simply, having two screens so far apart with no reference to one another, whilst on has to double the functionality of a touchpad in order to control a cursor on the other is too confusing and complicated. The only way is to make everything touch sensitive, at which point you have to weigh in mouse control and physical tiredness at having to move your arms a lot more.
Now is not the time for this technology in a laptop which doesnt double as a tablet. Its too big a change of interface too quickly.

oh, and Janich, you forget that the intel switch happened in 10.4.4, and Front Row with IR support was added to 10.4.2 separately of a point release even. Apple arent scared of running a tangential OS point release build to add unique features for a particular new system before combining it into the main delta and combo update for the next point release. Its entirely possible that the new machines will ship with a different build of 10.5.5 which then gets folded into the main build of 10.5.6 whenever that shows up.

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

View Postteflon, on September 26th 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

EDIT: Like Janich, I dont doubt that a touch screen will eventually make its way to Apple's laptops' touch pads. Heck, theyve had the patents for it and the accidental touch deducing for ages. I simply dont see it happening yet.
Basically, we agree here: it will happen, but just not yet and not like this.

oh, and Janich, you forget that the intel switch happened in 10.4.4, and Front Row with IR support was added to 10.4.2 separately of a point release even.
Okay, true, however I think that's not completely comparable: the original FrontRow was a rather sloppily slapped on additional program. For instance, it simply launched the appropiate programs in the background to do most things, like iTunes for music playback or iPhoto for slide shows.

The Intel switch compares even less. The first Intel MacOS X version released in the wild was 10.4.1 – it came with the developer kit. 10.4.4 was only the first Intel version for the broader public.