PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

View Postzombiejesus, on October 1st 2008, 03:43 PM, said:

my question is (and i guess i haven't poked around enough to find this info) am i going to be able to play this on my mac, using bootcamp/parallels/crossover/whatever? or do i need to seriously consider a real winbox to play this?

Bethesda have said they're not porting it to any other platform themselves, but are open to proposals. So I guess "maybe", but don't hold your breath.

As for the game itself, I'm no purist, and though I played and enjoyed the first two, I'm more concerned about whether this is a decent game in its own right than whether it carries the Fallout torch well. It looks to be a fun enough play, so I'll be picking it up. I enjoyed Oblivion despite its many flaws.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#22 zombiejesus

zombiejesus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

yeah, i saw that they aren't porting it themselves, and i don't really have any hope for some friendly mac gaming company to port it (not anytime soon, anyways).

i'd resigned myself to try it with bootcamp/xp, but i still don't find any real pc requirements at the official site. i seem to have read some months ago that they were going to try for lowered expectations, so that older (i.e. a year older) machines would have a chance at playing it.

and, i agree with you, nobody, decent gaming is more important to me than the actual Fallout-ness of it. but i think it's going to be exceptionally, satisfyingly Fallout-y.

wasted an hour reading forums about it elsewhere where people were all up in arms about the cars exploding.

#23 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

View PostTetsuya, on September 27th 2008, 09:31 AM, said:

the problem with that theory is that if you make it so that players can "do something", then players who werent there when the game launched miss content and dont get to experience the game, because someone else already did.  Too bad for you, huh?

It just doesnt work.

You missed a hell of a lot of content in real life, too bad you'll never get to experience anything.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#24 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

It sounds like it is all over.
Quotes from a Swedish review.

I`m going to take the edge of this review right away. Fallout 3 IS “Oblivion with guns”, No matter what i said earlier. There, I said it, now theres no return.
Well fire truck.

Bethesda has tried to fit as much content as possible on a little area. One second im running into a pack of Radscorpions while 30 meters further ahead theres a little settler town. Around the corner i meet some slavers with their captured slaves and beyond the hill some raiders have set up camp. A few minutes of running brings me to some ruins swarming with lethal deathclaws that wants to eat me. Its compressed, maximized and anonymous all at once. It feels like a huge orgy where no ones want to actually “do it”. A lot of bumping and grinding but no friction and no excitement. Many parts but they don’t paint a whole picture.
So much for a desolate wasteland...

Glad I didn't get my hopes up too high.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#25 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

That's too bad, though it's what I'd been expecting. The thing I found so strange about this whole affair is the virtual contempt they showed for the original two games; every change was justified by "well that sucked and was just in there because of technical constraints". If they wanted to make Oblivion-with-guns they could've just made an original IP instead of paying for Fallout, it's not like they needed or even wanted Fallout's base.

Edit: 200th post! Hurrah for small accomplishments!

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

The belief that turn-based gameplay is merely an artefact of technical constraints boggles my mind.

#27 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

View PostTesseract, on October 8th 2008, 06:48 PM, said:

The belief that turn-based gameplay is merely an artefact of technical constraints boggles my mind.

Why I just picked up King's Bounty, which features not only relatively modern and shiny graphics, but also a totally advanced turn-based gameplay system...

Though I do seem to remember that that particular defense may have been in response to the whining about it not being isometric view only. Maybe they just slathered it on all the design changes - I could be wrong.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#28 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on October 8th 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

Well fire truck.

So much for a desolate wasteland...
Stalker did pretty well, with some mods to tone down the bandits respawning a bit too fast. Bethesda should DIAF and leave it to the Ukrainians.

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:55 AM

It really seems to fail as a sequel, but then again it doesn't seem to be a bad game (as long as you consider Oblivion not to be a bad game). From the same review:

“… But first and foremost, the game doesn’t let go of you, despite flaws. the story always makes you want to take a few steps more, and after every disappointment there will be a moment of awe. The details, the at times stunning landscape and the possibility to change the main characters look in all eternity.”

“Its hard to let go of my baggage as an old Fallout player, but when i sit down with the third part of the game i really try to stop comparing the games, and at once it feels much better.”

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Wow... sounds like this is gonna be a rental for me. As cool as Oblivion seemed, and as BEAUTIFUL as it looked, the completely wooden characters, stupid animations, garbage combat system, and monotonous gameplay drove me up the wall and I couldn't play it anymore.

I'm notoriously hard to please with RPGs (and by that I mean true RPGs, not sorta-RPGs like Bioshock or Diablo)... only ones I've played through to completion without getting bored are Fallout 1 & 2, KOTOR 1, the Neverwinter Nights campaign, and Mass Effect. And those are all Black Isle and BioWare, not Bethesda.

If Fallout 3 is "Oblivion with Guns" then I won't be buying it except maybe on eBay for cheap.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#31 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

Bethesda: We'd like you to try the new version of Fallout.  It's called Fallout: Mojave.

Not Professional Actor: Hey, it looks pretty cool!

Bethesda: Surprise!  Fallout: Mojave is really Fallout 3!

#32 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

View PostTetsuya, on September 27th 2008, 07:31 AM, said:

the problem with that theory is that if you make it so that players can "do something", then players who werent there when the game launched miss content and dont get to experience the game, because someone else already did.  Too bad for you, huh?

It just doesnt work.

My core problem with MMOs. Without  dynamic, persistent world the MMO just becomes a sisyphean grind. Horrible. OTOH, if the MMO was a dynamic, persistent world, I don't have the free time to consistently play the game and so would inevitably grow frustrated and bored because I'd miss out on the majority of the content. So I find grind games like WoW idiotic, but don't have the free time to commit to a non-idiotic MMO.  :glare: Pretty much sums up why I don't play MMOs. C'est la vie!

Fallout 3. Not sure what to think. After relentlessly plowing through Morrowind I find that I've been unable to play Oblivion because it feels like MOTS with BNG. Kinda think Fallout 3 is going to be the same thing, just with guns and Deathclaws. Probably worth playing, but not going to be a satisfying RPG experience.

[edit: Sorry, started mixing initialisms. BNG is motorcycle speak for Bold New Graphics. When a manufacturer makes no mechanical changes for a model year and just throws on a fancy paint job, it's a BNG model ;) ]

#33 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

Here's a great little Fallout article:

http://www.brainygam.../fallout-3.html

The best one I've read so far.

#34 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

How horrible are the anims? (also, I dont remember them to bother me so much) Is Fallout 3 still (like other fallouts) about establishing nothing, and eternally wandering, or are there more things like in oblivion that I liked, that you can become leader of, or own, or whatever?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#35 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

The things that made me love the Fallout 1 & 2 games:

• Turn based combat which allowed me to plot my tactics and do great killing with little ammo loss.
• The 'setting'. The style of graphics and sounds and how it all looked visually.
• The secrets that revealed themselves through gameplay. Not everything was explained to you in a tutorial.
• Really great death scenes and fun graphics (for being sprite, it was awesome).

Things I didn't care about, or hold the game against:

• Story... was there a story? Naw, it was a typical scifi plot, kill the bad guys.
• Lack of multi-play. It was a solo game, not a MP.

As for Fallout 3... not 'looking' or 'feeling' like the originals means its not Fallout to me. It will just be some new game that comes out to play. I'll judge it by itself, as a stand alone game, because thats what it looks like.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#36 apsinnott

apsinnott

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

I think omnigroup should return to Mac game ports with Fallout 3. They don't even list the games they worked on previously anymore: www.omnigroup.com/games

#37 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

So guys, who has tried it? What is the verdict?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#38 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well the game received some hawt reviews.....though I am sure most people already know that...I have only played the ps3 version for a few....but it was definitely fun
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#39 t3h_n00b

t3h_n00b

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

Note - I have never so much as watched someone play the original Fallout games, so my opinion is completely unbiased in that regard - please save the snide comments for Betheseda hate forums.  In addition, I've logged all of perhaps eight or so hours playing the game (Not much time left to devote to hardcore gaming these days...), and thus can give my first impressions only.  I'm also playing this on the PS3, though the game is essentially the same, excepts for a graphical downgrade in comparison to its PC and XBOX 360 counterparts.

Right from the start I can see why people have referred to this game as "Oblivion with Guns" - it uses the same engine, some of the same basic mechanics, and retains the same awkward animations.  However, don't let this confuse you into thinking that you can go in guns blazing like most FPS games.  The engine does not seem to be tailored for such firefights, and you'll generally find yourself resorting to use of the VATS option as much as possible rather than relying on the very weak excuse for real time combat.  VATS itself is really nothing more than a pseudo turnbased system that freezes the action and allows you to queue up a series of attacks aimed at specific bodyparts.  The number of possible attacks are limited by your action points (AP), while the chance of hitting and damaged done is based on skills and the weapon used.  I'm sure you've all seen the resulting cinematic orgies of blood of gore, so I will not bother to describe them - though I will mention that the action can be fast forwarded if, for some inexplicable reason, you become bored of watching blood and gore spatter itself in slow-mo across your screen after your umpteenth raider bites the dust.  The system does allow for rather detailed strategizing, as each limb as a certain amount of specific health, not entirely related to your target's main health - so it's possible to cause "critical damage" to an arm or leg, and partially immobilize your victim - but more often than not I've found that my enemies tend to die by the time a limb is damaged to that point anyway, sort of negating the point.  Of course, this might change further on in the game when enemies become more powerful, but at the moment I've not noticed it to be exceptionally important.

The characters themselves, though fewer in number, are far more engaging than many might have feared after the wooden dolls we were presented with in Oblivion.  They fall short of reaching the personality of a character in a true RPG, but all in all are decently fleshed out.  I found myself able to immerse myself fairly well into the game environment, while the wealth of dialogue choices were a true breath of fresh air after the laughable yes/no/maybe I had grown accustomed to.  Choices in answers and actions range from downright evil to completely angelic, with one or two options thrown in between the two extremes.  I actually felt as if I had the option to develop my character in whatever way I wished, instead of being limited and forced into the same mould every time.  I cannot speak for the storyline, as I've not yet progressed far enough to say much.

The graphics are what we've come to expect from Bethesda - beautifully detailed landscapes filled with poorly animated and rendered characters.  The wasteland itself does, in my opinion, capture the essence of a truly desolate place.  Contrary to what others may have said, I do not find it to be an incredibly overcrowded jumble of everything.  It's true that there's a lot packed into a small place, but I've not yet begun to feel cramped.  Friendly faces are virtually nonexistent, while enemies are scattered about with a fair amount of distance from one to the next.  The quick travel (identical in every way to Oblivion's) can ruin the atmosphere and immersion at times, but then again it is entirely up to the player's discretion whether they wish to use the option or not.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I am enjoying this game immensely so far - perhaps because I'm provided with a large, virtual playground to create my own sort of story and personality.  There are plenty of ugly quirks along the way, but nothing I can't live with.  Love it or hate it is what I think it all boils down to; I just so happen to love the game (so far), but I could easily see why someone else might hate it just as passionately.

#40 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

View Postt3h_n00b, on November 2nd 2008, 06:51 PM, said:

Right from the start I can see why people have referred to this game as "Oblivion with Guns"

I'm sold. Sign me up!
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit