51 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

At first, thoughts of this game were always accompanied with feelings of dread, but now, I'm finding myself cautiously optimistic.

Bethesda Studios has a lead writer! (That's right, they had no lead writer for any of their other games)

Also in the article, the writer mentioned and criticized "lore bombs", and how these are a very bad way to drive a story It seems like there is hope, but if they knew it is such a bad way to drive a game, why did they do it for their other games?

The graphics do undoubtedly look good. I'm (grudgingly)willing to give up turn-based combat if the writing is at least almost as good as in the other games. If it has the cynical Fallout flair and wit, I'll be content.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

I think there is a reasonable hope that its going to be quite good. I have one issue with it so far, the lack of any real motion to a character aside from a 3-4 second loop, combined with next to no facial animation aside from the mouth.

But I also see one or two potential issues with the gameplay, such as an over reliance on the SHB system or whatever its called. The one thatll take your shots for you. I guess itll really just depend on how you want to play the game, but even those who set out to play it like a FPS might find that the auto system just works better for them throughout.

so it does have the potential to be very good. My vote is out until I see reviews and other people's impressions as to whether Ill buy the game or not.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

V.A.T.S (Vault Assisted Targeting System). It sounds like it isn't worth wasting the time on weaker opponents, but with stronger opponents, it makes more sense. Plus it reduces the reliance on twitch gameplay.

#4 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

I said this before so i guess i'll just say it again.

From what I've seen, Fallout 3 has all of the little details about Oblivion, that i hated.
Monotonous NPC's, in motion, voice acting, animation, and actions.
The way the camera focusses on the same spot when you talk to someone, so no matter what every conversation you have seems exactly like the last one. Realistically when you go to talk to someone, do they stop what their doing just to turn around, face you, and talk to you. Especially if theyre angry with you.
Hell, i even heard one of the same voice actors from oblivion, doing his famous "I'm better than you because im a Breton and i'm always smiling" voice.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

Spot on AMG, all of those little niggling things with how the NPCs act. Theres no emotion at all in whatever they do. Its not even that theyre jarring because of approaching the uncanny valley, its just they theyre jarring because weve seen so much better from other games.

View PostDark_Archon, on September 6th 2008, 09:23 PM, said:

V.A.T.S (Vault Assisted Targeting System). It sounds like it isn't worth wasting the time on weaker opponents, but with stronger opponents, it makes more sense. Plus it reduces the reliance on twitch gameplay.

I just feel that the VATS is so much better than FPS style combat. I mean, maybe its because all the demos are played on easy so that they dont die, but every time they need a tough shot, switching into VATS just kills them, basically.
I dunno I guess Ill have to wait for the full release and other people's opinions.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

My only question is X360 or Winblows?

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#7 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

I've been waiting for another chapter to the fallout series for so long that I'm willing to overlook a lot when it comes out.  What type of character are you going to roll?

#8 morback

morback

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Diplomat and/or stealth, but from the videos it seems quite action heavy...Beautiful though...

#9 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

"Fallout 3" may or may not be a decent game, but it's not a faithful Fallout sequel.  That's my qualm.  A company with too much money to spend came along and bought the rights and tossed out the core gameplay elements in order to make something similar to the other games they make.  And they say it's a sequel.  That's called inadequate respect for your source material.

I'll pass.

#10 Vulpine

Vulpine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

View PostUniversalWolf, on September 17th 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

"Fallout 3" may or may not be a decent game, but it's not a faithful Fallout sequel.  That's my qualm.  A company with too much money to spend came along and bought the rights and tossed out the core gameplay elements in order to make something similar to the other games they make.  And they say it's a sequel.  That's called inadequate respect for your source material.

I'll pass.

I disagree. So long as it's faithful to the established setting, I don't care what variety the gameplay takes. The story is what matters to me.

#11 digt

digt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

View PostVulpine, on September 17th 2008, 06:29 AM, said:

I disagree. So long as it's faithful to the established setting, I don't care what variety the gameplay takes. The story is what matters to me.

I'd agree but caution that the name is an important distinction. By calling it Fallout 3 customers expect it to be a direct sequel rather than if they named it Fallout: Zeitgeist. Fallout will be a hit but perhaps there would of been less backlash from the community. That kind of marketing judgment is what fans of SimCity cite as one reason for SimCity Societies slow sales.

As a side note Interplay seems alive again and wants to develop a Fallout MMORPG, and they also have a new office near Blizzard about an hour south of Los Angeles.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Interplay!  Now there is a blast from the past.  It reminds me of my Wolfenstein 3D days!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

View Postdigt, on September 24th 2008, 10:27 PM, said:

As a side note Interplay seems alive again and wants to develop a Fallout MMORPG, and they also have a new office near Blizzard about an hour south of Los Angeles.

Making a good MMORPG is probably just as hard as making a worthy sequel to Fallout 1&2, if not harder. The only one that has even come close to being good is EVE.

I'd prefer if companies like Blizzard called their games MMO action games because they seem to completely forget about the RP part of RPG. They all lack content, and all that is left is grind (like leveling and item finding) and no meaningful interaction between players or with the world. Static worlds suck, especially in MMOs. I mean it seems so obvious that a good massively multiplayer game would need a dynamic world where players could actually do something.

#14 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

Wasn't fallouts earlier attempt at multiplayer a horrible failure? (FF:Tactics wasnt that well received, now was it?)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#15 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:03 PM

View PostVulpine, on September 17th 2008, 08:29 AM, said:

It's not a faithful sequel in story either.  Bethesda took what they wanted and added what they wanted from the original Fallout story, all the while bragging about how they own Fallout now, so they could do whatever they wanted.

Gameplay is crucial.  You can't buy the rights to Civilization, turn it into a FPS, and then claim your game is the Civilization 5 all Civ fans have been waiting for.  That's what Bethesda is trying to pull off.  First person perspective is at odds with the design intent of the original Fallout games, which was to simulate a tabletop, pen-and-paper RPG with miniatures and a modified GURPS system.  Either Bethesda never should have bought the Fallout license to begin with and come up with their own post-apocalyptic setting, or they should admit the game is a spinoff instead of a sequel and call it Fallout: Raiders of the Wastes or something.  By insisting their game is a sequel, they're showing, as I said, insufficient respect for the source material.  It's an issue of artistic ethics.

To me it will always be "Fallout 3" and I won't buy it.  Whether the game is good or not in its own right matters very little.

#16 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

I saw some of the trailers/gameplay video's and thought it looked promising. So long as they keep the atmosphere and feel of the game faithful to the classics I'm interested.

Would be nice to have a mac port after it eventually arrives :)

#17 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:31 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 25th 2008, 02:19 PM, said:

Static worlds suck, especially in MMOs. I mean it seems so obvious that a good massively multiplayer game would need a dynamic world where players could actually do something.

the problem with that theory is that if you make it so that players can "do something", then players who werent there when the game launched miss content and dont get to experience the game, because someone else already did.  Too bad for you, huh?

It just doesnt work.

#18 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

There is a great deal of concern about how close the game will be to the original Fallout games that were made more than a decade ago.    I'm trying to think of a case where a sequel to a gaming series which was developed by a different developer, was a 'faithful' sequel.  One possible example is the Sam and Max series, but I haven't played the new ones.

#19 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

View PostTetsuya, on September 27th 2008, 03:31 PM, said:

the problem with that theory is that if you make it so that players can "do something", then players who werent there when the game launched miss content and dont get to experience the game, because someone else already did.  Too bad for you, huh?

It just doesnt work.
In the face of that: I loved it in Neocron where things were established already, to first of all take in all the systems the players that started earlier put up before, and then stir them up by changing the "rules". (clan raids are fun)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#20 zombiejesus

zombiejesus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

woah!
all of this QQ about "is this a faithful sequel to my favorite game?"

are you people looking at the same videos i am?

if i can play through as a smarty pants/scientist/diplomat guy,
and then as a heavy guns moron,
and then again as a sneaky leather-only fisto,
i'm gonna be righteously ecstatic.
(yeah, i played through FO2 all 3 ways, as well as a few others).

i expect to be able to solve tricky quests a couple of different ways, and have the game chock full of little sf geek easter eggs. and some interesting, poignant moments. and a lot of dark humor. character advancement seems faithful. and the cast of monsters is true to the originals. and i'm excited to get to move the camera around and play first person.

what i don't like is the stop during character creation to spend 45 precious play minutes deciding what my eyebrows are going to look like. but, whatever. bring it on!

my question is (and i guess i haven't poked around enough to find this info) am i going to be able to play this on my mac, using bootcamp/parallels/crossover/whatever? or do i need to seriously consider a real winbox to play this?

~zj.