Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

In reply to these following questions made earlier:

View PostBrad Oliver, on September 12th 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

That's part of the hypothetical. If I had it, I'd try on the Mac first but if I found it ran faster/better on Boot Camp then I have no qualms with that route. Unfortunately, that'd be the path I took *after* a Mac test, and I'm curious if the 3-install business would screw that up.
From what I know, I assume you would not be able to install in on the second iMac, under boot camp, as the install would be essentially in a different drive. Because of that, I do not think it would make any difference if you installed in onto an external drive instead.

View Postdigt, on September 12th 2008, 10:54 PM, said:

Is it possible to completely reset which computers are authorized, or deauthorize specific computers ( la iTunes and MobileMe)?
From what I know ( therefore assume), that is not possible. I am sorry, but it seems you will have to ask a higher power, like the Web or some one else who is more knowledgeable in this are.

Liberator HD 1.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#82 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Someone at Ars Technica tested out the Spore DRM. Apparently you can reinstall it on the same machine and it doesn't count as a new install. I don't think they tested reformatting between installs though. When the guy tried more than three machines, he had to call EA and was promptly issued a new serial number. It still sucks that you need to call to get more installs, but if it does do something like record hardware configuration, it isn't quite as bad as just 3 installs total.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#83 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Are you able to deauthorize an install, anyone?

Liberator HD 1.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#84 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

no, you cant, but read the ars.technica details thing about it and it doesnt sound too bad for 3 installs. Because its 3 distinct machines with unlimited installs. (what happens when you put more RAM in?)

but it still sucks a ridiculous amount that you even have this limit in the first place.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#85 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

View Postteflon, on September 16th 2008, 07:33 PM, said:

no, you cant, but read the ars.technica details thing about it and it doesnt sound too bad for 3 installs. Because its 3 distinct machines with unlimited installs. (what happens when you put more RAM in?)

but it still sucks a ridiculous amount that you even have this limit in the first place.
They never mentioned if it was tied to a hardware profile or if it was just from leftover things from the uninstall like registry entries. It would be interesting if someone took three identical iMacs and installed it on each before trying a fourth machine.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#86 digt

digt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

There is an interesting read from gamepro/Macworld about Spore's DRM. The last part of the article is about them banning your account for complaining about the DRM on their forums. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

#87 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

They never mentioned if it was tied to a hardware profile or if it was just from leftover things from the uninstall like registry entries. It would be interesting if someone took three identical iMacs and installed it on each before trying a fourth machine.
its securom. itll get hidden deep in the system somewhere and be difficult to remove (on windows anyway).
thers a woman suing for $5million just because of that.
i wish her good luck
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#88 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

I wish her well too :D

My girlfriend attended a lecture about copyright yesterday, it is a really hot topic right now.

Basically, here in austria, there is a legislative thing going on, where the high court has to decide whether to stick with "datenschutz" (right of privacy?) or stand by "Urheberecht" (copyright, although directly translated it means "Author-right")
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.