• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 jackfs4

jackfs4

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

View PostN Mojave, on September 4th 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

Because I'm not buying a new system just to run Spore.

Me either, I'm not getting Spore since it won't run on my 2.16G Macbook.  The graphics don't even look like they require all that GPU horsepower.

#42 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

View PostEric5h5, on September 8th 2008, 03:44 PM, said:

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to turn the texture sizes down in the first place.  It's good that you're OK with it, but I'd complain at least a little.  :)

--Eric

Oh, I agree 100% with this. Took me a while to find it and figure out that was my issue. very annoying that they'd assume that large a texture would run well. I don't understand why the system simply didn't detect and preset most stuff for me.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#43 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 8th 2008, 05:04 PM, said:

Oh, I agree 100% with this. Took me a while to find it and figure out that was my issue. very annoying that they'd assume that large a texture would run well. I don't understand why the system simply didn't detect and preset most stuff for me.

Well, the presets would be fine if something (the X1600 drivers, Cider, whatever) wasn't broken.  Using a size of 2048 for the texture should be perfectly OK; other cards from 4 years ago can handle that without any problems.  It's sensible to assume that it would run well, because it does run well on other cards (and on the same cards in Windows, apparently).

--Eric

#44 Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

View PostEric5h5, on September 8th 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

Well, the presets would be fine if something (the X1600 drivers, Cider, whatever) wasn't broken.  Using a size of 2048 for the texture should be perfectly OK; other cards from 4 years ago can handle that without any problems.  It's sensible to assume that it would run well, because it does run well on other cards (and on the same cards in Windows, apparently).

--Eric

How are you folks adjusting the texture size??  Under the graphics settings, the only similar setting I see is referred to as "Graphic Cache Size".  Is that the same thing?  Thanks!!!

#45 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

View PostLeadfoot5, on September 8th 2008, 08:40 PM, said:

How are you folks adjusting the texture size??  Under the graphics settings, the only similar setting I see is referred to as "Graphic Cache Size".  Is that the same thing?  Thanks!!!

Yes it is. Mine read 2048. I simply clicked the down arrow until I got it to a reasonable (for my system 512). I kept the screen resolution to my iMac's native 1680x1050 and, while perhaps not the most stunningly visual game any more, the gameplay speed is absolutely playable now.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#46 Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 8th 2008, 06:33 PM, said:

Yes it is. Mine read 2048. I simply clicked the down arrow until I got it to a reasonable (for my system 512). I kept the screen resolution to my iMac's native 1680x1050 and, while perhaps not the most stunningly visual game any more, the gameplay speed is absolutely playable now.

Thanks!! I've found that reducing the lighting effects is another great way to get frames back as well...

#47 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

So, anyway, not that this has anything to do with framerates and whatnot, but this afternoon, here in Los Angeles a local radio host did a thing on "Spore" where she had someone from Gameslice.com as well as a real, live evolutionary biologist weigh in on the scientific merits and demerits of Spore.  It's vaguely interesting. If you go here:
http://www.scpr.org/...s/pattmorrison/

and scroll to the bottom of the page you should find the audio file.

#48 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

I've got mixed feelings about the game. The endgame 'Space' phase can be an exercise in frustration, with constant babysitting of colonies and associated micromanagement. Spaceward Ho had the right idea - construct a series of defensive satellites around your planets and let them get on with the job of tackling aggressors.

But on the positive side, I love dipping into the Sporepedia and seeing what's become of my creations and what other players are building. It's the sort of game I can spend a pleasant enough casual half hour playing.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#49 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on September 8th 2008, 01:22 PM, said:

So, question for everyone who has been playing it then (er, your kids have been playing it, then. ;) How has the DRM affected you? There's a lot of misinformation regarding exactly what you can and can't do with Spore and SecuRom, and I'd be interested in what ya'lls experiences have been so far.

Omaha Sternberg

Totally transparent in my case. I installed the game (on one machine only), entered the serial number, fired it up.
No DRM-associated nastiness. I can't see it being an issue in my case.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#50 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Where's the Wii version?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#51 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

View Postdojoboy, on September 9th 2008, 08:52 AM, said:

Where's the Wii version?

Good question. I was contemplating the Wii version but the big-box employees had no idea when/where it was. Abducted by roving bands of haggis, no doubt.

View Postnick68k, on September 9th 2008, 08:31 AM, said:

Totally transparent in my case. I installed the game (on one machine only), entered the serial number, fired it up.
No DRM-associated nastiness. I can't see it being an issue in my case.

Ditto. While I loathe DRM in general and SecuROM in particular, and wish all game companies would adopt the Gal Civ II way of doing things, it seemed totally transparent to me as well. I did what you did. But I also do know exactly what "extra stuff" was installed, where, in my Systems as well, should I ever wish to uninstall the game fully with the assumption that I wouldn't want that stuff hanging around if I did.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#52 richardm

richardm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 9th 2008, 02:38 PM, said:

Good question. I was contemplating the Wii version but the big-box employees had no idea when/where it was. Abducted by roving bands of haggis, no doubt.
Ditto. While I loathe DRM in general and SecuROM in particular, and wish all game companies would adopt the Gal Civ II way of doing things, it seemed totally transparent to me as well. I did what you did. But I also do know exactly what "extra stuff" was installed, where, in my Systems as well, should I ever wish to uninstall the game fully with the assumption that I wouldn't want that stuff hanging around if I did.

Assuming you're running the game on a Mac you can find SecuROM in (something like) '~/Library/SPORE Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/SecuROM/UserData/'.

#53 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

View Postrichardm, on September 9th 2008, 11:58 AM, said:

Assuming you're running the game on a Mac you can find SecuROM in (something like) ....

I also do know exactly what "extra stuff" was installed...

I didn't want to point it out specifically since anything to do with DRM around here can, possibly, be misinterpreted and/or cross lines. Just FYI.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#54 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

The 3 installs thing killed it for me. Why can't they do it like Bioshock where you can uninitialize the machine? It uses SecuROM too.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#55 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

Because they dont want you to re-sell your game on ebay. This way a second party purchaser has at most 2 new installs of the game. If you hit that magic limit you have to call them up and ask very nicely.

I think its DRM gone crazy, and for that reason (in addition to the not quite stellar reviews) I wont buy this game for a while yet. Maybe when its bargain bin, or I find it on ebay (with 1 new install guaranteed).
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#56 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

View Postteflon, on September 9th 2008, 07:39 PM, said:

Because they dont want you to re-sell your game on ebay. This way a second party purchaser has at most 2 new installs of the game. If you hit that magic limit you have to call them up and ask very nicely.

Yeah, I won't be getting this for my Mac.  It's the Wii version (if it happens) for me or nothing.  From what I've read and seen, this is a casual game which is perfect for the comfy couch.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#57 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm surprised EA hasn't said anything about it... especially after Amazon got hit with 1700 1-star reviews.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#58 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

I have to admit something, since I'm an x1600 advocate: I couldn't get the tiger hack to work, so I installed it in Bootcamp. I'd need to repack the DVD in order to make it work.

And in windows, the x1600 is more than enough with settings on high (except shadows).
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#59 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:45 AM

Not many reviews or opinions in here.

The more I play the game, the more I like it. I currently have 2 races in the Space phase, and so far my experience has been surprisingly different - I don't know if this is design or coincidence.

Also, re: my earlier gripes about the Creature, Tribal and Civ stages, these are much improved if you take your time and focus on developing your character rather than achieving immediate objectives.

Still a bit of a shame that the body part - stats mapping is so simplistic. Webbed hands, wings and bear feet make good stats, but stupid looking creatures.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#60 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

I think the game wouldve been much cooler if they implemented evolution much better. So you pick out where you want your character to evolve to (using the same points system) and then it takes 5 minutes for that extra arm to gradually grow out of the creatures body. And in the tribal stage, some of the creatures would evolve quicker than the others. Thatd be ace.

glad that the game has grown on you Charmin.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor