87 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

Note that the reviewers have somewhat agreed that the first two stages are the "slow" ones. I understood you'd be able to jump in to any age but without some of the benefits of having played the previous ones. Is that not true? If it is, try the later stages and report back (please).

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#22 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

I did give it another go. Second phase is still tedious, third phase is slightly less tedious, and definitely keeps you busy. Not *impressed* yet, but there's some promise for the later stages.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#23 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:51 AM

merge with the spore review thread?

also, I liked it. Not like my keyoard which is, afer replacin, sill NO WORKIN.... ARHHHHHHHHH

am.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#24 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

My oldest is begging to run out and buy a copy this morning at Future Shop. Probably will. Will post my $0.02 as well later.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#25 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Stiiiiiiill playing it. The game did indeed keep improving, and the Space phase is much more interesting. Not REALLY my cup of tea, but it's a much better game than the first few phases led me to believe.

Edit: Considering you have to jump through the hoops of the first 4 stages, it seems odd that so little of the Space phase is actually determined by your previous x-billion years. I've been playing it completely democratically so far, despite being just about as vicious as possible up until that point.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on September 6th 2008, 05:51 AM, said:

News and reviews threads can be duplicates of threads elsewhere in the forums and vice versa.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on September 6th 2008, 01:51 PM, said:

also, I liked it. Not like my keyoard which is, afer replacin, sill NO WORKIN.... ARHHHHHHHHH
agreed,

and sorry to carry on on the tangent, but Quanta, cant you just use an external keyboard for the time being?

EDIT:
no no, he means this one
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

View Postteflon, on September 6th 2008, 09:12 AM, said:

no no, he means this one
Yes in that case!  Merged.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 6th 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

My oldest is begging to run out and buy a copy this morning at Future Shop. Probably will. Will post my $0.02 as well later.

So now you've resorted to even begging, yourself?   :)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#30 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

View Postdojoboy, on September 6th 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

So now you've resorted to even begging, yourself?   :)

Ha. Didn't get a chance to buy it because the uninformed sales-thingy that assured me up, down and three different ways on Wednesday evening that they'd have 140+ copies ready to sell on Saturday morning now seems to have meant Sunday morning.

As a consolation prize I went out and bought $400 worth of hockey gear for my youngest son.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#31 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:35 AM

his ame is misundersood, his isn' a game, but more like a tool for telling stories, which is like wright promised. Great selling point, I might add.

The reason why the space phase is so "good", is because it's very game-like. You can still do what you want, but if you *want* to, you can follow missions and so on. And there's supposedly an ending.

I played 13 hours straight yesterday, and I only reached like half of the space age. (I was already in the civ age)

Also, strangely enough, the civ age is the most uninteresting. Because there is absolutely NO way of playing peacefully, unless you have economics, but as a peaceful race, you always get "religion", which destroys and kills just like military units do.

no, I dont have an external with a USB port. I have a ps2 windows keyboard, but no convertor. I had i replaced, u sill no ARHfhuhewouhweuowohe
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#32 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

How is the Mac performance of the game. Does it run well at high settings? Is it stable?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#33 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

It's stable, but it has a tendency to crash on quit (the best kind of crash).

I run it without issues, and only the occasional stutter, with default settings on 1024 x 768 windowed on the machine my sig. I suspect turning the settings up would introduce lag pretty quickly.

#34 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

I am installing right now in the Games account on my iMac. Sons are both happy.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#35 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

Okay, I've binged on this game like no other. I haven't played as much of a game so fast since... I don't know when.

Spore is brilliant, amazing, captivating, boring and bland all in the same breathe. Creating creatures is mind blowing and yet limiting, same with cities and vehicles. Once you get to the space part of the game it opens up but moves at a snails pace. You run around on errands to get new and improved parts. Anytime you setup a colony you have to layout your buildings the same as before, and even SELECT the buildings you'll use. Its annoying it doesn't default to the last used buildings. Notably, the space area consists of four main things:

Teraforming
Trading Spice colors
Traveling
Fighting

Most of the time you're just bouncing between galaxies. There's a bit of a cumbersome nature as you have to ENTER a galaxy in order to trade with it making it a huge time waster. Even on my Mac Pro, on a RAID1+0 getup, and 6 gigs of ram, there's still loading hesitations. Nothing major but it adds up. After awhile you realize you're just level grinding to buy the next bigger/badder spaceship. Meanwhile as you zip around buying and selling spice colors you occasionally have colonies raided by space pirates or infected with an outbreak which means you must drop what you're doing and hope you can make it back in time to shoot whatever is causing a crisis.

The game's owe ambition is its greatest weakness I've felt. Online doesn't download creatures nearly enough as I still have mostly a maxis playset. The creatures as variable as they are in looks personalities and abilities are pretty much all the same. My buddy was playing it on his laptop, and his world looked vastly different, cool but doesn't really help the game itself after a bit.

Also I can't seem to find people I know despite having their screennames and e-mail addresses nor can they find me. However I typed in a few random words to see if ti was working and sure enough, it is as it returned results.

Anyhow, here's my dude I made, arter raising him from a cell to space mode.

Posted Image

The game is brilliant and flawed, but hte model is genius. I imagine other games in the future will want to borrow the user created content that's transparently distributed to the other players as the game is so sophisticated yet painless.
the IMG audio guy...

#36 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

I've (mostly, I mean my son) has played now through cell and creature stages and the game is brilliant with a few flaws. The biggest for me was frame rate ... Core Do iMac with 2GB of RAM and the X1600 256MB card was sluggish from the get go and crawled during  Creature stage. I found that by turning down things to low helped, but also turning the texture sizes from the default (!) 2048 to 512 made it dramtically more playable. Otherwise, as a sandbox fan, I'm  loving it.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 8th 2008, 06:36 AM, said:

Core Do iMac with 2GB of RAM and the X1600 256MB card was sluggish from the get go

Apparently the X1600 and X1900 work terribly with this game, but other cards are fine.  Driver issues no doubt; at least Transgaming says it's Apple's fault....

--Eric

#38 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

View PostEric5h5, on September 8th 2008, 11:08 AM, said:

Apparently the X1600 and X1900 work terribly with this game, but other cards are fine.  Driver issues no doubt; at least Transgaming says it's Apple's fault....

--Eric

Actually, as I pointed out, as long as you take the time to turn the textures sizes way down from what is a large default setting, the game frame rate is very very smooth and quite snappy. No complaints at all so far.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#39 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

So, question for everyone who has been playing it then (er, your kids have been playing it, then. ;) How has the DRM affected you? There's a lot of misinformation regarding exactly what you can and can't do with Spore and SecuRom, and I'd be interested in what ya'lls experiences have been so far.

Omaha Sternberg
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#40 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 8th 2008, 01:49 PM, said:

Actually, as I pointed out, as long as you take the time to turn the textures sizes way down from what is a large default setting, the game frame rate is very very smooth and quite snappy. No complaints at all so far.

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to turn the texture sizes down in the first place.  It's good that you're OK with it, but I'd complain at least a little.  :)

--Eric