39 replies to this topic

#21 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

Yep--fun demo, and I'm considering buying. If anyone can confirm that the DRM is only for the download and then you can install on future machines forever without depending on a any server, I'm in! (If not, hopefully it will be sold boxed too?)

Anyone have any luck using nonkeyboard controls?

Yes. I use my Logitech Rumblepad 2 gamepad and it works great. Buy you can't just choose the controller--you have to choose the controller AND assign each control. So you change accelerate to be tilting the stick up, and brake to be tilting the stick back, etc. (In other words, it doesn't seem to have any defaults that it switches to if you choose another controller.) But there aren't many controls. Setting things up how you like is easy. Except for 3 controller gripes: 1) you have to exit the race entirely to tweak your controls. 2) you can't press Return/OK (such as to start the race) on the gamepad. It's the one thing the keyboard is still needed for. And 3) force feedback doesn't seem to work on my Rumblepad 2.

The game runs and looks great on my white iMac, Nvidia 7600GT/256.

Except that my shadow is a distracting big blocky flickering black thing. It's like I'm getting the shadow's ever-changing bounding box instead of the actual shadow. Anyone else see that? It's not the end of the world, but it's always visible and does detract.

#22 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

View Postnagromme, on October 23rd 2008, 12:07 PM, said:

Yep--fun demo, and I'm considering buying. If anyone can confirm that the DRM is only for the download and then you can install on future machines forever without depending on a any server, I'm in! (If not, hopefully it will be sold boxed too?)
Yes. I use my Logitech Rumblepad 2 gamepad and it works great. Buy you can't just choose the controller--you have to choose the controller AND assign each control. So you change accelerate to be tilting the stick up, and brake to be tilting the stick back, etc. (In other words, it doesn't seem to have any defaults that it switches to if you choose another controller.) But there aren't many controls. Setting things up how you like is easy. Except for 3 controller gripes: 1) you have to exit the race entirely to tweak your controls. 2) you can't press Return/OK (such as to start the race) on the gamepad. It's the one thing the keyboard is still needed for. And 3) force feedback doesn't seem to work on my Rumblepad 2.

Except that my shadow is a distracting big blocky flickering black thing. It's like I'm getting the shadow's ever-changing bounding box instead of the actual shadow. Anyone else see that? It's not the end of the world, but it's always visible and does detract.

Thanks, I tried that, but in the assign controls menu nothing happens when I push buttons or either stick on my control pad. I contacted VP about it, we'll see what happens.

I did purchase the full version. Had no trouble burning it to a DVD. It does ask you to enter a number one when running the game as others have mentioned. I only have one mac that can run this game, so I can't try it out on a different computer to see what happens.

#23 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

As far as I remember, nagromme has controllermate or something similar installed. Maybe that's what's allowing him to set everything up?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#24 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

I do have ControllerMate (awesome app) but I didn't need it for Flat Out. The RumblePad 2 is recognized and configurable directly within Flat Out.

I might use ControllerMate to put the Return key on the pad though.

#25 cyberdog

cyberdog

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

View Postnagromme, on October 23rd 2008, 11:07 AM, said:

Me too
Same problem.
Shadow are big black thing.
With my old iMac Coreduo 1.83 with ATI X1600 no proble, only with second generation with NVidia 7600.

#26 cyberdog

cyberdog

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:54 AM

New version 1.0.1 come
don't work for me
Problem with shadow

#27 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Flatout 2 is now only $5 on the Mac App Store!!!

#28 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m tempted!

Especially when I see this:

Safety first, people!

#29 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Definitely the best arcade-style racer that's out on Mac. Not that that's a difficult task to accomplish since the competition is almost non-existent. Ten dollars was a good deal already. Five bucks is downright dirt cheap.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#30 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

I went for it :)

Running from my Air to external HD projector looks great. The game has nice textures and lighting, glossy paint, sun glare, particles... I really am not aware during play that Iím seeing previous-gen graphics. (And they donít tax my HD 3000 GPU.

Getting the external to work at the res I wanted was a pain at first, but I figured out how to trick it. If anyone runs intro trouble with that, let me know.

I like how your engine echoes when you drive through the mall. Nice touch :)

#31 silicongurnu

silicongurnu

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

I have been trying to decide whether to get the Mac or PC version of this. I would prefer the Mac version since my main machine is a Mac but the PC side has community mods. I've been searching for an answer as to whether it is possible to install PC community mods for Flatout2 to the Mac version.

this is the only thing I've found :

http://flatoutjoint....6&topic=1650.30

post at the bottom of page 3

The mods install on the mac the same way they do on the PC, add the .bfs files to a file called "patch" (without quotes) inside the "Data" folder inside your FlatOut 2 folder. It does crash more than on the PC though.

Can anybody playing the Mac version confirm this?

Thanks a lot!

#32 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

View Postsilicongurnu, on 30 March 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Hi,

I have been trying to decide whether to get the Mac or PC version of this. I would prefer the Mac version since my main machine is a Mac but the PC side has community mods. I've been searching for an answer as to whether it is possible to install PC community mods for Flatout2 to the Mac version.

this is the only thing I've found :

http://flatoutjoint....6&topic=1650.30

post at the bottom of page 3

Can anybody playing the Mac version confirm this?

Thanks a lot!

I don't have time to test now, although Iím curious. But thereís a further question: can mods be installed on BOTH the retail FlatOut 2 AND the App Store version? App Store releases sometimes have differences, whether for security reasons (meeing Appleís rules), or due to middleware licensing, or I donít know what.... For instance, some App Store games canít do multiplayer with users of the earlier game, and in the case of FlatOut 2, I have been unable to get cheat codes to work (unlock novelty vehicles etc.) which makes me wonder whether maybe they DID work in the pre-App Store Mac version. I donít know, but itís something to check before you buy, if mods are important to you.

(For me, mods sound cool but not rebooting sounds cooler! Plus I love the ease of the App Store and its updates. And I recently tried moving App Store games to an external drive. The App Store still sees them as installed, so I think updates should be OK! I did have to drag the moved games back into Launchpad once, but thatís easy.)

#33 edirol08

edirol08

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

I bought this game from the Mac App Store, and it says I need a registration code. I checked my e-mail thrice, iTunes twice, (I knew it wouldn't be there, but I like to have a state of mind where I know I did everything I can.) And the MAS twice. (Ditto) Anyway, I bought it last night, and here I am, 10:30 in the morning, and I don't have it! Help! AAAAHHHHH!!!!! :crying:

#34 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Did you ever resolve this? Just curious. Maybe the code went in your spam/bulk folder. All that failing, you should email MAS support or whatever.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#35 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I bought Flat Out 2 a few days ago from Deliver2Mac (£6.99) after successfully testing the demo on my new Mac (running ML)... however, the full version (1.04) crashes my Mac instantly and it auto-restarts. I sent a support request to Deliver2Mac but had no reply yet.

Anyone else had this issue running this game on ML (10.8)?

btw my USB controler works great with the demo!
"At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer

#36 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'll try and give it ago when I finished everything in progress and can quit all my running applications, however I'm on ATI/AMD graphics and if you are on Nvidia it appears the issue might be related to that from this thread on Apple discussions:

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

#37 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Postmattw, on 06 November 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I'll try and give it ago when I finished everything in progress and can quit all my running applications, however I'm on ATI/AMD graphics and if you are on Nvidia it appears the issue might be related to that from this thread on Apple discussions:
https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 6770M card with 512Mb RAM, so don't think it's this issue, but thanks anyway!

The odd thing is that the demo works fine, just not the full version!
"At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer

#38 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

OK I final got to quit everything and try it on 10.8.2 (I'm on a Mac Pro 2009 with Radeon 5870) - thankfully the game didn't crash my machine but everything from the intro movie to the menus and the game itself was incredibly slow - were talking seconds per frame rather than fps, so total unusable.

The only error in the console I could see was:

FlatOut 2[46260]: objc[46260]: Class TSSandboxPrefs is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/TSLicense and /Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Import.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Import. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

FlatOut 2[46260]: objc[46260]: Class TSSandboxPrefs is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/TSLicense and /Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

With Flip4mac and Quicktime mentioned that might explain the videos but not really in game so I guess it now a case of if the game will get a patch....

#39 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

The game now works fine again for me with the 1.0.5 update

#40 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members