11 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:10 AM

PopCap Games, a popular developer and publisher of casual games, recently provided updated statistics on its flagship franchise Bejeweled, the extremely successful match three puzzle title. Based on updated information from PopCap's distribution partners across Web, mobile, retail, in-flight and other channels, Bejeweled and Bejeweled 2 have collectively sold more than 25 million units across all platforms since the game first appeared in late 2000.

“Considering we tried to sell Bejeweled outright to more than one industry giant back in the early days of our company, and got no takers even after reducing our asking price to $60,000, this little game has done all right for itself,” said Jason Kapalka, chief creative officer and co-founder of PopCap, and the original designer of Bejeweled and its sequel. “I vividly recall prospective buyers telling us ‘It’s not even a game,’ while showing us the door,” Kapalka laughed.

While the casual games “audience” is estimated at between 350 million and 450 million, this estimate is based on “regular” players, consumers who enjoy casual games on a monthly or more frequent basis; hundreds of millions of additional consumers have experienced a casual game, most often Bejeweled, at least once in their lives. More than 350 million copies of the Bejeweled/Bejeweled 2 have been downloaded from the Web, accounting for nearly a third of the 1 billion-plus downloads of all PopCap® titles. Tens of millions of copies of Bejeweled have been installed on mobile phones worldwide, and more than 25 million units of the game have been sold across all platforms, amounting to over $300 million in consumer spending over the history of the game. (Additionally, Bejeweled has garnered tens of millions of dollars in online advertising.)

For the past three years and counting, Bejeweled has consistently been among the top three “family entertainment” software titles sold at retail, while most hit video games achieve such ranking for one or two months. Likewise, the game has been one of the top three sellers among mobile games for more than three years running. Among PopCap’s own customer base, exposure to Bejeweled is exceptionally high: a survey of 13,000 PopCap customers conducted in April 2008 found that fully 95% of them had played Bejeweled in some form.

The Bejeweled franchise is also one of the most ubiquitous and accessible in the history of video games, with versions of the game available for Web, PCs and Macs, mobile phones, Xbox and PlayStation consoles, PDAs and Blackberrys, iPods and iPhone, in-flight on leading airlines, on-demand TV systems in hotels – even scratch-off lottery tickets in many states. All told, Bejeweled and Bejeweled 2 have collectively been enjoyed for an estimated 6 billion hours – the equivalent of 60 people playing the game 24 hours a day since the last Ice Age 11,400 years ago.
Head over to the link below for more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4262 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Impressive.. Congratulations! :)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8520 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

...and when would count the games that are not actually Bejeweled but blatant rip-offs, the number of Bejeweled-like games sold probably goes into the bazillions...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

View PostIMG News, on August 22nd 2008, 06:10 AM, said:

the equivalent of 60 people playing the game 24 hours a day since the last Ice Age 11,400 years ago.

Filed under "most creative but useless metric of all time".  ;)  Would not want to be one of those 60 people in any case....

--Eric

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17581 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Think though of all that we could learn from those people.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on August 22nd 2008, 05:10 PM, said:

Think though of all that we could learn from those people.

How to put three similar things next to each other?

--Eric

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17581 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

Put that way it does sound a bit trite.  But have you ever wondered how someone could hold their pee for a decamillennia?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 dggraphics

dggraphics

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Wow.  Really surprised this game sells so much.

#9 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

I'm guilty for two copies purchased. Bejeweled &  Bejeweled 2. I guess I'm .000008% for making this a huge success.

#10 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

I'm sorry but TETRIS FTW!  :thumbsup:

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#11 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:58 AM

Heh, blatant Bejeweled rip-offs... despite the fact that Bejeweled is a blatant rip-off of another Tetris rip off game called "jewelbox" that I used to play in the early 90s...  It had the exact same style and mechaninc.  Nothing original at all about bejeweled.
Posted Image

I think the reason it sells so well is that tetris style games are some of the few games that work well on non iphone cell phones...

View PostJanichsan, on August 22nd 2008, 03:24 PM, said:

...and when would count the games that are not actually Bejeweled but blatant rip-offs, the number of Bejeweled-like games sold probably goes into the bazillions...

Try my award winning space strategy game Constellation.
Visit: http://www.paperdragongames.com

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8520 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

View Postmattness, on August 25th 2008, 01:58 PM, said:

Heh, blatant Bejeweled rip-offs... despite the fact that Bejeweled is a blatant rip-off of another Tetris rip off game called "jewelbox" that I used to play in the early 90s...  It had the exact same style and mechaninc.  Nothing original at all about bejeweled.
Did you ever actually play Bejeweled? It has nothing in common with Tetris or Jewelbox (which is basically a Hatris rip-off)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"