badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

Key traits I'm interested in:
  • Works equally well with OS X/Win XP
  • Durable; cleanable (my mighty mouse's scroll wheel is hopelessly stuck, don't want to repeat that)
  • A couple of extra programmable buttons would be a bonus
  • Comfortable, responsive, etc. (obvious stuff)
  • Inexpensive as possible (sort of goes without saying, but my budget is actually small enough that buying a new mouse at all counts as a guilty luxury)
I've never bought a new mouse or even looked into it before, so any suggestion is appreciated.

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Logitech MX518, Logitech G5 and Razer DeathAdder and Razer DiamondBack are all great choices in my opinion. I use a MX510 and MX518 or Mighty Mouse at work (hey that's the curse of working for an Apple resale store).

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

My Logitech G5 mouse goes right down that check list of yours.  I've had this thing for 2 or 3 years now and it has been absolutely trouble free, works right out of the box with no drivers to install.  If this thing ever dies or wears out (very little signs of wear on the pads) I'd get another one.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thanks guys.  I may not get a new mouse for a while after all.  I looked up those recommended ones and they seem to run $40 at the cheap end, which is rather more than I had in mind to spend.

#5 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

It is a good idea to wait. Good mice aren't particularly cheap, but they are worth the expense.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on August 25th 2008, 11:46 PM, said:

It is a good idea to wait. Good mice aren't particularly cheap, but they are worth the expense.

Yep...it makes sense to get something as good as possible, when it comes to something you use that much.

--Eric

#7 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I replaced my mighty mouse with a white bluetooth laser mouse by a company called rocketfish at best buy.  I could not be happier.

#8 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'm in the market for a new mouse with an MBP on the way! I took a look at some of the recommendations and have a couple questions. The G5 looks like a great mouse, but it doesn't say anything about Mac compatibility on the Logitech site. I assume you are able to use it with a Mac, Battle Cat? Are the extra side buttons usable in games, or is that Windows only?

Thanks!

edit: I did not realize Razer has a Mac version of the Deathadder. I'm debating between this and the G5. I hate wireless mice.
私は今日日本語で話します。

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

View PostKaoro, on October 20th 2008, 05:06 PM, said:

I'm in the market for a new mouse with an MBP on the way! I took a look at some of the recommendations and have a couple questions. The G5 looks like a great mouse, but it doesn't say anything about Mac compatibility on the Logitech site. I assume you are able to use it with a Mac, Battle Cat? Are the extra side buttons usable in games, or is that Windows only?

Thanks!

edit: I did not realize Razer has a Mac version of the Deathadder. I'm debating between this and the G5. I hate wireless mice.
The G5 works perfectly with the OSX drivers.  It's not a problem, you'll love it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

Get the deathadder, its excellent.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

AussieMacGamer owns stock in DeathAdder.  You can't trust him, him speak with forked tongue (which admittedly is handy for eating Chicken McNuggets).  He kicks puppies and eats his young.  Get the Logitech G5.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

I endorse the DeathAdder.

By the way, you know what we should do, is make a poll out of this: which mouse is better?

a) The DeathAdder

b) Logitech G5

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#13 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

Get the G5. I got it on tBC's glowing review and love absolutely everything about it. Plenty of buttons, on the go DPI switching (perfect for getting into the sniping mood) and a great feel and response. I would recommend it anyday, and for only $60 its great value for the money.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on October 25th 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

I endorse the DeathAdder.
The Liberator is related to Jabba the Hut on his father's side.  He can't be trusted.  He was also in a terrible accident and has received a partial brain transplant from a roo.  You don't want to take advice from a man who opens doors with his forehead.  Get the Logitec G5.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

He sewed a pouch on his belly a few weeks back.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#16 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hahaha!

After reading tBC:s's first comment about Aussie I had to throw in a G5 v2 mouse when ordering a Logitech MOMO Racing wheel and a D-Link DIR-655 router.

... or maybe it wasn't *only* because of the comment; I have a Logitech MX500 and the G5 has the same form factor so I know what I'll be getting. I was about to order a MX620 instead but read that it may be hard to make a middle-clicks with it without scrolling the wheel at the same time. Since I use the middle-click when playing BF2142 that was a deal-breaker.

If you decide to get the G5, make sure it's v2 with two thumb buttons. The older G5 only has a single thumb button.

#17 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

What Maccer said about the v2.  ;)

#18 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on October 26th 2008, 10:45 AM, said:

The Liberator is related to Jabba the Hut on his father's side.  He can't be trusted.  He was also in a terrible accident and has received a partial brain transplant from a roo.  You don't want to take advice from a man who opens doors with his forehead.  Get the Logitec G5.

Then take the advice of someone that has been ranked at or around the top 1000 in the world in Halo PC, Company of Heroes, and Call of Duty 4: buy a DeathAdder.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#19 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

There is a huge problem with both of them!

They have cords.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#20 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on October 26th 2008, 10:52 PM, said:

There is a huge problem with both of them!
They have cords.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.  No lag + no batteries = win.

--Eric