Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:31 AM

View PostEric5h5, on August 21st 2008, 09:17 AM, said:

Good heavens, we wouldn't want to do that!  If essential digital rights were loosed upon the world, people might start getting uppity.  That's much worse than losing digital rights.

View Postcharmin, on August 21st 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

I can't believe it took all the way until this post for someone to pick up on that. I was warming up my flamethrower and everything.

There's something strangely oxymoronic about "Digital Rights".

I cannot lose my inalienable digital rights once they have been loosed! Let us draw up a Bill of Digital Rights and amend the Digital Constitution.

#42 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

Let's dress up like Indians and throw all our CDs into the Boston Harbor!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#43 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

View PostJan, on August 20th 2008, 03:02 PM, said:

Should I turn off FSAA?!? If it helps, I patched the German retail version of KotOR with the UB beta patch (1.03 Rev D).

Are you using FSAA in conjunction with the full-screen effects (e.g. glow and/or soft shadows)? I'll be honest and say that I typically play with the full-screen effects on and FSAA off, so it woudn't surprise me to find that FSAA is implicated. I'll mess with it this weekend and see, but I'd also appreciate some feedback from you on if FSAA off makes a marked improvement.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#44 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on August 21st 2008, 07:36 PM, said:

Are you using FSAA in conjunction with the full-screen effects (e.g. glow and/or soft shadows)? I'll be honest and say that I typically play with the full-screen effects on and FSAA off, so it woudn't surprise me to find that FSAA is implicated. I'll mess with it this weekend and see, but I'd also appreciate some feedback from you on if FSAA off makes a marked improvement.

I deactivated FSAA (4 x AA was on), no soft shadows or frame buffer effects, detail level is "high", resolution 1.024 x 768 strechted, but still the same problems: On the Endar Spire, KotOR is lagging a lot , especially during fights. To be honest, I can't see much difference to the non-UB version. :(
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#45 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

Shine is kind of coming off of JE:SE for me. A little too click happy during combat. Click click click jump jump heal click click block click click jump heal jump jump heal jump click click. Repeat.
I guess my issue is that you get boxed into combat arenas. You can be fighting in the middle of a village or along a deserted path and when combat occurs, suddenly invisible barriers spring up to box you into one little area. No kiting at all. :(
Still a fun game, but not liking it as much as I thought I would.

#46 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:23 AM

View PostRev-O, on August 22nd 2008, 01:04 AM, said:

Shine is kind of coming off of JE:SE for me. A little too click happy during combat. Click click click jump jump heal click click block click click jump heal jump jump heal jump click click. Repeat.
I guess my issue is that you get boxed into combat arenas. You can be fighting in the middle of a village or along a deserted path and when combat occurs, suddenly invisible barriers spring up to box you into one little area. No kiting at all. :(
Still a fun game, but not liking it as much as I thought I would.

Same for me: The artwork and overall atmosphere is amazing, but I'd take KotOR's combat system and force powers over Jade's real-time fights/magic anyday.

macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#47 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

View PostJan, on August 21st 2008, 01:52 PM, said:

I deactivated FSAA (4 x AA was on), no soft shadows or frame buffer effects, detail level is "high", resolution 1.024 x 768 strechted, but still the same problems: On the Endar Spire, KotOR is lagging a lot , especially during fights. To be honest, I can't see much difference to the non-UB version. :(

So the obvious next question: are you sure you're launching the UB build and not the prior version?

Also, have you at any point disabled VBOs in the .ini file (perhaps to try and "fix" the Dantooine performance)?

If so, there's your problem - Rosetta implicitly disables all VBO performance to a slow path (for byte-swapping reasons), so explicitly disabling VBOs in the KOTOR ini file would be a pretty large performance hit, comparable to Rosetta's performance.

It's worth noting that the issue with VBO performance that plagued KOTOR on PPC Macs was fixed in Leopard - this was one of the things I investigated when I was at Apple last year.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#48 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on August 22nd 2008, 03:41 PM, said:

So the obvious next question: are you sure you're launching the UB build and not the prior version?

Also, have you at any point disabled VBOs in the .ini file (perhaps to try and "fix" the Dantooine performance)?

If so, there's your problem - Rosetta implicitly disables all VBO performance to a slow path (for byte-swapping reasons), so explicitly disabling VBOs in the KOTOR ini file would be a pretty large performance hit, comparable to Rosetta's performance.

It's worth noting that the issue with VBO performance that plagued KOTOR on PPC Macs was fixed in Leopard - this was one of the things I investigated when I was at Apple last year.

1. Yes, I'm launching the UB version. Get info shows "Universal" and "1.03 Rev D (45217)".

2. It's a fresh install on a new machine. I've never changed anything in the .ini file.

3. Maybe the drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 are fire trucked up?

Brad, is that YOU in your avatar picture? If yes, it surely is frightening.

macOS Sierra

#49 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

View PostJan, on August 23rd 2008, 01:31 PM, said:

3. Maybe the drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 are fire trucked up?

That could be. The Radeon HD 2600 didn't exist when we released the UB build, and I've never personally run it on that hardware. I have a card here in my Mac Pro though so I'll give it a shot and see.

Brad, is that YOU in your avatar picture? If yes, it surely is frightening.

Take off!
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#50 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:37 AM

What a pleasant surprise to see Jade Empire: SE come to the mac! I've never been disappointed with a Bioware game and have jumped the gun and ordered today :)

Well done to Transgaming for pulling this out of the hat for us!

Reference the comments on KOTOR I'm running the UB on a iMac 2.33Ghz, 3GB RAM & 7600GT. I'm running at full resolution (1600 x 1200), high graphic setting with shadows, grass, x2 sample AA and anisotrophy with flawless performance. I have had a couple of random crashes and occassionally the sound will blip and cut out but no show stoppers and no issues with performance. I'm running 10.4.11. Thanks to Brad to allowing us to enjoy this classic RPG on our intel macs :)

#51 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:14 AM

As you might have noticed, I've changed my setup and now run a shiny new 24" iMac! Woohoo!

JE runs very, very well on this beasty little iMac, just like a good, native port. The only thing
you have to take care of: Turn off FSAA when you run the Nvidia 8800, or you'll get massive
lags during gameplay.

Transgaming is aware of the issue and they think this will be fixed with the next OS X update,
because of new Nvidia gfx drivers.

macOS Sierra

#52 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

View PostRev-O, on August 20th 2008, 06:36 PM, said:

Any other Browncoats pick up on who voices Gao the Lesser?

I traded in my Xbox version of the game, so I had to IMDB it but ZOMG CAPTAIN MAL

#53 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

I think you'll find Sir Roderick's voice was much more awesome.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#54 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

View Postcharmin, on September 12th 2008, 03:50 PM, said:

I think you'll find Sir Roderick's voice was much more awesome.

Maybe for a life long Python fan, but not to a Browncoat. ;)
I've been a huge Python fan for 3 a very long time, but hearing John Cleese be, well, John Cleese, wasn't as cool as realizing that Gao the Lesser was Captain Mal.

#55 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

Different is, Roderick is an entertaining character, Gao is a douche :P
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#56 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:23 AM

Since I'm done with Jack Keane, I've picked up Jade Empire again and having a blast playing it!
In my opinion, outside of Japan, no one knows better how to tell an intriguing story than those
Bioware guys.

Maybe it's not exactly the next KotOR, but still a great RPG, even though combat seems to
be pretty easy, at least during the first 5 hours of gameplay. I mean, I beat Gao and didn't
even care to block once during the fight. What the hell is that?

Anyway, it's jolly good fun and still looks very pretty after all those years. :)

macOS Sierra

#57 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Just got around to playing JE:SE again after a break from it and finished it.
Yep, this game was a kung fu epic version of KotOR with a dull combat system and better graphics. I thought KotOR was a nice enough RPG but not great, and I'd put JE:SE in the same boat. If you like KotOR you'll probably like JE:SE just fine.
The good: Atmosphere, graphics, story are all top notch. Amazing visuals, engrossing story, variety of solutions, interesting characters. Towards the end of the game you get to play briefly as two of your henchmen, which is pretty cool.
The bad: Combat, linear, no exploration. the combat system is really tedious from top to bottom. It's pretty to look at, but other than that I thought it was horrible. You could be walking along a path and enter combat. Suddenly, you can't run down the path, you are locked into a box on the path by invisible walls. Guess kiting your opponents is not the kung fu way. On top of this combat is a button-mashfest. The game is really linear. There are side quests around, but the game spoon feeds the main quest to you. Find the gold flag on your map and go there. Complete the task set before you (which may take a bit of exploring) and then go to the next gold flag on your map. No real exploration. Every location and map pretty much exists to further the main quest. This is not a big dynamic world to explore, it is a point A to point B journey. This made the game feel 'small' to me. While the story was epic, I never believed that it was happening across a vast empire. Just seemed like the village you start at was next door to the big city you end up in.

I guess I'd give it 4/5, but not because the game is a solid 4/5 but rather because part of the game is amazing and part is really disappointing. The graphics and story are 5/5. Music and voice acting are 5/5. Combat is 2/5. Linear game play is 2/5. Scope of game (world size, exploration, etc.) is 3/5.

For the record, while it had some occasional crashes are several odd graphical anomalies (like the black letterbox bands turning grey or getting stripes in them) that didn't really effect game play, the Cider conversion was roughly as stable as the non-Cider Fable was. I liked the fact that it was a DL game and so required no CD check. I've grown to hate CD checks.

I'd feel it was a worthwhile purchase.

#58 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

I just finished this and thought it was amazingly fun. I do agree that the "all of a sudden you are locked into a fight" thing is irritating, but on the other hand, it makes the stakes of the fights a little higher. The story and the art are really very good--the linear nature of the story I thought worked well; I don't think that every game needs to be a "sandbox" to be fun. And I found the control scheme worked well, once I did a little keyboard customizing. I actually enjoyed it enough that I'm jumping right back in again as a different type of character.

#59 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

Got it last night, had some issues installing but i manually installed it on my system rather then with the mac game store.
So far its fun. My biggest gripe is that in combat,you cant go up to one of the shrines and refreash your chi or focus. very lame if this is true and just me not figuring out how to use them. When not in combat they work fine.

#60 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

Anyone played this game on a 8600M in mac? Whats the performance like.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB