Jump to content


Jade Empire Special Edition


  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:08 AM

i think that OGL is pretty well optimised, actually. Its jut not optimised towards giving the absolute best gaming performance. And most recently the NV cards are getting shocking drivers...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#22 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

Bought and downloading!

#23 Jan

Jan

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:58 AM

View PostRev-O, on August 19th 2008, 05:03 PM, said:

Bought and downloading!

Great! Please let us know how well the game is performing on your hardware.

I've never played JE on Xbox or PC, quite like it so far, but I'm weak in
real-time combat KOTOR's fighting system would be better for me.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#24 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

View PostJan, on August 20th 2008, 07:58 AM, said:

Great! Please let us know how well the game is performing on your hardware.

I've never played JE on Xbox or PC, quite like it so far, but I'm weak in
real-time combat KOTOR's fighting system would be better for me.

My rig: 17" MBP 2.33GHz C2D, 256mb X1600, 3GB ram
Running the game at 1680x1050. AA is off. Bloom Lighting, Frame Buffer Effects (whatever that is), and Focus Trails are on.
Occasional lag during game play, but nothing that ruins the game for me. Game plays fine. Sure looks pretty. Really pretty. Role playing is Asian flavored KotOR (meaning the way dialog is handled and the way quests are done), but the game play is real time combat and a magic system instead of Force powers. The combat is fairly button mashy and the magic system isn't as cool as how the Force was used in KotOR, but it does a very nice job evoking an eastern vibe. The combat is sufficiently fancy looking and the ability to change techniques mid combat enhances the coolness factor.

I've had some weird color issues. The borders of the screen are supposed to be black, but I've had occasional color changes (red, white, turquoise, etc) which doesn't effect play at all but makes me wonder about stability. Random color changes are seldom a good thing in my experience. Just had the game crash to desktop for the first time (about 12 hours of play time). JE:SE crashed but Cider stayed up and running... no crash log was generated.

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

View PostRev-O, on August 20th 2008, 05:05 PM, said:

Just had the game crash to desktop for the first time (about 12 hours of play time). JE:SE crashed but Cider stayed up and running... no crash log was generated.
Typical Cider behaviour. Be prepared to see this... a lot.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#26 Jan

Jan

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

View PostRev-O, on August 20th 2008, 05:05 PM, said:

My rig: 17" MBP 2.33GHz C2D, 256mb X1600, 3GB ram
Running the game at 1680x1050. AA is off. Bloom Lighting, Frame Buffer Effects (whatever that is), and Focus Trails are on.
Occasional lag during game play, but nothing that ruins the game for me. Game plays fine. Sure looks pretty. Really pretty. Role playing is Asian flavored KotOR (meaning the way dialog is handled and the way quests are done), but the game play is real time combat and a magic system instead of Force powers. The combat is fairly button mashy and the magic system isn't as cool as how the Force was used in KotOR, but it does a very nice job evoking an eastern vibe. The combat is sufficiently fancy looking and the ability to change techniques mid combat enhances the coolness factor.

I've had some weird color issues. The borders of the screen are supposed to be black, but I've had occasional color changes (red, white, turquoise, etc) which doesn't effect play at all but makes me wonder about stability. Random color changes are seldom a good thing in my experience. Just had the game crash to desktop for the first time (about 12 hours of play time). JE:SE crashed but Cider stayed up and running... no crash log was generated.

Wow, already 12 hours, I've only played 2 hours yet and I agree: Even though the game is fairly old, it still looks amazing. I experience the same occasional lag, but it isn't really disturbing. The universal binary version of KotOR performs worse on my iMac – and that's a "native" port. But I need some getting used to the combat system, especially to the way magic is handled.

Rev-O, are you playing a girl or a guy, and which "class"?
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#27 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

    All hail Bastet

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

All this description of fun gameplay making my wallet finger all twitchy ...

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi


"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau


#28 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

View PostJanichsan, on August 20th 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

Typical Cider behaviour. Be prepared to see this... a lot.

Yah, Cider is far from perfect. I feel that JE:SE + Cider running on OSX > no JE:SE on OS X at all, so I guess I'll take it (provided it plays all the way through). Better than Bootcamp for me: I can leave JE:SE up and running in windowed mode paused while I do internet and email.

View PostJan, on August 20th 2008, 12:21 PM, said:

Wow, already 12 hours, I've only played 2 hours yet and I agree: Even though the game is fairly old, it still looks amazing. I experience the same occasional lag, but it isn't really disturbing. The universal binary version of KotOR performs worse on my iMac and that's a "native" port. But I need some getting used to the combat system, especially to the way magic is handled.

Rev-O, are you playing a girl or a guy, and which "class"?

Playing as a girl, custom built. Started off kinda balanced but focusing more and more on Body and Spirit. Using Legendary Wave as my Martial technique.

Um... am I the only one that finds a vertical scrolling shooter mini-game in an RPG a bit odd? I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of RPG mini-games. The Star Wars poker thing in KotOR didn't do much for me. Chicken kicking in Fable was at least amusing, all be it briefly. Xevious in an asian themed RPG?  :cool:

#29 Tesseract

Tesseract

    Unmanageable Megaweight

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

View PostRev-O, on August 21st 2008, 05:38 AM, said:

Um... am I the only one that finds a vertical scrolling shooter mini-game in an RPG a bit odd?
Didn't one (or more) of the Final Fantasy games do something like that?

#30 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

    All hail Bastet

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

Does it employ SecuROM at all? I won't knowingly buy a title or support developers who resort to even more heavy-handed DRM schemes. http://www.insidemac.......c=34586&hl=

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi


"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau


#31 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

View PostJan, on August 20th 2008, 11:21 AM, said:

The universal binary version of KotOR performs worse on my iMac and that's a "native" port.

You can't be serious! How are you measuring this performance? Can you give me something to go on? (The UB of KotOR runs really smooth for me on a gimpy Core Duo iMac 1.83GHz with the Radeon X1600, which is a lesser machine than yours.)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#32 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on August 20th 2008, 03:27 PM, said:

Does it employ SecuROM at all? I won't knowingly buy a title or support developers who resort to even more heavy-handed DRM schemes. http://www.insidemac.......c=34586&hl=

I was under the (perhaps false) impression that SecuROM was used to try and foil CD/DVD duplication. If that's the case, JE:SE is a digital download. No CD/DVD.

Edit: Huh. Library>Preferences>JadeEmpire Preferences>p_drive>User>Application Data>SecuROM>UserData>readme.txt

readme.txt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILES IN THIS FOLDER BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.
READ BELOW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information for the PC Administrator:

The files securom_v7_01.dat and securom_v7_01.bak have been created during the installation of a SecuROM protected application.
It guarantees more user convenience because the original disc does not have to be in the local drive at all times anymore.
It is necessary for copy protected CDs, demo versions and protected software downloaded from the Internet.
The file contains your licences for all products which are SecuROM protected, therefore it will not be deleted automatically.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILE BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information contained in securom_v7_01.dat will not be transferred to any other computer without your permission.

This security system is connected with a MS Windows Service called "SecuROM User Access Service".
This module is started automatically when launching a protected application if the user is logged in with Windows administrator rights.
In case users do not have administrator rights we recommend to keep it running.

See www.securom.com for further information

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following text is reproduced here to comply with OpenSSL license terms:

  ====================================================================
  Copyright © 1998-2005 The OpenSSL Project.  All rights reserved.

  Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
  are met:

  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
     the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
     distribution.

  3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
     software must display the following acknowledgment:
     "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
     for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"

  4. The names "OpenSSL Toolkit" and "OpenSSL Project" must not be used to
     endorse or promote products derived from this software without
     prior written permission. For written permission, please contact
     openssl-core@openssl.org.

  5. Products derived from this software may not be called "OpenSSL"
     nor may "OpenSSL" appear in their names without prior written
     permission of the OpenSSL Project.

  6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
     acknowledgment:
     "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
     for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org/)"

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE OpenSSL PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY
  EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
  PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE OpenSSL PROJECT OR
  ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
  SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
  NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
  LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
  HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
  STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
  ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
  OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
  ====================================================================

  This product includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young
  (eay@cryptsoft.com).  This product includes software written by Tim
  Hudson (tjh@cryptsoft.com).
  ====================================================================


So there you have it.

#33 Jan

Jan

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on August 20th 2008, 11:19 PM, said:

You can't be serious! How are you measuring this performance? Can you give me something to go on? (The UB of KotOR runs really smooth for me on a gimpy Core Duo iMac 1.83GHz with the Radeon X1600, which is a lesser machine than yours.)

I knew this was coming, the master himself is going to kick my unworthy Wannabe-Jedi-butt. :-)

OK, I have to admit: I didn't play far into the game on my new iMac just an hour or so. But the performance, especially on the Endar Spire, was far from perfect. I got slow downs and occasional lag particulary during combat. Don't know why, I was wondering myself, because the system should be more than capable of running the game in its full glory. Maybe my system is messed up or it's Apple's crappy drivers.

Should I turn off FSAA?!? If it helps, I patched the German retail version of KotOR with the UB beta patch (1.03 Rev D).

Sorry, Brad, I didn't intend to offend you I really appreciate your huge efforts to give us an UB of KotOR. I was just irritated: KotOR is one of my favourite games ever and I was surprised to experience performance problems on my brand new machine.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#34 Jan

Jan

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on August 20th 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

Does it employ SecuROM at all? I won't knowingly buy a title or support developers who resort to even more heavy-handed DRM schemes. http://www.insidemac.......c=34586&hl=

I'm not sure if it employs SecuROM, but Transgaming's customer support gave me the information that you should be able to enter the serial and activate JE:SE on up to 3 Macs. :mellow:
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#35 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

Is there any kind of .pdf or manual that comes with the digital download? I haven't found one yet! I at least like to print off the page that has the keyboard commands...

#36 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Any other Browncoats pick up on who voices Gao the Lesser?

#37 Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

[quote name='Rev-O' date='August 20th 2008, 03:38 PM' post='356047']
Yah, Cider is far from perfect. I feel that JE:SE + Cider running on OSX > no JE:SE on OS X at all, so I guess I'll take it (provided it plays all the way through). Better than Bootcamp for me: I can leave JE:SE up and running in windowed mode paused while I do internet and email.

How do you put it in windowed mode?

Thanks

#38 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

    Minion Tormentor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

View PostRev-O, on August 20th 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILE BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.

Good heavens, we wouldn't want to do that!  If essential digital rights were loosed upon the world, people might start getting uppity.  That's much worse than losing digital rights.

--Eric

#39 Rev-O

Rev-O

    BANNED

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

View PostTracer Bullet, on August 20th 2008, 04:57 PM, said:

How do you put it in windowed mode?

Thanks

⌘Return toggles between full screen and windowed.
Btw, I dropped the resolution down to 1280x800. I had one multiple opponent fight that started lagging on me fairly painfully.

#40 charmin

charmin

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:02 AM

View PostEric5h5, on August 21st 2008, 12:17 AM, said:

Good heavens, we wouldn't want to do that!  If essential digital rights were loosed upon the world, people might start getting uppity.  That's much worse than losing digital rights.

--Eric

I can't believe it took all the way until this post for someone to pick up on that. I was warming up my flamethrower and everything.

There's something strangely oxymoronic about "Digital Rights".
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.