Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:54 AM

Transgaming released Bioware's Action-RPG via its download service GameTree Online.
Even though it's ciderised, I think I'm going to get it. But they should lower the price to
something like 25 or 30$ - 40$ seems pretty expensive for an older Xbox port.

http://www.gametreeo...mp;bestseller=Y

Now bring on KOTOR II! :D
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#2 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:28 AM

I think they should release an official version of KOTOR 2 for mac-- with the restoration projected grafted onto it.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#3 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:56 AM

Sure, I'll buy it. I was just thinking that (what with the impending release of Pirates!) it would be nice to see Jade Empire show up. And Viola! Here it is! Now I must ponder what game to next turn my considerable mental powers too...

#4 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:33 AM

View PostRev-O, on August 18th 2008, 12:56 PM, said:

Sure, I'll buy it. I was just thinking that (what with the impending release of Pirates!) it would be nice to see Jade Empire show up. And Viola! Here it is! Now I must ponder what game to next turn my considerable mental powers too...

I'm in the same boat. My "To-Play-List" just got another bullet point:

– Fable
– Pirates!
– Jade Empire

I'm just glad I don't run Windows as well. My girlfriend would have a cat fight with the iMac then. :lol:

macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#5 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

Oh this is very cool. That game was freaky, in a good way :D
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#6 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Hmm, I've just ordered the game, but the download link ISN'T working. Maybe it's just too early across the big pond.  :glare:

macOS Sierra

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

View PostRev-O, on August 18th 2008, 12:56 PM, said:

And Viola!
What has a string instrument to do with this? ;)

However: even though this game is interesting, I won't get it. No Cider for me anymore, thank you.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

View PostJanichsan, on August 18th 2008, 05:36 PM, said:

What has a string instrument to do with this? ;)

However: even is this game is interesting, I won't get it. No Cider for me anymore, thank you.

I guess Heroes V and Spore Creature Creator were quite good "ports", at least I didn't experience
major bugs.

Some of them seem to play better than traditional ports, as long as we discuss those by RuneSoft (e. g. Ankh and
Cold Ware were really poor) and even some Aspyr ones (C&C, anyone?).

For older or not so demanding games, IMHO Cider seems to be a proper solution.

macOS Sierra

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

C&C? you mean generals? I thought that was a pretty solid port. Performance wasnt spectacular on the lower end, but it was still playable. As for the lack of cross PPC-x86 multiplayer, it was a half-solution to a problem which Apple themselves created for everyone and generally (ha!) performance could be ok under rosetta if you need to play v PPC.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

I saw JESE PC retail for less than 10 bucks about a month ago. But do spend $40 if you want...

#11 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

View Postteflon, on August 18th 2008, 06:29 PM, said:

C&C? you mean generals? I thought that was a pretty solid port. Performance wasnt spectacular on the lower end, but it was still playable. As for the lack of cross PPC-x86 multiplayer, it was a half-solution to a problem which Apple themselves created for everyone and generally (ha!) performance could be ok under rosetta if you need to play v PPC.

At least on my G5 the performance of Generals was not "great". And that Dual 2 GHz was a beast back in the day. But I agree: It was still a solid port and the good folks at Aspyr are not responsible for crappy Open GL implementation or switches of the processor architecture.

Anyway, I think it's unfair to generally misjudge all of Transgaming's efforts as being "slow", "crap" and "bad" to the Mac gaming market. They're not.
I'm glad someone is bringing a jewel like Jade Empire to OS X, even if it's just a cider-port. It's an older Xbox game, it will most likely run quite well –
without rebooting. That's great and I hope they will bring more "classics" to the Mac, just like Feral with the "Legends" label.

If someone delivers a good product at a decent price, count me in. Be it Feral or Transgaming. I welcome every addition to our niche market.

macOS Sierra

#12 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

View PostdevSin, on August 18th 2008, 07:57 PM, said:

I saw JESE PC retail for less than 10 bucks about a month ago. But do spend $40 if you want...

Where I live, 40$ are roughly 26 Euros. The boxed Jade Empire for the PC costs between EUR 10,00 - 30,00
at amazon, so 40$ are still a half-decent price for a "new" Mac game over here. Yeah, it's a price premium, but Mac games
have always been slightly more expensive. Different economies-of-scale.

macOS Sierra

#13 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

In the UK, Amazon sell JESE for £9, and 40USD = £20, so it's a little over twice as much for the Mac version.

I'm not in the best position to replay this game right now, but hopefully by the time I do I'll have found out that the Mac port is quick and stable :)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

View PostJan, on August 18th 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

Where I live, 40$ are roughly 26 Euros. The boxed Jade Empire for the PC costs between EUR 10,00 - 30,00
at amazon, so 40$ are still a half-decent price for a "new" Mac game over here. Yeah, it's a price premium, but Mac games
have always been slightly more expensive. Different economies-of-scale.
Jade Empire for PC is on sale for 10€ in every games store here in Germany. $40 might be okay for a real port, but for a Cider "port"? No, way.

View PostJan, on August 18th 2008, 08:02 PM, said:

Anyway, I think it's unfair to generally misjudge all of Transgaming's efforts as being "slow", "crap" and "bad" to the Mac gaming market. They're not.
Sorry, but I haven't seen one Cider "port" yet that does not actually suck. HoMM V was bearable, but probably only because Freeverse went to quite some extent to adapt the actual Windows code of the game. The Spore Creature Builder runs decent so far, but we'll should wait for the full game before praising anything here. Apart from that – BF2142, C&C 3, NfS Carbon, even the relatively simple Puzzle Quest: all Cider "ports" I have seen so far are plagued by crippled graphics (to a larger extent than actually native ports), awful performance and horrid stability.

So excuse when I'm not thrilled.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

I've had almost no issues with Madden '08 after dozens of hours of playtime. I've also had decent experiences with Uru, NFS: Carbon, Gametap, and the Spore Creature Creator. I guess I've been lucky.

That said, I have no problem buying Ciderized games, especially since I don't use Bootcamp. Jade Empire being released for Mac OSX is a rather surprising turn of events so I'll probably eventually get it, although I'm not certain its emphasis on action is my kind of thing. But anything from Bioware gets my attention.

But I have to agree that $40 is a bit steep. Should be $30 at most.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#16 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

View PostTacohead, on August 18th 2008, 02:05 PM, said:

I've had almost no issues with Madden '08 after dozens of hours of playtime. I've also had decent experiences with Uru, NFS: Carbon, Gametap, and the Spore Creature Creator. I guess I've been lucky.

That said, I have no problem buying Ciderized games, especially since I don't use Bootcamp. Jade Empire being released for Mac OSX is a rather surprising turn of events so I'll probably eventually get it, although I'm not certain its emphasis on action is my kind of thing. But anything from Bioware gets my attention.

But I have to agree that $40 is a bit steep. Should be $30 at most.

-PN

We should probably start a petition to get tBC to use his awesome powers and create a tear in the time/space continuum linking us to a parallel universe where JE:SE was priced at $29.95. Then we could compare sales levels between our reality and the other reality and know, in the future, where price points should be set to maximize profits! ;)

#17 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on August 18th 2008, 09:30 PM, said:

Jade Empire for PC is on sale for 10€ in every games store here in Germany. $40 might be okay for a real port, but for a Cider "port"? No, way.
Sorry, but I haven't seen one Cider "port" yet that does not actually suck. HoMM V was bearable, but probably only because Freeverse went to quite some extent to adapt the actual Windows code of the game. The Spore Creature Builder runs decent so far, but we'll should wait for the full game before praising anything here. Apart from that – BF2142, C&C 3, NfS Carbon, even the relatively simple Puzzle Quest: all Cider "ports" I have seen so far are plagued by crippled graphics (to a larger extent than actually native ports), awful performance and horrid stability.

I don't have any first-hand experience with BF2142, C&C 3, or NfS Carbon. But both Spore CC and Heroes V are quite good and haven't crashed on me so far (granted, I haven't played HoMM V too intensive recently). Jade Empire runs very well so far: I changed to my iMac's native resolution of 1.680 x 1.050, cranked up effects and details, and activated 2 x FSAA. It's been smooth and stable during my first hour of gameplay, but there are no big fights with a lot of objects on the screen at the beginning anyway. So I'll reserve judgement until a few more hours into the game.

Of course, I could have picked up some "software pyramid" JE for 10€. But put Windows on my Macs just for a few more games? No way. And I'm not sure it will run as good with Crossover Games. I owned two Cider games before, and both were quite good. So I gave it a try - even though it was slightly more expensive - and in this case, Transgaming seems to deliver a reasonable experience.

macOS Sierra

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

View PostRev-O, on August 18th 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

We should probably start a petition to get tBC to use his awesome powers and create a tear in the time/space continuum linking us to a parallel universe where JE:SE was priced at $29.95. Then we could compare sales levels between our reality and the other reality and know, in the future, where price points should be set to maximize profits! ;)
Petitions go straight into the toilet, besides I already did create a tear in the time/space continuum linking you to a parallel universe where JE:SE was priced at $29.95.  Are you suggesting that your Evil Twin took that ride?  Do you have a black goatee, a sash around your waist, and an agonizer?  Cause that's who went through.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on August 18th 2008, 06:52 PM, said:

Are you suggesting that your Evil Twin took that ride?  Do you have a black goatee, a sash around your waist, and an agonizer?  Cause that's who went through.

Yes I do have a black goatee, a jaunty sash around my waist and an agonizer, as does my evil twin! The easiest way to tell us apart is my evil twin wears pants. I, on the other hand, just enjoy the jaunty sash with nary anything else!

#20 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:52 AM

View PostJanichsan, on August 18th 2008, 02:30 PM, said:

I haven't had any major issues with with C&C3 since the first initial patch, well aside from not seeing Kane' Wrath.  The only real issue's I've had were due to performance and quite frankly not any worse than similar ports from Macsoft, Farel, or Aspyr.  The largest problems are the conversion from DX to OGL and Apple never really taking time to go in and optimize OpenGL.  To them, its little more than something for a little GUI eye candy.