#101 Jude

Jude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

View PostUniversalWolf, on November 14th 2008, 06:56 PM, said:

I also liked Diablo and Diablo 2, but you should be aware that they're on the extreme fringe of "Role-Playing Games."  Some of the elements of RPGs are there, but many are absent.

If you're interested in trying something more mainstream in the genre, download a demo of Avernum or Geneforge from Spiderweb, or Eschalon from Basilisk Games.  Those are indie games, but more traditional RPGs.

The reason I'm writing this is that if Diablo is your only experience with RPGs, you have a distorted view of what RPGs really are.

Nethergate is also a very good RPG from Spiderweb Software.
Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com

#102 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:10 AM

View Postjackdawsson, on November 14th 2008, 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks for the extra tips, which I'm sure will be very useful at this early stage. - I don't have the "Lords of Destruction" expansion yet, but I imagine that it'll be a definite buy soon enough... probably within the next couple of weeks or so.

I gotta tell you, you really should just stop playing until you get it. It's not just more story tacked onto the end, it's an enormous improvement to the whole game. Just one example: You can switch between two weapon setups for your character (like between a two-handed polearm weapon for heavy damage and a sword and shield for defense, to name one of many possible setups).

What Teflon and co. are saying about D2 not really being a role-playing game is totally true. It's a super dumbed-down and streamlined version of games like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. The disadvantage? Lack of in-depth character-design options and branching storylines. The advantage? I like the stripped down nature and non-stop action. My biggest problem with the D&D based RPGs and their ilk is that trying to figure out their menu systems and keyboard commands is harder than the original paper D&D. But that's just my particular temperament. You might enjoy both types.

#103 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on November 15th 2008, 07:10 AM, said:

What Teflon and co. are saying about D2 not really being a role-playing game is totally true. It's a super dumbed-down and streamlined version of games like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. The disadvantage? Lack of in-depth character-design options and branching storylines. The advantage? I like the stripped down nature and non-stop action. My biggest problem with the D&D based RPGs and their ilk is that trying to figure out their menu systems and keyboard commands is harder than the original paper D&D. But that's just my particular temperament. You might enjoy both types.

Yeah, that's very much the impression I'm getting.  That said, I don't mind occasionally playing something with more action, less puzzle-solving, in this type of game.  But I also like games that are a lot more "in-depth", not necessarily RPGs but mostly strategy games, hence, for eg., I hope to be picking up "Europa Universalis II" for Mac shortly.  But I'll also be taking your advice about getting "D2's" expansion pack very soon.  Cheers!

#104 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

View PostUniversalWolf, on November 14th 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

I also liked Diablo and Diablo 2, but you should be aware that they're on the extreme fringe of "Role-Playing Games."  Some of the elements of RPGs are there, but many are absent.

If you're interested in trying something more mainstream in the genre, download a demo of Avernum or Geneforge from Spiderweb, or Eschalon from Basilisk Games.  Those are indie games, but more traditional RPGs.

The reason I'm writing this is that if Diablo is your only experience with RPGs, you have a distorted view of what RPGs really are.

Thanks UW - Diablo was the closest thing I'd played to an rpg at the time I discovered it. I've since enjoyed Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, which indeed are quite a bit deeper than Diablo. I think I was lucky to have enjoyed Diablo before getting into those type of games.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#105 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

View PostJude, on November 14th 2008, 08:37 PM, said:

Nethergate is also a very good RPG from Spiderweb Software.
Jude
Nethergate - Resurrection is an awesome game, I played it through 3 times in a row.  A classic turn based RPG that not only lets you play different classes as you'd expect, but you can also play as the side you were fighting the first time through the game for a throughly fresh take on the same story.  Good stuff, heavy on story, light on graphics.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#106 ladyjaye

ladyjaye

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

View PostTibur, on November 5th 2008, 01:10 PM, said:

Though I think you are correct in your assumption with respect to ladyjaye, just because someone indicates that they have a "boyfriend" does not necessarily mean that they are female.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)

Sorry for the delay in replying, things have been hectic around here for the past couple of weeks...

Well, I am actually a girl. As anyone who's familiar with the Digital Press gaming community would know...

#107 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

Oh yeah.  And I've seen pick-chas!  Eat your heart out mens.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#108 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

View Postladyjaye, on November 19th 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

Well, I am actually a girl. As anyone who's familiar with the Digital Press gaming community would know...

Claims that are CLEARLY untrue and a link to another site. Obvious spambot.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.