Jump to content


macnwn2x - GUI Application to install PC MotB on Mac NWN2


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 smurfk1

smurfk1

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

FYI...

I struggled for a couple of days trying to get this to work and ended up downloading a disk image from BitTorrent. That, along with my legit serial number, worked like a charm! Installed MoB (which I played through on the Mac) and got everything updated.

Opened the game both in BootCamp and Fusion, but haven't played a game yet.

Does anybody have any feedback how NWN2 performs in Fusion or Parallels? Just curious if it's even worth my while, or if rebooting makes more sense.

Thanks again!

#22 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

I also played MoTB under OSX and worked like a charm, so sad that I won't be able to do the same for Zephir.
Why they had to change the exe just for this mod?
That is killing me, now every user module won't work on Mac and with the bad rumors floating around Aspyr I doubt we ever get the update. I hate Zephir for that!  :lol:

#23 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

View PostGliniolu, on December 26th 2008, 01:11 AM, said:

I also played MoTB under OSX and worked like a charm, so sad that I won't be able to do the same for Zephir.
Why they had to change the exe just for this mod?
That is killing me, now every user module won't work on Mac and with the bad rumors floating around Aspyr I doubt we ever get the update. I hate Zephir for that!  :lol:

Dunno if you saw the other thread, but we're working on a patch for NWN2 to bring it up-to-date.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#24 msykes

msykes

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

View Postsmurfk1, on December 25th 2008, 10:11 AM, said:

Opened the game both in BootCamp and Fusion, but haven't played a game yet.

Does anybody have any feedback how NWN2 performs in Fusion or Parallels? Just curious if it's even worth my while, or if rebooting makes more sense.

Thanks again!

I installed the game (NWN2 + MotB + SoZ) under the latest VMWare Fusion a couple weeks ago.  It was playable, but painful.  Switching from VMWare to any of my apps took ages (memory paging issues), and I essentially had to quit all my mac apps just to get things to run okay.  

This is on a MacBook Pro 2 GHz / 2 GB of RAM.  My suspicion is that things would have run a LOT better if I'd had more RAM, ie 4 GB or so.  I bet it would run acceptably using a Mac Pro with a lot of RAM.  But for my machine, it was much more satisfying just to use Boot Camp.

msykes

#25 smurfk1

smurfk1

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hey Brad...

I'm glad to hear that Aspyr is considering another NWN2 patch. I wrote you guys at the beginning of December and at that time I received the response that "there are no further patches for NWN2 for the Mac planned." Can you point us to the thread you're talking about and/or give us a best-guess ETA?

Thanks1

#26 devSin

devSin

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

View Postsmurfk1, on December 26th 2008, 11:36 AM, said:

I'm glad to hear that Aspyr is considering another NWN2 patch. I wrote you guys at the beginning of December and at that time I received the response that "there are no further patches for NWN2 for the Mac planned." Can you point us to the thread you're talking about and/or give us a best-guess ETA?
Well, duh. It's in the beta Diablo II thread. Right where you'd expect it to be, no? ;-)

In short, whenever they can get all the code for the update is when they can start working on it (it sounds like they finally got what they needed). Seeing as how 1.22 is already in beta, my guess would be that you'd see Mac 1.21 first (lagging behind whatever the PC version is on release) or have to wait a couple months for Obsidian to finish 1.22 and then finally pass along the code to Aspyr (if they decided to wait; but the game is basically in perpetual beta, so I'm not sure Aspyr would hold off for 1.22 final == 1.23 beta).

#27 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

View PostdevSin, on December 26th 2008, 07:01 PM, said:

In short, whenever they can get all the code for the update is when they can start working on it (it sounds like they finally got what they needed). Seeing as how 1.22 is already in beta, my guess would be that you'd see Mac 1.21 first (lagging behind whatever the PC version is on release) or have to wait a couple months for Obsidian to finish 1.22 and then finally pass along the code to Aspyr (if they decided to wait; but the game is basically in perpetual beta, so I'm not sure Aspyr would hold off for 1.22 final == 1.23 beta).

Yeah, you've pretty much nailed the highs and lows.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#28 smurfk1

smurfk1

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

Nice!

Well, since I've already invested all of eight dollars in a used PC version of NWN2 and it'll take msykes all of a day to update his SoZ install instructions ;) I figure I might as well get started on the PC side whenever I actually run out and pick up the new expansion. Of course, by the time I get of my @$$ and buy SoZ, Asypr may be done with the patch and this portion of the thread will be mute!

Thanks again for the feedback and direction to the Diablo thread!

#29 Sargiel

Sargiel

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Location:West Sussex, England

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:57 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on December 26th 2008, 03:32 PM, said:

Dunno if you saw the other thread, but we're working on a patch for NWN2 to bring it up-to-date.

Thanks for the update Brad - look forward to the patch :)

Is there any chance of us getting the expansions brought across to the Mac ? I'd much rather wait and give money to a Mac developer than the buy & install the PC version on Mac NWN2 route.

#30 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

View PostSargiel, on December 28th 2008, 03:57 AM, said:

Is there any chance of us getting the expansions brought across to the Mac ? I'd much rather wait and give money to a Mac developer than the buy & install the PC version on Mac NWN2 route.

As a developer I'm out of my league commenting on stuff like that, sorry!
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#31 msykes

msykes

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on December 29th 2008, 06:19 AM, said:

As a developer I'm out of my league commenting on stuff like that, sorry!

At least let me assure you that getting the expansions to work on the Mac (at least MotB) is really easy... you guys want to look at the macnwn2x source code? :-)

msykes

#32 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on December 26th 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

Dunno if you saw the other thread, but we're working on a patch for NWN2 to bring it up-to-date.
No I didn't saw, thanks a lot you do so.
Please don't forget continue make international patch. NWN series is from far the best localization organization I ever seen in a game, on an architecture and design point of view. So I hope continue have international patch won't be a problem.

#33 DiGriz

DiGriz

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Location:in a chair

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

That's good to know, I hope the patch addresses the performance with the newer iMacs with the NVIDIA 8800GS graphics card

#34 Doc Savage

Doc Savage

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

Looks like NWN2 has finally been updated to 1.23.  The update is available  here

According to the fix page:

This is an unofficial BETA update for Neverwinter Nights 2. This patch will update any previous version of NWN2 to version 1.23.1765. This patch also remedies problems caused by upgrading to 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Version 1.22.1588:
-Parity with the PC 1.22.1588 patch

Version 1.12.1295:

-Experience gains of zero will no longer show up in the chat log.
-Natural AC is now being properly applied to creatures.
-Use Magic Device checks, when casting from scrolls, will no longer override caster classes.
-Players will no longer see the fountain of question marks effect in the case of a missing visual effect.
-Fixed an issue where companions were replaced by familiars/animal companions during transitions.
-Fixed an issue where losing points in Use Magic Device can cause items to be unequipped and replace other items in inventory, causing the replaced items to be destroyed.

Version 1.11.1153:
-Fixes reversed audio issue.
-Fixes issue with delay in key input during dialog choices in cut scenes.

Now, who knows how to install Storms of Zehir?

#35 Hansi

Hansi

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

View PostDoc Savage, on October 30th 2009, 11:02 PM, said:

Now, who knows how to install Storms of Zehir?

Buy PC version, run under MacOS with this

#36 Tesseract

Tesseract

    Unmanageable Megaweight

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

The link in the OP seems to be dead. Is macnwn2x still available anywhere?