Does anyone have Tropico: Mucho Macho edition?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Xandros

Xandros

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

This game seems to have become very elusive. I've found one on eBay and a couple on Amazon Marketplace but they needn't think they're ripping my wallet a new one since there's no way I'm forking out $60 bucks for something that old, it is just unacceptable...

Was a bit of a bastard how Paradise Island was never apparently released as a standalone pack for the original Tropico. That is the reason why I never got it when Mucho Macho was released; I already have the original Tropico, I wasn't about to buy it again. :blink:

I did wonder though if anyone even has this game still? Did it come with two discs or was it all on one disc? I think it was two discs (presumably disc 1 was Tropico, disc 2 was Paradise Island). I don't know for sure... That's why I'm asking I guess. :lol: I just want it. I'd ask if anyone has still got if they'd be willing to send me disc 2 or some such over teh internets but I don't suppose I'm allowed.

Or even if anyone knows if the paradise island PC version would work on the mac version. I mean, I know the installer won't but if the data files are the same on both platforms I could get the pc version and sort of do a manual patch of my tropico install. I doubt it would work...

#2 Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Have you tried Tropico 2? I think it's more fun than the first. You could probably get it cheaper than $60.

#3 Xandros

Xandros

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

I have, yes. Though I didn't really like it anything like as much as the original for some reason.

#4 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

I have it, and yes it's a two disc program. No idea about windows paradise island compatibility though.

#5 Xandros

Xandros

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

Cool, thought as much that it had 2 discs, disc 1 must be the original game and disc 2 is the expansions presumably. Mind if I ask where you got the game? Or if you know of where I can get it still without paying a king's ransom for it?

All I want is disc 2 really but I guess I'm going to end up buying the whole thing so then I'll have two copies of the main game... Suppose I can always sell one.

#6 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

View PostXandros, on August 10th 2008, 01:14 PM, said:

Cool, thought as much that it had 2 discs, disc 1 must be the original game and disc 2 is the expansions presumably. Mind if I ask where you got the game? Or if you know of where I can get it still without paying a king's ransom for it?

All I want is disc 2 really but I guess I'm going to end up buying the whole thing so then I'll have two copies of the main game... Suppose I can always sell one.
I think it installs both Tropico and Paradise Island, the second disc is just extra room for data.

Unfortunately, I bought Mucho Macho when it first came out for Mac, so no I don't know where you could find a copy for a decent price.

#7 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

Tropico Mucho Macho was a separate release I think do to the interesting versions and licensing of the original Tropico.

MacSoft (I think) sold the game in the USA and North America and Feral sold the game for the rest of the world. Also the Feral version was a few builds later than the Mac Soft version. When it came to the expansion the deal was I think worldwide for the bundled edition so the support for the title was less confusing.

Max Payne is another example as this split deal with MacSoft in North America and Feral for the rest of the world. As it was crazy confusing for everyone concerned I think most deals are worldwide now. :)

I know this will not help you get a copy but at least it might explain why no stand alone expansion pack.

Edwin

#8 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

I have it and it is indeed by Macsoft. Atleast here in Canada. I got this back alooong time ago when I still had my Powerbook G4. Oh those were the days! lol
It's on 2 cd's: install and play. Real original eh?
On the cover it says it includes Tropico, Paradise Island Expansion, 12 new scenarios and the official  strategy guide.
I think I only paid about $20 for this back in the day.
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#9 Xandros

Xandros

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

You were lucky you had the foresight to buy it when it was still in production. I just paid $60 for it plus $15 shipping. Yep, I gave up, and bit the bullet and forked out the extortionate price someone wanted for it on eBay. I looked high and low... If there were any places I came across that were selling it cheaper they were either on closer inspection sold out or they were in the US and didn't ship internationally.

At current exchange rates $75 is around 40 which is... Not good. But I'll just have to live with it.

#10 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

View PostXandros, on August 17th 2008, 06:36 AM, said:

You were lucky you had the foresight to buy it when it was still in production. I just paid $60 for it plus $15 shipping. Yep, I gave up, and bit the bullet and forked out the extortionate price someone wanted for it on eBay. I looked high and low... If there were any places I came across that were selling it cheaper they were either on closer inspection sold out or they were in the US and didn't ship internationally.

At current exchange rates $75 is around 40 which is... Not good. But I'll just have to live with it.

Well it's a great game and expansion nonetheless. Probably one of my all time favorite games.

#11 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

This was a great game. A lighthearted game with a robust economic model and a fantastic soundtrack.  I think if a Tropico 3 is made, it should go back to the 'banana republic' style game over the pirate theme.  Tropico 2 was fun, but it didn't capture my interest like the first one did.

#12 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on August 17th 2008, 03:55 PM, said:

This was a great game. A lighthearted game with a robust economic model and a fantastic soundtrack.  I think if a Tropico 3 is made, it should go back to the 'banana republic' style game over the pirate theme.  Tropico 2 was fun, but it didn't capture my interest like the first one did.
Definitely. Tropico 2 can be amusing for a little while, but there's really only one efficient way of playing. In Tropico 1 I've had fun playing as a caring democratically-elected president, a corrupt election-rigger, and an all out totalitarian fascist. In Tropico 2, all you can do is have anarchy for pirates, and order for captives. There's no way to say, rule your pirates with an iron fist, or win the captives' trust.

Unfortunately, I think that the developer of Tropico went of business, so the chances of a sequel are slim to none.

#13 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

View PostXandros, on August 17th 2008, 06:36 AM, said:

Actually even when I got it, it had been around for about a year or so.
It's a fun little game though.
Catchy soundtrack.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

1GB RAM. 60GB HD

#14 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

I've also spent endless hours on this game. Too bad the developer is gone -- an all-too-common fate these days, seems like!
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#15 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

Did no one pick up the Tropico IP?  If the original develop is gone, I'm sure it could be had for a bargain.

#16 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on August 23rd 2008, 03:22 PM, said:

Did no one pick up the Tropico IP?  If the original develop is gone, I'm sure it could be had for a bargain.
Checking Wikipedia it looks like Firaxis owns it now. So maybe there is a chance.

Edit: Oh, and by the way. If you like Tropico, you should check out Hidden Agenda. It's an old DOS game which doesn't share much in the way of gameplay with Tropico, but has the same banana republic theme.

#17 Xandros

Xandros

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

Well I've got it now so that ends this story. Installed and played it for some hours today, the new stuff in it certainly gives it a fresh appeal to me even after all these years of playing the original.

What I forgot about the original though was the fact it doesn't support my laptops native screen resolution, which is pretty much a given considering how old the game is. 1440x960 is a bit too new age for it. It does support 1280x1024, and 1600x1200... No good to me of course.

It works alright in 1024x768, even though it stretches the display rather than boxing it with black bars either side (I prefer it stretched tbh). And I can run it windowed alright too I suppose if I don't mind the small window - though if I crank the res in-game up to the lower of the two higher resolutions it does obviously make the window in windowed mode much bigger and easier on the eye. But it cuts the fecking bottom off the window due to it being longer than than the native display (1024 in height means I lose the 64 pixels off the bottom - the top, i could live with that, but since OS X won't let you move windows beyond the menu bar that means its gotta be the bottom and Tropico's poxy interface is... Along the bottom of the screen).

#18 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

View PostXandros, on August 26th 2008, 12:58 PM, said:

Well I've got it now so that ends this story. Installed and played it for some hours today, the new stuff in it certainly gives it a fresh appeal to me even after all these years of playing the original.

What I forgot about the original though was the fact it doesn't support my laptops native screen resolution, which is pretty much a given considering how old the game is. 1440x960 is a bit too new age for it. It does support 1280x1024, and 1600x1200... No good to me of course.

It works alright in 1024x768, even though it stretches the display rather than boxing it with black bars either side (I prefer it stretched tbh). And I can run it windowed alright too I suppose if I don't mind the small window - though if I crank the res in-game up to the lower of the two higher resolutions it does obviously make the window in windowed mode much bigger and easier on the eye. But it cuts the fecking bottom off the window due to it being longer than than the native display (1024 in height means I lose the 64 pixels off the bottom - the top, i could live with that, but since OS X won't let you move windows beyond the menu bar that means its gotta be the bottom and Tropico's poxy interface is... Along the bottom of the screen).
I've never even gotten an option to change the resolution I don't recall...

1GB RAM. 60GB HD

#19 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

I lost in a recent Ebay fracas over a copy of this game (to you, Xandros?), so I'm still jonesing. Maybe I should just pick up the Windows version and have one more game to reboot for...sigh.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#20 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:31 AM

View PostRubel, on August 28th 2008, 03:39 AM, said:

I lost in a recent Ebay fracas over a copy of this game (to you, Xandros?), so I'm still jonesing. Maybe I should just pick up the Windows version and have one more game to reboot for...sigh.

How much did it go for Rubel?  I may put my version up for sale.  ;)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh