96 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Feral Interactive has today announced Friday, August 29th as the release date for the Mac version of Sid Meier’s Pirates!, the best-selling adventure game developed by 2K Games’ successful game studio Firaxis Games.

Based on Sid Meier’s masterpiece, Sid Meier’s Pirates! invites players to live the life of a 17th century Caribbean pirate captain in an epic, open-ended seafaring adventure. Face down dogged enemies, duel enemy captains, woo fair maidens and raise the Jolly Roger high above the seven seas in pursuit of glory and riches.

"Feral Interactive is thrilled to release Sid Meier’s Pirates!,” said Feral Interactive’s David Stephen. “Its universal appeal and wonderful gameplay makes it the perfect launch title for the Feral Legends series.”

Feral Legends is a new label of Macintosh games being launched under the Feral brand. Legends will be top quality, older titles previously un-released on the Mac. They will run on all Intel Macs including MacBooks and be sold at mid-price.
Minimum System Requirements:

• 1.2GHz PowerPC or Intel Mac
• 512MB RAM
• 64MB graphics card
• Mac OS X v10.4 or later
• The game runs on all Intel-based Macs including MacBooks
The game will retail in North America for US $29.95, £19.95 (inc VAT) in the UK and €24.95 (inc VAT) throughout Europe. It is currently available to pre-order from Feral's online store.

More details and selected trailers of the game are now available at the site below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

Huh. Very late, but seeing as the price point reflects that I might buy it despite already having the Windows version. Especially if they make it easier to not use the numpad.

Edit: I see now about this Legends line Feral is doing. Sounds like a good plan.

#3 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

Thanks be to G they're not going to try and charge us $50 for a game this old.  After all this time, I think $20 might be more fair, but it's such a great game that I'm going to buy it the day it's released.  A fact that they're no doubt counting on.

Now how about giving us Morrowind.  I'd still buy it, so long as all the mods work.  Or even easier, how about Galactic Civilizations 2?

Hey, I can dream.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#4 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Ergh, stay away from bethesda. I'd rather they'd do the JoWood games. Isn't the witcher jowood too? Because the Anno series defenitely is.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

Wow, didn't think we'd see this one. And a nice month for PPC gamers--AOE III: Asian Dynasties and now this!

#6 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

I can buy this at my local Bestbuy's bargain software rack for $10. I second that they should port Morrowind, albeit with updated graphics, and Quantacat what's wrong with Bethesda?

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

View PostmR.sELvETaRM, on July 31st 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

I can buy this at my local Bestbuy's bargain software rack for $10.

Not for the Mac, you can't.

I second that they should port Morrowind

Can't you buy that at your local Bestbuy's bargain software rack for $10?

--Eric

#8 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 31st 2008, 05:11 PM, said:

Not for the Mac, you can't.
Can't you buy that at your local Bestbuy's bargain software rack for $10?

--Eric

Well played.
Edward

#9 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

View PostEric5h5, on July 31st 2008, 05:11 PM, said:

(1) Not for the Mac, you can't.

(2) Can't you buy that at your local Bestbuy's bargain software rack for $10?

--Eric

1. I was just stating how much we were getting ripped off and how a 4 year old game is just kind of pathetic for being ported and then charged $30 for.

2. It's $20. :)

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#10 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

View Postclocknova, on July 31st 2008, 09:06 PM, said:

After all this time, I think $20 might be more fair

yup, its true, people still dont quite grasp how much money the porting houses have to fork over to the original devs. Its not just a lump sum, but also a cut of every copy sold. (Though in this case, seeing as its an old game, they might have forfeited some of the royalties in exchange for just having some more money.) then the cost of porting the game itself...

oh, and given the state of your economy, I wouldnt expect to see that price point any time soon. Thatd be literally half the UK price... These people still need to afford food!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

View PostmR.sELvETaRM, on July 31st 2008, 05:50 PM, said:

1. I was just stating how much we were getting ripped off and how a 4 year old game is just kind of pathetic for being ported and then charged $30 for.

I was pointing out the irony where you bring up this argument for the 1,000,000th time, and then turn around and ask for another game where the exact same argument would apply....  Anyway, I don't agree that it's pathetic at all.  It's been a much-requested game on the Mac, and is a classic type of game where being several years old doesn't particularly hurt it, so $30 isn't unreasonable especially given the economics involved.

--Eric

#12 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

View Postclocknova, on July 31st 2008, 02:06 PM, said:

Thanks be to G they're not going to try and charge us $50 for a game this old.  After all this time, I think $20 might be more fair, but it's such a great game that I'm going to buy it the day it's released.  A fact that they're no doubt counting on.
Agreed on point #1: I'll buy it as soon as I see on shelves too. Mebbe I'll even pre-order it!

View Postclocknova, on July 31st 2008, 02:06 PM, said:

Now how about giving us Morrowind.  I'd still buy it, so long as all the mods work.
Agreed on point #2: I'd buy Morrowind for the Mac as well. Make sure it has the expansions. Been many years since I obsessively played it. Sure, I'd relish the chance to obsessively play it again!

#13 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

I didn't ask for Morrowind, I just like the game. I don't want it to be ported, it's too old. (no TES game has ever been ported to my knowledge) I know that many people like Pirates! but I just feel that a game this old shouldn't be ported.

#14 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:38 PM

View PostmR.sELvETaRM, on July 31st 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

I didn't ask for Morrowind, I just like the game. I don't want it to be ported, it's too old.

I second that they should port Morrowind
These two statements of yours appear to be in conflict.  :)

I know that many people like Pirates! but I just feel that a game this old shouldn't be ported.

Good thing nobody listens to you!  Just for that, I'm not voting for you for president, either.

--Eric

#15 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

View PostmR.sELvETaRM, on July 31st 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

I didn't ask for Morrowind, I just like the game. I don't want it to be ported, it's too old. (no TES game has ever been ported to my knowledge) I know that many people like Pirates! but I just feel that a game this old shouldn't be ported.

I could give a flip about Pirates! being an old game. It'll be new to me and it's only $25. Win-win.
I love the idea of bringing out some 'old' PC games for the Mac for a bargain price. The old AAA titles can be cherry picked for smaller fees and make there way to the Mac for those of us who don't have/refuse to have a gaming PC or who don't run/ refuse to run Bootcamp. Now I won't pick up every old game that comes out, but I imagine I'll pick up a few of them.

#16 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:17 AM

View PostEric5h5, on August 1st 2008, 03:38 AM, said:

These two statements of yours appear to be in conflict.  :)
Good thing nobody listens to you!  Just for that, I'm not voting for you for president, either.

--Eric

Hehe,your IMG title of "Verbal Windbag" is well deserved. :)
For the record,I completely agree with you.
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#17 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

Okay you're right, I don't want to get into a flame war.

#18 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

It's a great game regardless of the fact it's four years old. It's fun, runs on many machines, and is a very very worthy addition to the catalogue of Mac games.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#19 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

View PostmR.sELvETaRM, on August 1st 2008, 01:13 AM, said:

I know that many people like Pirates! but I just feel that a game this old shouldn't be ported.
I know youve already given in, but can I ask why?
The game is a classic, but also for a fairly niche market really. Thus it was too big a risk for someone to pick it up back in '04, as it could easily have flopped horribly (just the year before, Splinter Cell was ported and shouldve/was expected to be a big hit, but didnt sell). So now Feral have come along with this new Legends brand to pick up a few older games which will run brilliantly on new machines and bring them to the mac.

fairly low price point - check
old and good game - check
easier time porting as it wont need quite as much optimisation - check
lower fee to original dev - check
lower risk upon failure to sell - check
likelihood to sell at lower price point - check
less whinging about poor performance - check
picking the best of the best of the best - check
runs on integrated graphics because of age - check
more games quicker and at lower prices which sell raise profile of gaming on the mac - check!

its wins all round

View PostRev-O, on August 1st 2008, 03:48 AM, said:

I could give a flip about Pirates! being an old game. It'll be new to me and it's only $25. Win-win.

$30,€25,£20
thats the price points (which somehow everyone seems to be getting wrong...)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#20 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

I have two questions.

1) My Mac fulfills the minimum system requirements.  I know it's not even out yet, but can anyone guess as to whether or not it'll run well?  Single 1.25GHz MDD G4, 1GB RAM, 64MB Radeon 9000 Pro.
EDIT: Never mind. While the IMG article states 1.2GHz as a minimum requirement, Feral's site says 1.6GHz. Grrr.

2) Anyone know where I can find gameplay video of the existing versions/ports of this game?
EDIT: never mind.  I see the trailer on Feral's site.