1891 replies to this topic

#1 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

I've spent some time away from my computer of late because we just bought a nice new TV. Its a Sony Bravia X Series 40" and its very nice. But i have questions regarding how i want this thing set up. We have a crappy LG DVD 5.1 Amp combo thing that I'm not willing to do away with. But frankly the DVD's coming from it look like popsnizzlee on this 1080 panel.

So the dillema is that this TV comes with a Free 40g PS3* Via redemption. I don't really want it for gaming. I mean, there arent many games yet that fascinate me, nor are there any i feel like paying 100 bucks for! But the thing has BD right out of the box and i'm sure i could get DVD's looking great through the HDMI. Is it worth keeping the PS3 just for this? or am i better selling the damn thing and waiting to buy a BluRay DVD combo thing later? They cost an arm and a leg at the moment so is the playstation worth more as a BD/DVD player in the long run? or $500 on ebay at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

*Supposedly Sony are trying to get rid of all their 40g PS3's while they can. There are plans to bring out a model much akin to the original 60 Gig version with all the nooks and crannies.

[Thread title has been changed to properly reflect the topic that this thread has morphed into over time. -- Frost, 1/27/10]

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#2 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:24 AM

If you want a BluRay player, hold on to it, if you don't and can sell it at near-retail on EBay, do that. I'd consider using it as a HTPC even if you aren't interested in playing games on it, if you see value in that.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#3 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3662 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

Neither and both, or you could give it to me? ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#4 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on July 27th 2008, 02:49 PM, said:

I've spent some time away from my computer of late because we just bought a nice new TV. Its a Sony Bravia X Series 40" and its very nice. But i have questions regarding how i want this thing set up. We have a crappy LG DVD 5.1 Amp combo thing that I'm not willing to do away with. But frankly the DVD's coming from it look like popsnizzlee on this 1080 panel.

So the dillema is that this TV comes with a Free 40g PS3* Via redemption. I don't really want it for gaming. I mean, there arent many games yet that fascinate me, nor are there any i feel like paying 100 bucks for! But the thing has BD right out of the box and i'm sure i could get DVD's looking great through the HDMI. Is it worth keeping the PS3 just for this? or am i better selling the damn thing and waiting to buy a BluRay DVD combo thing later? They cost an arm and a leg at the moment so is the playstation worth more as a BD/DVD player in the long run? or $500 on ebay at the moment?

Thanks in advance.
*Supposedly Sony are trying to get rid of all their 40g PS3's while they can. There are plans to bring out a model much akin to the original 60 Gig version with all the nooks and crannies.

Edit: I should also note that i have already successfully hooked up my Macbook Pro to the TV. I can use front row and Ect, so the Macbook Pro already does a lot of the things a PS3 could, a HTPC if you will.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

#5 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3662 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:49 AM

Well, then. It looks like you only need now ponder if you want Blu-Ray or not? Do you want it? Because, an HD T.V. is a bit useless if you do not use it to it's full potential, and as a side note, most discs that you can play on the T.V are not HD standard… yet.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#6 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

Consider the info in "New Blu-ray 2.0 spec makes PS3 the most future-proof player" (January 18, 2008) before deciding to ditch the PS3.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#7 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5565 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

Also, it wouldn't hurt to at least try it as a gaming machine ;) There's demos to download for free and all after all. Who knows... you MIGHT find them interesting. I know I download almost every WW2 shooter demo that arrives despite losing interest in the genre after 3 levels of Wolfenstein 3D. Despite this I try to keep an open mind and see if I actually can enjoy the latest and greatest in the genre. Plus, the first generation games are coming in bestseller/platinum editions now for half the price. And there's always the PSN games like Ecochrome, fl0w and the likes for cheap.

But besides that, the PS3 is still one of the more future proof Blu-Ray players out there, and while I don't own one myself yet, it's supposed to be really quiet when not pressing itself with taxing games.

Also, the new machine they're bringing out is exactly like the 40GB you just got, but with an 80GB HD instead. So you're not missing out much besides a real DualShock controller and more HD space... but then you can switch the HD out for any 2.5" SATA drive anyways, so it's not a big issue.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#8 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

keep it. you say that your MBP can plug into the HDTV, but that isnt a particularly nice or seamless solution, when you could instead use MediaLink (I think thats what its called) to send video files to it over the 802.11. Also it can search through the file structure of your MBP. Im not a massive fan of Front Row right now. Its gonna take until 10.6 for Apple to sort various things out with it, as it needs much greater codec support etc. etc.

Then the BluRay is constantly being updated to the latest standard (now at profile 2.0), simply because it can. Also its still going to be much better than any other BluRay player on the market for all the gaming it can do. If you really want you can sell it a year down the line or something based on your usage. The PS3 isnt really losing much if any market value right now on ebay, so youre still good for it.
And your mac doesnt do bluray unless you boot into windows and have an external drive... which is a massive hassle.

Finally gaming, try a bundle of demos on PSN, also look at some of the smaller PSN based games there like Echochrome, fl0w, the upcoming Flower, and PixelJunk series. Echochrome looks to be one of the best things ever really. And in terms of full games, theyre all region free, so you can buy them from the US or china or whatever and play on you PS3 (unlike BluRay which is region locked). Id also say that the set of games coming for PS3 over the next year is very much more encouraging than stuff thats been out over the last year and a half.

on the downside (for me, maybe not you), I cant stand the controller...

but still KEEP IT!!!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#9 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

Hmmm. Do you guys think this thing is worth more as a Blu Ray player in the future (and now),or as $500 is now? If that 500 is just going to end up turning into another BluRay player down the Track maybe it's worth keeping the BluRay/DVD/Gamemachine/HTPC in the long run? Up to my family though i guess.

While im at it. This whole "upscale's DVD's to 1080" business that a lot of the new HDMI DVD players is really just the fact that it plays them through the HDMI at 1080. The PS3 does this yes? And does anyone know if DVD's look any better through a HDMI device rather than one with just the RYW AV cables?

IMG Resident Crackpot

#10 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on July 27th 2008, 02:09 PM, said:

And does anyone know if DVD's look any better through a HDMI device rather than one with just the RYW AV cables?

HDMI > Composite.

(yes)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#11 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

DVDs would look better through HDMI as its totally digital. but not by that much.

The upscale thing isnt just sticking it at 1080, it actually runs every frame through a complicated algorithm and tries to clean up jaggies, colour depth and add definition which isnt really there. Its a debatable process, which may or may not really be worth it. Equally, it depends on the size of the TV. Many people will be playing back these DVDs on a 32" HD ready TV (which equates to 1366x768). That means that no matter what resolution youre putting on it, nothing is going to be native, and 720p will be scaled up slightly equating to complete idiocy on the part of the manufacturer.

The PS3 supports DVD upscaling as of firmware 1.80, its now at 2.41

if that $500 is just gonna be spent on another DVD player with upscaling and then a blu-ray player, you should just stick with the PS3. I already mentioned the media streaming stuff, which already puts it way ahead of anything else you can buy. Its processor means that it is generally faster than all but the top end BR player (these things can take a while to read the discs), its got built in wireless, its a games machine etc. etc. etc.

this offers so much more than what you could get for $500 in terms of other gadgets, to the extent that Im heavily considering ending my personal feud with Sony. This time round they do appear to have a genuinely good machine all round which offers more than competing consoles, media boxes, BR players etc. etc.

just keep the thing for a month or two and then make up your mind.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#12 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:21 AM

I'm Going to keep it. Or convince my family to do so. Still probably wont but many games for it.

IMG Resident Crackpot

#13 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4927 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Trust me, even if you just use it as a BD player/DVD upscaler, it's worth it. I've got a 50" Bravia SXRD and the difference between PS3-upscaled DVDs and DVDs played on a regular player is SIGNIFICANT. What's especially nice is you can finetune the upscaling mid-movie, too. And as far as BDs go, I will never buy another movie on DVD unless that's the only format it's available on.

I really strongly recommend trying at least some of the games... a lot of non-gamers I know have REALLY enjoyed Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. And Metal Gear Solid 4 is a buttload of fun. If you're a Civilization man, Civ: Revolution is also quite enjoyable. And though it's not a well-known game, everyone I've let try out Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War has become instantly addicted.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#14 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:27 AM

When does Halo come out? :mellow:

Your advice has been very helpful. Thanks. Unfortunately two things stand in the way now. I sent the envelope to prove i am worthy of a free PS3 to sony with a christmas stamp on it... Its 10cents short... hopefully that envelope comes back, because my receipt was in there. And my father is determined that the only reason i want to keep the PS3 is for games. His problem if he wants to buy a BD player and a DVD upscaler separately i guess.

I seriously have no idea what games i would play though. I would defs play GTA 4, Project origin (if it isn't as bad as the Console port of F.E.A.R was), and Whatever Ninja Gaiden i can get my hands on. Guess it will take adjusting.

IMG Resident Crackpot

#15 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5565 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:00 AM

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the only one for the PS3. It's the most complete version of the first Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Gaiden 2 is exclusive to Xbox 360.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#16 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:06 AM

oh dear. if you put the return address on the back, then it might do... if youre lucky...

and to show to your dad that you dont want it for games, let him keep the controller in his bedroom, so that you cant play on it for a few months. Also point out to him that even without the games its still much better at BR playing and DVD upscaling than anything else on the market, and that if thats his excuse and what hes gonna do, then that teflon says hes stupid.

Project Origin is being developed for consoles in tandem with PC, unlike FEAR which was ported across. Theres decent selection of good games on the system anyway, so do a little looking and see what games did well in review etc. etc. and once you get that controller back off your dad, head onto the PSN and get a bundle of demos.

#17 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • 3794 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

Three words for that PS3.

Little. Big. Planet.

:thumbsup:

Oh, two more.

Pixeljunk Eden.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#18 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5565 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:51 AM

Top 50 PS3 games according to GameRankings (exclusives in bold):

1. Grand Theft Auto IV  --  97.385%
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare  --  93.682%
3. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion  --  93.054%
4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots  --  92.539%
5. Rock Band  --  91.490%
6. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune  --  89.884%
7. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction  --  88.598%
8. The Orange Box  --  88.159%
9. Burnout Paradise  --  87.990%
10. Resistance: Fall of Man  --  86.782%
11. Ninja Gaiden Sigma  --  86.661% (Unique PS3 content)
12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2  --  86.387%
13. GRID  --  86.323%
14. Unreal Tournament 3  --  86.249% (complete USB mouse/keyboard control support)
15. MLB 08: The Show  --  86.242%
16. Virtua Fighter 5  --  86.157%
17. Skate PS3  --  85.929%
18. NHL 08  --  85.748%
19. Super Stardust HD  --  85.158%
20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas  --  85.062%
21. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution  --  84.973%
22. Warhawk  --  84.560%
23. Battlefield: Bad Company  --  84.514%
24. Devil May Cry 4  --  84.057%
25. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock  --  83.989%
26. NBA 2K8  --  83.917%
27. PixelJunk Monsters  --  83.788%
28. Condemned 2: Bloodshot  --  83.297%
29. DiRT  --  83.270%
30. SingStar  --  83.170%
31. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2  --  83.130%
32. Everyday Shooter  --  82.909%
33. MotorStorm  --  82.840%
34. Fight Night Round 3  --  82.321%
35. Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds  --  81.971%
36. NBA Street Homecourt  --  81.953%
37. FIFA Soccer 08  --  81.906%
38. Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection  --  81.882%
39. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga  --  81.778%
40. Madden NFL 08  --  81.623%
41. echochrome  --  81.615%
42. College Hoops 2K8  --  81.511%
43. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07  --  81.323%
44. NBA 2K7  --  81.320%
45. Assassin's Creed  --  80.959%
46. Call of Duty 3  --  80.954%
47. SingStar: Vol. 2  --  80.923%
48. Heavenly Sword  --  80.727%
49. Virtua Tennis 3  --  80.630%
50. The Darkness  --  80.537%

***END MESSAGE***

#19 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

SELL IT

#20 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

With what reason?

IMG Resident Crackpot