What is Apple’s secret ‘future product transition’ that execs cannot discuss?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:13 AM

I think if Apple goes the way of a mid-range tower, either a) they may as well become a better version of Microsoft, or b) somehow keep the people to buy their hardware and software, kind of like having a branded PC with software = Apple Inc.

If none of that makes any sense, I think it is very possible the Hackintosh would very possibly become a reality.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#42 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:17 AM

Question answered:

Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#43 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 23rd 2008, 07:42 AM, said:

Why would Apple bring out a mid-range tower, when the iMac is essentially a mid-range tower, that you cannot take apart? Do you guys not see that? If Apple bring out the new tower, then they would need to do away with the iMac, and THAT, my friends has been a whole symbol of Apple for years, and that is also what represented Apple before the intel stuff arrived.

Thankyou, Thankyou.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#44 mattyb

mattyb

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

I don't see that bringing out a new product means that an existing product has to be 'done away with'. Lots of sucessful companies have products that overlap somewhat.

On possible products :
Mac Mini with dedicated GPU - yum yum. Apple can have my money NOW !
Tablet - WOMBAT (waste of money brains and time)
Smaller MacBook 10 or 11" screen - hmm, I'd have to test the keyboard.

P.S. Tried out the EEEEEEEEEpc (think it was the 9XX model) and the keyboard is too small. Its at apoint where you cannot decide 'how' to type, using a few fingers or your whole hand - infuriating. I shall never get an Ultra Mobile PC.

Then again, could it be a complete new CPU arch? Nehalem and whatever the equivalent is in the mobile world ?

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

View Postmattyb, on July 23rd 2008, 01:24 PM, said:

Then again, could it be a complete new CPU arch? Nehalem and whatever the equivalent is in the mobile world ?
Not impossible, but unlikely – from my point of view. The Nehalems that will be released this year would only be feasible for Mac Pros and maybe XServes. The other variants including the mobiles won't come before 2009 or even 2010.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#46 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

Yes, yes, exactly. I do not see why people think that having anything between a Mac Mini and the Pro will not kill (or at least affect the iMac).

By the way, a Mac Mini with a dedicated GPU is a low end iMac. It just does not not sound it. the 2400XT is a low–end card, a 8800GTS is a (not anymore) high–end card. The CPU and amount of RAM in the iMac is fine. Only people who would need a higher specs would be the low percentile who would be needy enough to buy the Mac Pro. I would have to say that Apple has thought this out far more carefully than most other computer manufacturing companies; Apple gives us less option, and also gives us more option at the same time. I do think we need more graphic card options though.

Apple is basically one of the smartest electronic computer manufactures in the whole world. Seriously.

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#47 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 23rd 2008, 07:30 AM, said:

Yes, yes, exactly. I do not see why people think that having anything between a Mac Mini and the Pro will not kill (or at least affect the iMac).

By the way, a Mac Mini with a dedicated GPU is a low end iMac. It just does not not sound it. the 2400XT is a low–end card, a 8800GTS is a (not anymore) high–end card. The CPU and amount of RAM in the iMac is fine. Only people who would need a higher specs would be the low percentile who would be needy enough to buy the Mac Pro. I would have to say that Apple has thought this out far more carefully than most other computer manufacturing companies; Apple gives us less option, and also gives us more option at the same time. I do think we need more graphic card options though.

Apple is basically one of the smartest electronic computer manufactures in the whole world. Seriously.

Liberator.

I fully agree with you there. If they were to update the GPU's twice as often as they do I'd be a happy man. And honestly i would love to see the mini tower as the new product, but it's never going to happen. There nothing new or futuristic about that and apple would be more ashamed then happy to bring that out i think. My bet for the new product is the MacBook Touch (same as old MacBook i think, except you have a full featured touch display).

What Apple should do (this would cut into the apple side of the company's profits) is make a new company. One that doesn't care about beauty or innovation but runs OS X and has decent computers and lots or 'em. The "Apple" part of the company would remain the innovating company with gorgeous laptops, and iMac and a ridiculously overpowered desktop called the Mac Pro. of course that would never happen either

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#48 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

I think it is very possible that Apple will be doing something like the touch software on their next computers, although they will need to think: how many people will buy them? I for one, am skeptical about it, and do not think the larger population will 1) willingly change 2) like the interface as much.

Liberator.

#49 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 23rd 2008, 03:13 AM, said:

If none of that makes any sense, I think it is very possible the Hackintosh would very possibly become a reality.

Liberator.

Do you have any information, or at least justification to back that statement?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#50 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

Okay, well what I mean is that if Apple bring out a mid-range tower, then they would become like Microsoft and also make branded PC's. That is because the iMac is the only computer Apple has to divide itself so much more with the rest of the industry. That computer is not like other PC's. It cannot be upgraded, (well, maybe given a bit more RAM) but if Apple lost the iMac, and it would if they brought out the mid-range tower it would be possible that the company would be changed forever. Like bringing out the iPhone, but in a negative way.

By the way, when I said:

…I think it is very possible the Hackintosh would very possibly become a reality.
I meant to less of a degree, not very possible, but still I think somewhat possible.

Liberator.

#51 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Because Apple doesn't do it, it must be right to not do it!

Ask yourself this though... for nonportable PCs, what sells the best? Is it scaled down miniboxes like the mini? Is it iMac clones? Is it high end boxes with Xeon processors?

Nope.

It's the cheap, middle/low end of the range tower with expansion options.

So what does a more savvy Windows user (not the bleeding edge hardcore gamer... which is becoming an extreme niche on PCs anyways) look for when he wants a Mac?

Also, while such a box would cut into Mac Pro sales, they'd barely touch the iMac, since it's far from the same thing... but the question is.. where would a mid-priced tower cut the most sales... Mac Pros or HP/Dell?
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#52 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostWhaleman, on July 24th 2008, 11:21 AM, said:

Because Apple doesn't do it, it must be right to not do it!

Ask yourself this though... for nonportable PCs, what sells the best? Is it scaled down miniboxes like the mini? Is it iMac clones? Is it high end boxes with Xeon processors?

Nope.

So what does a more savvy Windows user (not the bleeding edge hardcore gamer... which is becoming an extreme niche on PCs anyways) look for when he wants a Mac?

Also, while such a box would cut into Mac Pro sales, they'd barely touch the iMac, since it's far from the same thing... but the question is.. where would a mid-priced tower cut the most sales... Mac Pros or HP/Dell?

HP/Dell/Gateway/Emachine/Lenovo/Toshiba/Fujitsu/IBM. They would all take a drop in sales and Mac sales would soar.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#53 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

View PostWhaleman, on July 24th 2008, 11:21 AM, said:

With razor thin margins. Apple isn't interested in that market.

Besides, there isn't enough information available to say that it wouldn't cannibalize iMac sales. Maybe 50% of the iMac owners just want a Mac desktop that costs $1500 or less, or whatever the low end-midrange iMac sells for these days. Maybe it wouldn't change sales at all.

If Apple really thought it would be hugely profitable to do so, why haven't they?

#54 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Exactly, Apple has some of the best marketing and knowing what to market to in the industry. I do not think they would have overlooked this. If Apple has, then we will know in October. ;)

Liberator.

#55 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 24th 2008, 05:41 PM, said:

Exactly, Apple has some of the best marketing and knowing what to market to in the industry. I do not think they would have overlooked this. If Apple has, then we will know in October. ;)

Liberator.
Because you know more about business than the heads of an immensely successful company.

Edit: I'm not saying one would or wouldn't be profitable, I'm just admitting that I don't know enough about the situation to argue one way or the other, so I'm not going to play armchair CEO.

#56 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 24th 2008, 11:41 PM, said:

Exactly, Apple has some of the best marketing and knowing what to market to in the industry. I do not think they would have overlooked this.
I wouldn't be so sure. Steve Jobs is a great visionary and of course responsible for Apple's huge success in the last couple of years, but is also very dogmatic regarding what products Apple should release. And his decisions on that behalf are not always the most wise ones. I only want to remind of the Cube, which - don't get me wrong here - was/is of course a great computer, but was completely situated off the actual market. What made the situation worse, was that it was ridiculously overpriced in the beginning, so that it couldn't get any foothold. As a result, the Cube was overall a huge failure for Apple.

#57 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

Oh, okay. I'm sorry. I feel very bad now, I'm going to cry… :crying:

By the way, that is just how it seems to me.

Liberator.

#58 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

Well, don't look now but your "seems" are showing!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#59 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

Here, I will fix that for you:

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 26th 2008, 12:25 AM, said:

Well, don't look now but your "seams" are showing!
Liberator. ;)

#60 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on July 24th 2008, 06:41 PM, said:

... so I'm not going to play armchair CEO.

But that's what the Internet was invented for. Armchair CEOing. That, and pron and warez, of course.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau