What is Apple’s secret ‘future product transition’ that execs cannot discuss?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

What is Apple Chief Financial Officer, Peter Oppenheimer, referring to? Before September even.

The floor is open for guesses ... mine will always be a tablet-like device or new laptop that has two screens and a virtual keyboard.

Anyone else want to take the tin hat and have a go at the pinata?

http://www.appleinsi...embers_end.html

http://macdailynews....comments/17937/

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#2 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:27 PM

Note that they said the same thing with the aluminum/glass iMac refresh (forecasted lower margins based on a future product transition). The only difference there was that everybody already knew they were talking about updated iMacs.

Not to suggest that he's simply excusing a lower guidance with an upcoming product refresh, but it's not necessarily some ultimately-cool ultimately-unprofitable colossal-waste-of-time piece of magical machinery like a tablet (a concept for which a market doesn't even exist by all current standards).

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:41 AM

Apple's new product is...an apple.  Yes, they're branching out into bioengineering.  "We've perfected our electronics designs to such a degree that there's nowhere else to go," said Jonathan Ives.  "I mean, look at the current iMac...what else am I supposed to do with it?  It's beyond perfect!  I can't do anything else, and I was getting bored.  Mother Nature, on the other hand, needs a lot of work.  So we decided what better place to start than our own name?  That's right, we're going to make the iApple.  It will be the most beautiful, user-friendly apple of all time, and it will run a special version of OS X coded to work on organic cellular computers.  We took all the engineers away from Snow Leopard to get it done by this Fall, so there might be some delays in that department.  Um, don't tell Steve I said that.  Also, orchard owners can expect cease and desist letters from our lawyers--everyone knows that Apple invented the apple, or why else would we be called Apple?  Duh!"

--Eric

#4 digt

digt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:48 AM

My guess it will not be pro related in anyway. There won't be super high quality displays or an insanely powerful tower, but likely something related to media or laptop/tablet/mobile devices because that just seems where most of their attention is.

My best guess would be a major refreshes of the Apple TV or MacBook Air.

#5 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:02 AM

I hope they do something with that "electricity through air" tech they have lying around.

And the Mini needs a refresh. And the MBP will probably get a new GPU, as they're pretty popular mongst the gamers/pros.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

View PostdevSin, on July 22nd 2008, 07:27 AM, said:

Note that they said the same thing with the aluminum/glass iMac refresh (forecasted lower margins based on a future product transition).
Yup. My guess is a new MBP with beefed up hardware and a partly redesigned case. September fits in the usual time frame for that.

And the Mini needs a refresh.
And that. But I assume the MBP will be first.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:37 AM

yeah, I reckon itll be the MBP too.
Just dont screw it up Apple...

also, theyve got to finish off the big transition to LED backlighting some time soon, as they promised it by the end of '08.

but at the same time it could be anything really. iPods will get a slight refresh as usual, the ATV needs to be updated in terms of hardware, the mac mini too. MBs havent been touched in a while, iMacs need LED backlighting, the Mac Pro has its own particular niche.

Maybe theyre talking about up to date GPUs all around?? now that would be amazing..
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#8 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

View Postteflon, on July 22nd 2008, 04:37 AM, said:

Maybe theyre talking about up to date GPUs all around?? now that would be amazing..

OK, the tin hat I was offering isn't big enough to hold a rumour THAT large. :blink:

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#9 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

I think, because it's called transition, that they are going to be offering touch capability in all of their products. More gimmicky and less geeky = more sales. even more than they do now. Touchscreens, etc.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:25 AM

The graphics card evolution would be amazing. It wouldn't happen though. I do hope Apple still bring in a revision to the MBP still.

By the way, it would be funny if something like what Eric said, DID happen. ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#11 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:09 AM

I'm saying it's one of the things in the June issue of MacLife. However the people over at MacLife are money hungry and make you pay to read articles on their website. If you can find the June issue I would pick it up, it had full blown computer rendered pictures if things like an iPhone Mini, Tablet PC, LED Virtual Keyboard. In short all of the usual rumors piled up into one big article. Here's the cover:

Posted Image

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#12 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

I would just like some new displays with a built-in camera, having not seen a refresh in that department in years, but that's too pedestrian a request I guess.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#13 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

I still want a Mac Midi... a tower with Core 2 Duo processors instead of Xeons and with like 2 PCIe slots and 2-4 HD bays... but I know I can keep on dreaming about that.

Or a reborn cube! A mac mini with replaceable GPU!
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#14 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

Macdailynews points us towards this tidbit ... rumour, but still ...

http://macdailynews....comments/17942/

"Think MacBook screen, possibly a bit smaller, in glass with iPhone-like, but fuller-featured Multi-Touch. Gesture library. Full Mac OS X. This is why they bought P.A. Semi. Possibly with Immersion's haptic tech. Slot-loading SuperDrive. Accelerometer. GPS. Pretty expensive to produce initially, but sold at "low" price that will reduce margins. Apple wants to move these babies. And move they will. This is some sick popsnizzle. App Store-compatible, able to run Mac apps, too. By October at the latest."

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#15 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

uh... thats just some spotty nerd's wish list.
I remember back in my warhammer 40K days Id meticulously plan out an army roster that would never ever see the light of day.
its a nice list, but half of that is wished up

oh, and I would buy a reborn cube the day its announced. The best form factor ever. Sure, were eschewing the whole silence thing, but in a similar form  now we could easily see the optical drive, 3.5"HDD, 2 RAM slots (up to 4Gb), Penryn up to 3Ghz and a PCIe slot to accommodate a 4850 or something like that with a ducted GPU fan to push air out the top.

[ / sweaty nerd wish list ]

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

I highly doubt it will be a tablet mac thingy, seeing as Apple has not had any issue with the Axiotron Modbook, which is basically a tablet mac

Ya and I'm hoping for the reborn cube that teflon was talking about, except I hope its in a mini version of the Mac Pro case

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#17 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

I can't afford any of it but I too would like to see a midrange tower. I think that Apple is missing out on a huge niche. Some people think the Mini's too small, the Pro's too much money, and the iMac is well, the iMac.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#18 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

Yes I know that's a wish list to some degree.

But the nay-sayers who keep repeating there will never be a (touch) tablet from Apple or "virtual keyboards suck" are, I fully believe, in for a shock in the near future (within a year or two). Evidence ... touch, iPhone, multi-touch patents galore, thin little flat keyboard for iMacs and towers, Air. Training, my friends ... all training.

There is no better feedback mechanism to perfect a concept than having it hidden in plain sight in front of 10s of millions of users.

And very few like Apple to make you utterly forget the difference between "want" and "need" and thus pull out your wallets.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#19 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on July 22nd 2008, 12:27 PM, said:

I highly doubt it will be a tablet mac thingy, seeing as Apple has not had any issue with the Axiotron Modbook, which is basically a tablet mac

Apple hasn't had any issue with them, because it is an Apple Macbook.  It's just modded by a third party, hence the name.  (And that's why it's so expensive...you basically have to pay full price for a Macbook, plus the modifications on top of that, as opposed to it being built that way to begin with.)

--Eric

#20 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

yup, they wouldnt bother to quash a product legally when they can quash it by releasing a product at a lower price point. Aviotron would then just disappear basically.

as for the virtual keyboard thing. a tactile keyboard is much better if you can fit one on. it just works and wont be surpassed in anything other than a device which cant fit a full keyboard on. simple. The thin keyboards for desktops they created is simply because they transitioned to the key style that was used on the MBs. smaller mechanism, smaller keyboard. Ive used a scissor keyboard for years on my cube, and its thinner than an old apple pro.

finally, all the touch keyboard patents etc. etc. is only so they can lord it over people that try and use it in their products. Of course theyre working on it. theyve stuck it into the iPhone and it works quite well... but for at least the next few years I see it as a pipe dream.