Return to Castle Wolfenstein Universal Binary?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 bendermac

bendermac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

is there any chance we might see an update to let the game run native on intel machines?
movie trailer encoder for movie-list.com

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15918 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

About the same chance that we'll all just get along.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:55 PM

Maybe if the source gets released some day.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7265 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

View PostTesseract, on July 17th 2008, 06:55 AM, said:

Maybe if the source gets released some day.
RtCW is based on the Quake 3 engine – and the source of that has been released. In the following, this has spawned UBs of other Q3 engine games like Jedi Knight 2 or Alice. It just seems that no one is interested in producing a RtCW UB – unlike Brad Oliver, who was keen on compiling the aforementioned universals.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:33 AM

View PostJanichsan, on July 17th 2008, 12:21 AM, said:

It just seems that no one is interested in producing a RtCW UB
Someone got the Enemy Territory guys to give them the source to port, so it's entirely up to Gray Matter and Nerve to do something similar. Otherwise, there have been some inroads to getting the publicly available Quake 3 sources to support other games. Maybe a release of the extras accompanying the other ports would be too much too ask?

Both console versions include a series of prequel single player missions where the main character, BJ Blazkowicz and his partner Agent One operate in Nazi-occupied Egypt / North Africa. The PS2 version has a New Bonus Feature where you can purchase items by finding secrets at the end of each level. In the Xbox version a Secret Bonus is awarded after every level when all the secret areas for that level have been found. It also has a New Shotgun weapon found in Single player as well as the Soldier and Engineer for Multiplayer games. New Special equipment - Holy Cross, EMP Device, and X-Shield. New Enemies - Occult Priest and X-Shepard. And the original Wolf 3D. The two player co-op mode is exclusive to Xbox and allows the second player to play as Agent One.

#6 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

View Postbobbob, on 17 July 2008 - 04:33 AM, said:

Someone got the Enemy Territory guys to give them the source to port, so it's entirely up to Gray Matter and Nerve to do something similar. Otherwise, there have been some inroads to getting the publicly available Quake 3 sources to support other games. Maybe a release of the extras accompanying the other ports would be too much too ask?

I read recently that ID have now released the source code for RTCW so fingers cross we might get an Mac OS X Intel build to preserve it in case Rosetta goes away someday.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7265 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

View Postmattw, on 18 September 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

I read recently that ID have now released the source code for RTCW so fingers cross we might get an Mac OS X Intel build to preserve it in case Rosetta goes away someday.
I know some people from a german Mac gaming forum are already trying to get RtCW compiled as an Universal Binary, but it seems there are some (minor) problems.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2223 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:52 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 18 September 2010 - 03:29 PM, said:

I know some people from a german Mac gaming forum are already trying to get RtCW compiled as an Universal Binary, but it seems there are some (minor) problems.

could you go into detail????
What is a man?

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7265 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:14 AM

View PostIchigo27, on 18 September 2010 - 10:52 PM, said:

could you go into detail????
Not very much. Here's the corresponding forum thread (Google translated). It's not really playable yet and the guy who's trying to make it compile on Intel Macs is busy otherwise at the moment, so there's no progress to expect for the next couple of weeks.

#10 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

The ioquake3 people are also working on it making an iortcw an ioWolf:ET. I'm sure they are going to make Mac versions of that as well since they do with ioQuake3. Ah, I see they are trying to work with the ioQuake people's stuff. That stuff isn't very mature yet. They've basically just started and just have it in SVN so to speak (they use a different system though that icculus is more of a fan of).

If you really want to play RTCW in OS X in the meantime I would suggest cidering it as it actually works better than running it in rosetta. I have both star trek elite force games running this way and Heavy Metal FAKK2.

Once the ioquake people are ready I'm sure they'll have binaries up for the supported platforms available to download.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#11 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 19 September 2010 - 11:07 AM, said:

I have both star trek elite force games running this way and Heavy Metal FAKK2.

Great to hear RTCW single player should be back for OS X in an Intel version one day. I had no luck with my Mac versions of Elite Force 1 and FAKK2 since around 10.4 on PowerPC so it is nice to know it might be possible to resurrect them on an Intel Mac with 10.6 - I never got to finish FAKK2 with the Omni patch. I don't suppose any of the old MacPlay titles like NOLF2 and TRON 2 can be made to work?

#12 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

View Postmattw, on 19 September 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

Great to hear RTCW single player should be back for OS X in an Intel version one day. I had no luck with my Mac versions of Elite Force 1 and FAKK2 since around 10.4 on PowerPC so it is nice to know it might be possible to resurrect them on an Intel Mac with 10.6 - I never got to finish FAKK2 with the Omni patch. I don't suppose any of the old MacPlay titles like NOLF2 and TRON 2 can be made to work?

Yes, TRON 2.0 works well with CXZ (or crossover games) if you install the windows media support file that comes with it into the wrapper. Ironically Omni's ports like Tron 2.0 used PPC versions of transgaming's software kind of like Cider in the first place.... and that's why they didn't work on newer versions of OS X. I haven't tried the game with a newer cider revision but CXZ or crossover games is your best bet in my experience.

By the way the lens flare problem is still present in elite force even in a wrapper. I have to have it disabled still even on my new iMac in 10.6. This happens in Serious Sam Second Encounter as well. Other than that you can max out all the details including those not exposed in the configuration menus by editing the .cfg files for the maximum image quality they can provide plus widescreen support.

In Star Trek Voyager Elite Force you should notice it's much easier to get that game with its expansion pack this way than to try to get the old Mac version.

But yeah especially Heavy Metal FAKK2 in cider works a lot better than Omni's port (which crashed during level loads even on PPC). Amusing to me is someone who made a new'ish cider port had it pop up Omni's splash page when you start it.

Obviously you have to procure PC versions of these games in order to do these solutions.

Here are screenshots of EF2, 1 and Heavy Metal FAKK2 (cider in their cases) taken on my system with my tweaks:

Elite Force 1

Elite Force 2

FAKK2

Don't have any of Tron 2.0 (or RTCW) as I don't have it installed at the moment but plan on reinstalling it soon. I needed to upgrade it to a newer wrapper any way.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#13 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 19 September 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

Yes, TRON 2.0 works well with CXZ (or crossover games. Ironically Omni's ports like Tron 2.0 used PPC versions of transgaming's software kind of like Cider in the first place.... and that's why they didn't work on newer versions of OS X. In Star Trek Voyager Elite Force you should notice it's much easier to get that game with its expansion pack this way than to try to get the old Mac version. Obviously you have to procure PC versions of these games in order to do these solutions.

Thanks for that. I already own the Mac versions of all of those including the Elite Force expansion - I remember paying a small fortune to import that expansion pack from Aspyr directly as it was never sold in stores over here. I also renewed my Crossover games subscription so it looks like I need to try and pickup the PC versions on ebay. Sometimes it seems like switches get all the luck - those of us who have always had Macs get stuck with abandoned ports as the various developers come and go where as they can still use their old copies on a completely different operating system. Looking at winehq it seems that NOLF 2 still has problems which is a shame as I remember that being really funny and addictive.

#14 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

I have sort of that problem too as I had been on PowerPC for a while so I got a collection of PowerPC games which are now worthless and I'm having to replace with wrapped PC versions.... those games are some of those which I had to replace. Luckily I was also a PC gamer at one time so I also have PC copies.. but yeah PC copies tend to be easier to find in general. I was dissapointed to find Tron 2.0 wouldn't even work on my PPC Mac in 10.5. But a cool thing about running the PC version is there's a mod that improves it in a few ways like fixing widescreen support. The widescreen support wasn't that bad before but it apparently improves it.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#15 BalrogTrainer

BalrogTrainer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

I know this worked under 10.4, using a first generation MacBook.  I was really happy, because with the Intel graphics, it was the greatest shortcoming of the machine...the processor was fine, and with 2gb of memory(an upgrade) the game did fine, where few other games would run.  I loved the computer, and thought that the processor was great for everything, unless graphically intensive, and RTCW, one of the greatest games of all time(that is why some of us try to run it) played on the system.  I used 10.4 for a while and thought I got it to run under 10.5, although it may have been due to the fact that it was an upgrade.  I think there may be a Carbon residue issue here.  I have a MacBook Pro(currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.4) and don't have a specific memory of whether or not I have gotten it to play or not on this machine...I think I did, but have had to do a full reinstall and have certainly gotten rid of the MacBook.  It is a game I finish and will always come back to play, but sometimes have deleted to make room on a hard drive quickly filled with iTunes and other downloads(I have to do the hard drive shuffle to keep 10GB free on a 250GB hard drive).  I know it will run on an Intel chip, but it is a software issue, not specifically related to hardware other than the fact that it would be difficult to find drivers for a machine that is current.  I had several hard drives with backup data get destroyed during a move and cannot check to see if that earlier installation would copy into my drive and work, but I know it worked with a 1.8GHz Core2 MacBook with Intel graphics...perhaps it is the Intel graphics chip that let it work, but either way, it won't run now, and I wish it would because it is like an old friend I really miss.  The only people that don't love to kill nazi's are probably the nazi's themselves, and that makes me want to kill them more.  Love to find an answer, because this is one of the greatest games made and gave developers the incentive to make the current games as great as they are.

#16 NoWang

NoWang

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:36 AM

Running rtcw on 10.6 iMac 27" quad. Solution is on YouTube : return to castle wolfenstein on intel. It's a sublimely simple solution. I'm halfway through the game! No prob. Any hassle email me. I also have STVEF1 running.

#17 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

View Postmattw, on 18 September 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

If there's still demand, I can probably whip up 2 builds that work in short order. I fixed the lens-flare perf issue for the UB for CoD1, so I'd be happy to apply it to Wolf as well.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#18 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

That would be awesome Brad! :)

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15918 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostSargiel, on 12 February 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

That would be awesome Brad! :)
Look at his title, "Awesome" is his first name.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on 12 February 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

If there's still demand, I can probably whip up 2 builds that work in short order. I fixed the lens-flare perf issue for the UB for CoD1, so I'd be happy to apply it to Wolf as well.

Yes please! :)