• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:03 AM

Option-shift-2 = €
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#102 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:33 AM

Despite it not being fair do doing a straight dollar conversion, there's some more issues:

US Prices does not include sales tax
Canadian Prices include 5% GST
Australian Prices include 10% GST
British Prices include 17.5% VAT
French Prices include 19.6% TVA

It's impossible to try to hold a straight currency policy, especially if you can have some parts manufactured locally in one country (US) while other have to import everything (Europe, where it then gets assembles on Cork, unless it's sent from Asia straight away). Apple is actually one of the few electronics companies that has lowered the non-US prices to reflect the state of the dollar. Sony and Nintendo still charge one Euro per Dollar... And when you move over to Scandinavia, Sony is playing it even worse, charging SEK4495 for the 40GB PS3, or $752 compared to the US $399... but then we have 25% Moms here, so it's really $602... so we only pay 50% more than the US.

But world economy isn't that simple... and if you look at it, Apple is among the fairer players right now.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#103 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

depends on your keyboard. that gets me this™, cos mines a UK keyboard which has option-2 as €.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#104 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:47 AM

Shift-4 on a Swedish keyboard ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#105 mattyb

mattyb

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

I'll gladly swap my euro symbol for a pipe symbol - you need 13 fingers to type a pipe symbol on a French Mac keyboard.

#106 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

View Postcharmin, on July 18th 2008, 07:04 PM, said:

I question your use of 'cents' to replace Euros. € < copy and paste it.
Ooops, sorry about that. :blush:

View Postnobody, on July 18th 2008, 07:03 PM, said:

Option-shift-2 = €
Duly noted. Thanks. ;)

I do know that I was a little hard on the pricing, but what i was trying to say, was to raise awareness of being caught out, that is all. :)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#107 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

Are us Canadians a loud to order from the US store. Or would apple crap themselves at the thought?

-Snake

PS: I'm having the most peculiar issue with my Mac Pro. I have Age of Empires II minimized and am just doing other things (like posting right now) and the computer is as slow as I've ever seen in my life. 20% of my CPU is powering AoE3 as well as a GB of RAM. But that should leave plenty of power left for everything else I need to do. Its so slow that when i typed this sentence in about 7 seconds that it took the text on the screen about 1 minute to catch up
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#108 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on July 18th 2008, 09:04 AM, said:

Are us Canadians a loud to order from the US store. Or would apple crap themselves at the thought?
A Canadian IMG Writer asked me to buy a Nike iPod sports kit for him from an American Apple store to mail to him, so I'd say at one time "yes", and it still might be the same case.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#109 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

View PostWhaleman, on July 18th 2008, 02:33 AM, said:

US Prices does not include sales tax
Canadian Prices include 5% GST
It's like, how much more wrong could this be? and the answer is none. None more wrong. Canada is like the US, with any sales tax being additional.

It's impossible to try to hold a straight currency policy
My Canadian credit card will charge in USD, with a 1-2%-ish fee on top of week-averaged currency rates. Even that's a bit of a reaming compared to what a large corporation can do, but Apple's rates go way beyond. If they're playing in the 4X market to reduce costs, they're doing it wrong. Most of the stuff people regularly buy is at a much more competitive rate because, well, anyone with half a brain can see right through abject stupidity like that and go to a competitor.

Heck, even airport currency converters usually top out around 5%, and those are considered highway robbery.

If Apple would let me order an iMac straight from the US store, I'd pay about $100 or 9% less. That's one hell of a service charge.

#110 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:35 AM

View Postbobbob, on July 19th 2008, 01:38 AM, said:

It's like, how much more wrong could this be? and the answer is none. None more wrong. Canada is like the US, with any sales tax being additional.

My bad and I apologize about that. No need to be a dick about it.

As for the currency rate, if Apple was only one company worldwide (it's not) that only dealt with US dollars, it could possibly have a pure dollar strategy. But trying to keep even pace with a dollar that dropped from 1.18 CAD in March 2007 to 0.93 CAD in November the same year isn't easy, and probably not profitable... I'm not sure how Apple Canada does it, but if they imported parts for a certain value in march, and would try to keep an even dollar policy, they'd make a loss by selling them just a month later. And in Europe the dollar has dropped from EUR 0.85 to 0.63 since late 2005... and while Apple hasn't dropped their prices by 36%, at least they've lowered them somewhat (12ish %) compared to large parts of the electronics industry world (actually MS lowered the prices of the Xbox 360 consoles as well, but nothing else).

I sort of get a feeling that most companies have taken  huge loss due to the unstable dollar, since a lot of them have their funds kept in dollars. Not trying to keep an even dollar policy is probably a buffer they need... and if they would be forced to keep the prices even, it would probably be the US prices that would increase and not the other way around.

***END MESSAGE***

#111 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

I do agree, slowly, everything is getting better for the consumers' of Apple's products outside of the US, but it still has a bit of a way to go. That does not mean, that I would blindly rather Apple laptops over any other consumer in the market, I am just saying that Apple still have stuff to iron out.

By the way, at least they are become better, eg: having better video cards in their iMacs and Mac Pros. they just need to keep the trend with the Macbook Pro's. ;)

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#112 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

the problem with GPUs is that laptop parts simply arent very good unless you go for the very top end ones, at which point theyre kicking out a lot of heat and so wouldnt suit the MBP's profile.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#113 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

That doesn't have to be. We all know apple changes their architecture around stuff, so either they reprogram the card (or let it be reprogrammed) and let it run slower, just in order to gear up when it's necessary or they change the stuff around it. If they're redesigning anyway, might pay off for a better/high end gpu.

Oh and the MBP is high heat. I don't have much experience with laptops, agreed, but it (my mbp second rev.) gets *really* hot if you use it more than thirty minutes at high speed. Sometimes it revvs up without a reason, too.

My point being, I think heat is "part" of the MBPs profile. Because the point of the MBP is either working, or playing. or playworking. Either way, it'll revv up, thereby causing heat. And enough of it too.

Short. Sentences. No please don't give me a gigantic post about how I'm not accurate or how I could be more wrong. :D
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#114 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:21 PM

My MBP is HOT. I mean this thing seriously burns my lap. In less I have either my case or my cooling pad underneath my lappy (which I recently christened Sabrina) I can't keep it on my lap for over a minute.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#115 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Have you ever tried cooking breakfast on your MBP? ;)

Liberator.

#116 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on July 19th 2008, 09:07 PM, said:

Oh and the MBP is high heat. I don't have much experience with laptops, agreed, but it (my mbp second rev.) gets *really* hot if you use it more than thirty minutes at high speed. Sometimes it revvs up without a reason, too.

ok ok, ill try brevity. yeesh!

which is precisely why they cant put a GPU in there which produces more heat. Its already balanced so that the CPU and GPU hover around 50ºC when Idling, so thats fine, but if the GPU then puts out 80ºC instead of 75ºC under load and has to do so for long periods of time the cooling system isnt going to be able to get rid of the heat.

and yeah, the MBP is designed to dissipate heat as efficiently as possible through its metallic exterior, which is why its often very hot to hold (but so is the MB and other competing "laptops")

and mR.sELvetaRM, laptop is no longer the correct terminology. Its now Notebook, as excess heat to your genitalia can cause impotence, and if you put it under stress these things can get almost too hot to touch (depending on circumstances). having it on your lap is more likely to mess up the vents at the back and restrict heat dissipation on the bottom thus leading to a hotter running laptop.

#117 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on July 19th 2008, 08:27 PM, said:

Have you ever tried cooking breakfast on your MBP? ;)

Liberator.

I tried cooking an egg on th back once, but the yolk slipped down my vents and made it even more hot!

And to teflon, you're right

Apple:
MacBook Pro is a full-featured notebook inside one inch of sturdy aluminum. Starting at just 5.4 pounds, MacBook Pro is designed to keep up with you

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#118 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

Still, for lan play, sometimes the only possibility is LAPTOP GOODNESS!
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#119 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:38 AM

View PostWhaleman, on July 19th 2008, 03:35 AM, said:

trying to keep even pace with a dollar that dropped from 1.18 CAD in March 2007 to 0.93 CAD in November the same year isn't easy, and probably not profitable.
Yeah, which is why it's a mistake since they suck at playing the market. Still has nothing to do with them stopping furreners from buying at the US Online Apple Store in US funds. Amazon lets me buy books and stuff from the US site, for example. I typically save ~1-2%, if at all, that way, but it's my option. Sometimes customs will slip and I won't be charged tax, even. That's quite the bonus.

while Apple hasn't dropped their prices by 36%, at least they've lowered them somewhat (12ish %) compared to large parts of the electronics industry
In Canada we pay parity in a lot of geeky areas, mostly software, and are very close to parity in hardware except at Apple.

I sort of get a feeling that most companies have taken  huge loss due to the unstable dollar
They're keeping the US prices relatively constant despite rampant USD inflation, so their loss is in the US first and foremost. It has nothing to do with conversion rates. Somewhat smarter* companies like Nintendo have kept the price constant, but are limiting shipments to US to constrain their loss. The Fed can't drop the interest rate much more, and will likely raise it within 6 months, so we'll see how it goes.

*Depending on whether the good is normal or inferior. KD and ramen, for example, would probably be seeing more US sales.