5 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:03 AM

Basilisk Games has released the third of its weekly Q&A updates featuring answers to questions from forum members about the upcoming Eschalon: Book II. The latest answer explains why players will not have the opportunity to ride horses in the next installment of the old school RPG series.

Question #3: [Yeliu] Will we be able to ride horses to move faster and add a charge attack?
No. There will be no horses (or other mounts) in Book II. To be fair, we tried...we spent 3 weeks in February experimenting with adding horses to the engine and it just requires waaaaay too much modification. Things we had to consider: what to do with horses in towns and dungeons, horses in combat, how do traps/disease/poison effect horses, horses in regards to boats and portals, how player encumbrance effects horses (and a horse's carrying capacity in general), food/water requirements (if player needs to eat, shouldn't their horse as well?), not to mention tons of additional animation needed to put horses in the game. Seriously, horses and mounts need to be worked into an engine at the development stage for it to work properly- it's not something that can be easily tossed into an already developed engine.

I do promise that it will be considered for any future game we do outside the original Eschalon trilogy.
Head over to the link below to read the rest.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:52 AM

Part of me wants to order this game because I love role playing games.. But, I can't seem to get beyond that scrolling dialog at the bottom. I know that's "old school" and maybe a lot of players like that, but if I pick up something off the ground — it was intentional. I already know I picked it up. That constant news feed at the bottom telling me I picked up so and so, or talked to a certain person would drive me right off the edge.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

If they are now forcing you to eat, they ought at least let you eat your horse.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

Why eat your horse when take-out might be much more convenient?
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#5 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:44 PM

The real question is, do you need to eat more often when using haste (the traditional horse replacement)?

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:37 AM

View PostTesseract, on July 2nd 2008, 04:44 AM, said:

The real question is, do you need to eat more often when using haste (the traditional horse replacement)?
Of course. When you are in haste, you eat fast food. And – as we all know – fast food doesn't satiate for long.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"