37 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3803 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'd be re-miss if I didn't mention the Aurora Toolset from NWN1. Sigh. I know Eric5h will get a chuckle out of that reply.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#22 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

View PostUniversalWolf, on July 2nd 2008, 06:48 PM, said:

All the games you mentioned have mac versions.  The OSX version of BG2 has some unresolved bugs, however.  I don't think there was a mac version of Icewind Dale 2.

But were they released as OS X titles, or OS 9 and below? Do they have UBs? If not then they are useless to most modern Mac gamers, where as on Windows all I have to do is pop in my old CD's and play. I think Apple lost something when they dropped Classic support.

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7009 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

View PostmR.sELvETaRM, on July 3rd 2008, 07:30 PM, said:

But were they released as OS X titles, or OS 9 and below? Do they have UBs?
Apart from BG1, they are all MacOS X native and run well under Rosetta.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Time to get on Ebay then. :P

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#25 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Since Majesty is OS9 only and the Northern Expansion never came to the mac, I'm considering getting the Windows versions of these.  Anyone have any experience with this?

#26 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

View PostUniversalWolf, on July 5th 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Since Majesty is OS9 only and the Northern Expansion never came to the mac, I'm considering getting the Windows versions of these.  Anyone have any experience with this?
I got it for like $4 on ebay. Beat all of the original levels fairly easily, IIRC, but the expansion is much tougher. There are a bunch of extra maps on the website, too. Probably would run great under Parallels.

#27 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

Then you'll like Il-2 Sturmovik – or even better: Il-2 1946, which is the game with all its expansions. The best WWII flight sim to date.

I picked up IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 at Best Buy for $20.  It's definitely a great purchase.  The amount of content you get for the money is amazing.  Good call, Janichsan.

I'm currently in the middle of a campaign as a Hungarian Bf.109 pilot, which has been a good way to get used to the controls and interface.

I still think Parsoft has the best flight model ever made, which is why I wish Eric Parker would make a new sim.  That's not really a criticism of IL-2, though.  On the other hand I turned off stalls and spins in IL-2.  I wish there were a way to tone down the spins alone, without turning them off.  They seem too touchy, but the stalls didn't bother me.  That's my only real complaint.

#28 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

I've been playing the demo for the old RPG Gothic (from about 2001), and I definitely plan on buying it.  Fans of the series tell me both Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 are very good.

#29 Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

• Lego Indiana Jones
  • Lego Batman
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight
  • Star Wars: Rebellion
  • Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
  • Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
  • Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
  • Star Wars: Force Commander
  • Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
  • Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing (not sure if this one even made it to PC before LucasLearning closed down)
  • Star Wars: Behind the Magic (not a game though)
You might notice a bit of a pattern there. ;)

#30 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

Here is (probably) one of the best Star Trek games to come out on the PC: Starfleet Command 2: Empires at War. It's a great game....the foundation of the game is Starfleet Battles, a board game. Omnigroup was in the middle of porting SFC2, when it was was decided that the project would be scrapped.

It was because of this game, that I kept around an old Windows machine to play on. Now that the Mac is Intel-based, I'm all smiles.

richmlow
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M (256MB VRAM)
OS X 10.8.4

#31 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

I recently got a copy of Jagged Alliance 2, and it's superb.

If you liked Fallout I think you would also like Jagged Alliance 2.

#32 A.Cole

A.Cole

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

Well, how old are we talking...

Rome: Total War is amazing
Emperor: Battle for Dune was one of Westwood's last
Fallout
Fallout 2
Jagged Alliance 2
X-COM
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
Age of Empires 2
Dune 2000 is still classic
Rise of Nations
Homeworld and Homeworld 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Baulder's Gate and Icewind Dale
Final Fantasy 8

Ugh, I could keep going.  And I will be selling many of these since i finally quit...
15" Macbook Pro, 2.80ghz, 4GB DDR3, 9600M 512mb
Time, Truth, Hearts

#33 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

If you're going to play Half Life 2, its worth checking out the Fake Factory Mod.  It brings the graphics improvements from Episode 2 and more to the older Half Life 2.  Valve have stated they planned on doing this for some time but they still have no ETA.

There is a similar fan made graphics update for Stalker but its a resource PIG and has annoying issues (at lest the version I tried) like rain falling inside buildings...

I know the original thread suggested games two years old at least, but it also said "for a pittance" and to my mind, $15 is a pittance and that's the current steam price for King's Bounty : The Legend.  An award winning (and stunningly beautiful) strategy RPG with an add-on/sequel that requires the original game due out later this year.  Bricks and mortar stores are selling it for even less in some areas.

#34 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2198 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

View PostCrunchy in milk, on July 26th 2009, 10:27 AM, said:

If you're going to play Half Life 2, its worth checking out the Fake Factory Mod.  It brings the graphics improvements from Episode 2 and more to the older Half Life 2.

Only if it was windows xp friendly.
What is a man?

#35 Abbas

Abbas

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:26 AM

Lovely discussion, but I'm writing in search of a game I have lost, which was even simpler than Spaceward Ho. It was about nodes between stars, as in starlanes, and rewarded the player based on the connections between nodes owned by you at the start of every turn turn.  I have been looking for it for over a decade, and haven't even identified the name yet..  Very simple, no UI whatsoever.  U directed the armies from every connection at the node-point, i.e., the star itself.  If your opponent took over the star at the other end, no income from that connection..  So the strategy was to focus on retaining a larger area of the playfield, despite your opponents moves..
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Many thanks.

#36 Zeed

Zeed

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

Postal
postal 2

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15619 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

View PostZeed, on 24 January 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

Postal
postal 2
Tis a shame that was your first post.  Both of those titles made it to the Mac.  Postal 2 is one of my top 10 favorite Mac games.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostAbbas, on 07 June 2010 - 01:26 AM, said:

...a game I have lost, which was even simpler than Spaceward Ho.
Even simpler than Spaceward Ho?  Must be late 80s early 90s then?  I can't think of the answer but that's a darn long time ago.