37 replies to this topic

#1 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

I thought it might be a good idea for people to post their favorite old Windows games for people who can dual-boot.  I'm thinking of games that came out at least two or three years ago and can be found on, say, Amazon for peanuts.  Of course these ought to be games that have no mac version.

I picked up Parsoft's last flight sim, Fighter Squadron: Screamin' Demons Over Europe for the cost of shipping alone.  I loved A-10 Attack! and I like this one quite a bit.  There's a ton of community content available too.

I also recommend Troika's RPGS, like Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil, although ToEE was something of a debacle upon release and needs the community-made patches in order for it to be really playable.

Anyone else?

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

I actually did this, but I went all the way back to the original Doom and played nearly every game in every genre up 'til now.  If it taught me one thing, it's that there are no classics in the gaming world yet--the medium is evolving in a positive way far too quickly (even the movie industry, which is far more stable than the video games industry, arguably has had only a handful of titles survive more than a couple of decades). That said, here's a couple of games to try, and I highly recommend each one, irrespective of your genre preferences.  All of these games deserve a reinvisioning at some point in the future, when the pace of development slows down a bit.

- Homeworld (sci-fi RTS).  Homeworld 2 was released on the Mac. In defiance of my earlier statement about the short shelf life of today's games, the original Homeworld still rocks--my theory behind this phenomina is that strategy games evolve more slowly than shooters.  If you can, run through both games back-to-back.  I've tried almost every good RTS out there, and this series is one of the only four that I've enjoyed (the others: Myth, Starcraft, and Company of Heroes).

- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (1st/3rd person stealth shooter).  If you haven't played the original game, hit that first.  Ignore the second game (Pandora Tomorrow), which was done by a different studio.  As a shooter, the (originally) spectacular presentation of the original game is fading fast--if you want to get into this series, do it as soon as possible.  

- Half Life 2 (and the episodic sequels).  Assuming that you have a decent GPU, just buy the Orange Box--you'll get the Half Life 2 series, Team Fortress 2, and Portal for the price of one game.  A word of advice: ignore the original Half Life--it's been slaughtered by the beast of time (much to my disappointment when I played it three years ago).  In all honesty, while playing the original game eliminates a couple of questions that you'll probably pose if you jump straight into the sequel (like, "what's Black Mesa, and why do I have a crowbar?") the answers aren't worth the primitive gameplay experience.  If you absolutely must know what happened, go ahead and play the original--just don't say that I didn't warn you.

- Knights of the Old Republic 2.  The original was great, and if you loved that, this should be a no-brainer.  Unfortunately, the game was sold unfinished because the publisher put pressure on the developers to release it in time for the holiday season (if I recall correctly).  Still, it's a great game, and a heck of a lot of fun.

- Titan Quest (and the Immortal Throne expansion, sold as a set on Steam). I never got into Diablo, nor did I want to.  From what I hear, this is the only isometric RPGs good enough to warrant NOT being called a "Diablo clone."  Personally, I love the God of War-like story. It also has a cooperative singleplayer feature for up to 6 people--I highly recommend buying this with a friend and playing through the game with him/her (be sure to use something like Skype to facilitate battle chatter).

- Max Payne 2.  The original was released on the Mac.  The sequel is more of the same film noir storytelling and addictive gameplay.  As with all of my suggestions, don't play the titles out of order.

- Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (a steal on Steam). I don't characterize this as a RTS, although you certainly could.  In my opinion, the gameplay is too action-oriented to drop it squarely in the RTS camp, although the last quarter of the storyline heats up to the point where it deserves the RTS designation.

- STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.  This foreign RPG FPS is a one-of-a-kind game, like Deus Ex.  It requires a lot more user maturity than the typical FPS.

- Darkstar One.  The easiest way to describe this game is a blend of an arcade sci-fi space sim (like Rogue Squadron) and a really, really fun RPG.  The Darkstar One (a bionic space ship) is pretty awesome as a character.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, GoTY Edition. Great atmosphere and Role playing abound, and you can pick the entire thing up for around 20 Aussie Dollars.

Max Payne 1 & 2. Max Payne 1 is easily the better game but they are both worth a look out. There's a movie with Mark Whalberg due out this year (fancy that? the game based on movies becomes a movie). Check out the Kung Fu 3.0 Mod for Max Payne 1. It keeps all of the game intact but adds a couple of stylistic changes including a full set of kung fu moves. Lots of Fun. There are not any good mods like this for Max Payne 2 however.

On the note about Half Life 1, there is currently a massive mod under production called Black Mesa. They are converting the entire game into the Source engine... properly. Most of the levels are being completely redone from scratch, merely being based on the original designs, and all of the art is being redone, all the music, ect, ect. It will basicly come together more like Half Life 2.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

Perhaps in look, but probably not in feel.  Game design progressed quite a bit between Half Life and its sequel.  Community efforts seem to be able to do a fair job of enhancing graphical detail on a regular basis, but I've never seen one that has the leadership, motivation, and resources necessary to do a full overhaul.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

I just finished Thief 3 and Painkiller. Both are really fun games. Thief 3 is particularly addictive.

#6 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Planescape: Torment is one of the best games ever.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#7 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:01 AM

Rome Total War.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:13 AM

View PostUniversalWolf, on June 28th 2008, 02:47 AM, said:

I picked up Parsoft's last flight sim, Fighter Squadron: Screamin' Demons Over Europe for the cost of shipping alone.  I loved A-10 Attack! and I like this one quite a bit.
Then you'll like Il-2 Sturmovik – or even better: Il-2 1946, which is the game with all its expansions. The best WWII flight sim to date. Period. Falcon 4.0 Allied Force is another great flight sim, but of course more modern (regarding setting and simulated planes, that is).

Actually, those are the only two games I boot into Windows for. Everything else worth playing there (in my opinion) is playable under CrossOver Games virtually flawlessly: (the slightly overrated) Half-Life 2 and derivatives, Civ IV: Complete, Fahrenheit... Max Payne 1 & 2 and KotOR 2 also run there, but I haven't tried them personally.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 27th 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

- Homeworld (sci-fi RTS).  Homeworld 2 was released on the Mac. In defiance of my earlier statement about the short shelf life of today's games, the original Homeworld still rocks--my theory behind this phenomina is that strategy games evolve more slowly than shooters.  If you can, run through both games back-to-back.  I've tried almost every good RTS out there, and this series is one of the only four that I've enjoyed (the others: Myth, Starcraft, and Company of Heroes).

There is the old open-source port of Homeworld released a few years ago - I tried it out and it works pretty well; lack of sound/movie playback notwithstanding, everything works, even multiplayer (which granted I haven't tried yet). I have no idea if it works on Intel Macs, though.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 27th 2008, 10:47 PM, said:

- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (1st/3rd person stealth shooter).  If you haven't played the original game, hit that first.  Ignore the second game (Pandora Tomorrow), which was done by a different studio.  As a shooter, the (originally) spectacular presentation of the original game is fading fast--if you want to get into this series, do it as soon as possible.

How good is the 3rd splinter cell compared to the 1st one. I beat the 1st and 2nd but for some reason never picked up the 3rd one despite SC 1 being one of my most favourite games. SC 2 was definately fun but laughably easy compared to number one. I beat the 2nd one in a week, where as the 1st one took me about 1-2 months. Also how are these games on the computer, cuz I played them on xBox. How do you quickly change your speed as thats a very key part of the game.

After beating SC 1 on xBox I got it for mac and they used page up/down to change speed, the game was also very glitchy (didn't save anything, so you had to do the whole mission in one run). I only made it to the 2nd level and that's when i gave up on playing SC on the computer.

Oh, and if you've played number 4 how does it compare with the others?

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

View PostJanichsan, on June 30th 2008, 07:13 AM, said:

The best WWII flight sim to date. Period.

Agreed. And cheap like dirt at most major electronics box retailers. Recommended.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#12 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on June 30th 2008, 06:39 PM, said:

How good is the 3rd splinter cell compared to the 1st one.
GET IT NOW!!!
but beware, cos its covered from tip to toe in stupid ass copy protection. Starforce to be precise, which is teh lamest of them all, tantamount to a virus.
Oh, and it BSODs quite frequently too, so save often...

or just get the Xbox version.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#13 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

System Shock 2 - If you liked Bioshock or Deus Ex, try out the granddaddy of the RPG-FPS, and find out why oldschool PC dorks called Bioshock shallow. Ok, technically there are earlier ones than this, but this is one of the best, and also doesn't have a frustratingly old interface like SS1. Other than the dated graphics, it's stood the test of time nicely, methinks.  (Lookit them pointy heads! Any fewer polygons on these guys, and it would be Doom3!)
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#14 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Then you'll like Il-2 Sturmovik – or even better: Il-2 1946, which is the game with all its expansions. The best WWII flight sim to date. Period.
I'll try it then.  I've seen it on the shelf at a few stores for $20.

Planescape: Torment is one of the best games ever.

Planescape:Torment is one of the few games that has actually gone up in price.  I'm not sure you can find a copy for less than $50 or $60, although it may be possible.

I think this is because in addition to being one of the best games ever (not that I've played it, but that's what everyone says), it didn't sell when it first came out.

#15 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

View Postrampancy, on June 30th 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

There is the old open-source port of Homeworld released a few years ago - I tried it out and it works pretty well; lack of sound/movie playback notwithstanding, everything works, even multiplayer

Negative, multiplayer does not work in the open source port of the game.  However, "Skirmish vs CPU" games do work, which fall under the "multiplayer" option in the game.
"Nothing here but us text"

#16 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

I second whoever mentioned Morrowind: GOTY which is just as good as if not better then Oblivion which is one of my favorite games ever. Also I greatly enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale, and Neverwiner Nights. I think BG 2 came out for Mac but have never looked into it. Hmmn. Oh, a game called Disciples Gold 2 which was my first foray into the strategy genre. Oh and playing all of the Backyard sports titles were great while playing through them with my younger brother. That's about the limit of my pre-Bootcamp Windows days though. I'm getting a little nostalgic.  :nods:

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#17 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 28th 2008, 04:47 AM, said:

- Knights of the Old Republic 2.  The original was great, and if you loved that, this should be a no-brainer.  Unfortunately, the game was sold unfinished because the publisher put pressure on the developers to release it in time for the holiday season (if I recall correctly).  Still, it's a great game, and a heck of a lot of fun.
There is still the KOTOR2 restoration project going on, it might release soon. Also, obsidian is doing atleast two new rpgs, and since NWN2 released for mac, maybe they'll do the others too?

Oh and I liked Dawn Of War, including the latest expansions. And theres a sequel coming, maybe some hope left?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#18 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 28th 2008, 03:47 AM, said:

- Half Life 2 (and the episodic sequels).  Assuming that you have a decent GPU, just buy the Orange Box--you'll get the Half Life 2 series, Team Fortress 2, and Portal for the price of one game.  A word of advice: ignore the original Half Life--it's been slaughtered by the beast of time (much to my disappointment when I played it three years ago).  In all honesty, while playing the original game eliminates a couple of questions that you'll probably pose if you jump straight into the sequel (like, "what's Black Mesa, and why do I have a crowbar?") the answers aren't worth the primitive gameplay experience.  If you absolutely must know what happened, go ahead and play the original--just don't say that I didn't warn you.

Don't forget the Black Mesa Mod for HL2 will be out 'soon' - bringing that original HL1 gameplay to the world of shiny graphics!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#19 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

Read post 3.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#20 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

Also I greatly enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale, and Neverwiner Nights. I think BG 2 came out for Mac but have never looked into it.

All the games you mentioned have mac versions.  The OSX version of BG2 has some unresolved bugs, however.  I don't think there was a mac version of Icewind Dale 2.