Diablo III (was: New game from Blizzard?)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

Well.. I've always loved Blizzards small teasers, before the announcement of their games. The color palette of this one screams Wrath Of THe Lich King, but it would be strange for them to tease it like this.. It isnt really a secret! :)

Of course  my heart wants a Diablo III, but the world stone is red and not blue.. Hell froze over prehaps? ^_^
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hmm... I doubt it's the Wrath of the Lychee King, since that's already officially announced and Blizzard usually don't do this mystery teaser thingy for already announced games. At least they didn't in the past.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's really Diablo III, I actually hope for something completely new.

I guess we'll know by the end of this week: there is some official "Blizzard Entertainment Worldwide Inivtational" in Paris on June 28 and 29.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

Isn't Lich King pretty close to being released?  The colors really scream out "Northrend" to me.

I'd love to see a new Blizzard game, though.

#4 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

I'm doubtful as to how close Lich King is to be released. Before Burning Crusade they had a long, and I mean LONG, period building up hype with plenty of information of all the new areas, all new talent trees, all new spells, the new races, all new factions, a lot of the new gear and then some revealed before the expansion finally came. With Lich King the information is still pretty sparse, and if you look at the sites... StarCraft II actually has more food on its bones information wise.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#5 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

Apparently Blizzard did the same thing when they announced World of Warcraft. The splash screen was of a starfield so everyone thought it was going to be Starcraft II, but it turned out being WOW. They were probably intentionally trying to throw people off. It could be the case here as well. So Diablo III is a possibility considering they were given the domain name diablo3.com from a Diablo fansite last month.

#6 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

I personally hope they start making original games again and not just rehashing old ones. What the hell is up with all older developers. Just because they have money to burn, they keep making better versions of older crap. (I love starcraft/warcraft/diablo, but this is going wrong)

The only developer I can think of now, that has "got it made" and still makes original stuff, is Rockstar. Of course, they have GTA xxxxxx but atleast they make other things on the side.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#7 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Manhunt 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Grand Theft Auto IV
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Midnight Club: Los Angeles Remix

The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
Boarderlands
Civilization IV: Colonization
Civilization Revolution
BioShock 2
Mafia II

From Wikipedia, recent and upcoming games from Rockstar and Take Two, respectively. They're hardly pushing the boundaries on 'original'.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on June 23rd 2008, 07:30 PM, said:

I personally hope they start making original games again and not just rehashing old ones. What the hell is up with all older developers. Just because they have money to burn, they keep making better versions of older crap. (I love starcraft/warcraft/diablo, but this is going wrong)
Well, personally I really love the worlds (Not just, WOW, muha) that they have created. Large, diverse, deep and with an enormeous amount of background material. Why not explore that?

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

Perhaps it's Starcraft II beta / release date information? The SC2 logo has a similar blueish hue...

#10 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Blizzard's been running the same few franchises for a long time, but they've done a remarkable job of making each new installment a significantly new experience.

That said, I feel like they've slipped in the past few years, as the behemoth that is WoW seems to have entirely consumed their attention.  Their history of released games goes something like:

'94: Warcraft
'95: Warcraft 2
'96: Diablo
'97: Starcraft
'98: SC expansion
'00: Diablo 2
'01: D2 expansion
'02: Warcraft 3
'03: WC3 expansion
'04: WoW
'05, '06, '07, '08: four years of more WoW

...bleh, at that last part.

And with the info I've seen on Starcraft 2 so far, it's looking very...I think 'stagnant' is the word.  No indication of the kind of significant new ideas that we used to be able to expect from Blizzard in their sequels.

It would be great to see them making something truly new.

#11 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

That's the thing. Big companies have problems innovating on existing IPs, out of fear of "fan reprisal". It should actually provide grounds for making new stuff, but apparently, it doesn't.

Money > creativity.
QC.

#12 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

It's totally World of Lost Vikings. Not really that much different from WoW, except there's only one race, and only three classes.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#13 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

View Postnobody, on June 23rd 2008, 10:31 PM, said:

It's totally World of Lost Vikings. Not really that much different from WoW, except there's only one race, and only three classes.

And a maximum guild size of 3
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#14 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

I'm adding my $0.02. It's a unannounced race in Starcraft II. The blue bug thing, right?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#15 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on June 23rd 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

I'm adding my $0.02. It's a unannounced race in Starcraft II. The blue bug thing, right?

Blue bug thing? It would be surprising, given how much they've insisted they don't want to stray that far from the format of the original. It would make me happy though - I'd rather they pushed the game farther rather than pandering to the 'cry-at-every-change' multiplayer base, but of course that's their bread-and-butter, and I'll probably still like it either way.

I find it hard to believe that it's not related to the new WoW expansion, given the ice theme and all. Except that it would be totally weird to do the suspense-announcement thing at this point.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#16 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

I looked at the page source and it says it's an ice field, so probably WotLC info, but if it's not that it has to be an unannounced game.
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#17 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

Don't they have enough money already? I wish they'd atleast do Starcraft : Ghost. With coop multiplayer. And the UT3 engine.
QC.

#18 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

With the ice, I think it does have something to do with WotLC.  I think the teaser is for the announcement of the WotLC street date.

#19 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

I still don't buy the Lich King Street Date Theory. Blizzard releases their games on a "When They're Done" timetable, and since I haven't heard anything about Lich King betas being well underway (or underway at all) that would be like announcing you're gonna go poop on a specific time stricly on the basis that you just started to eat. Blizzard doesn't announce they're gonna poop until they're ready to burst.

***END MESSAGE***

#20 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Actually, todays update of the teaser includes a rune from Diablo... AND, if you look in the CSS file, there are some hidden clues that everyone thinks points to D3!