What are the best Mac Turn Based Strategy Games?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

View PostSparky9292, on June 16th 2008, 12:53 AM, said:

I'm normally a RTS person, but this was the game that convinced me of how a turn based system could be fun. It's actually better than turn based in that both players set up the commands in advance at the same time, and then watch the action in real time.

Actually, Starchamber, the game I joined this forum to help Soxford promote is simultaneous turn based (and it in OSX on intel).  If you haven't seen it, you should check out the discussion in his Starchamber thread.  I agree simultaneous turns are great.  They are a large reason why I now play that game over other strategy games.  You can play 3 online games of it in the time it takes to play 1 of Wesnoth (another of my old fave's currently neglected)

Anyone remember Robosport?  That was another great game that used simultaneous turns.  I would love to play that game again, but haven't been able to get it to run under classic or sheepshaver though.

The one time when I like non-simultaneous turn multiplayer is when you are playing Hot Seat, and you want to get something else done.  The Heroes of MM games are some of the few strategy games that my wife likes, and we can play a hot seat game while we are doing housework.  Although she sometimes complains that my turns take longer than hers.  :)

On the topic of Massive Assult/Domination,  I went to the website for Domination and it says "Note: Currently not compatible with ATI Radeon HD2600, pending Apple driver updates"  Go fig, thats the video card built into my Imac.  They don't seem to have a demo of the game that I can test it with either.
Try my award winning space strategy game Constellation.
Visit: http://www.paperdragongames.com

#22 orca

orca

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

View Postmattness, on June 14th 2008, 10:50 AM, said:

My favorite Civ game was Sid Meirs Alpha Centauri and I still play it on occasion.  I haven't tried the OSX port since I've upgraded to intel though, so I don't know if it works.  I hope it does...

It runs quite well on my MacBook Pro! SMAC is still one of my favorites, along with Master of Orion II. I enjoy Civ3 too, but it's actually easier to use on my Windows laptop since it doesn't require a disc.

#23 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

Card games don't count. ;D
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#24 Sparky9292

Sparky9292

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on June 16th 2008, 08:52 AM, said:

AK runs on OSX? Really?? Can anyone confirm this? I'll buy it in a second of true. Beyond Overlord is one of my favourite all time Mac games, ever. I loved that game and think I played that more than any other game on my Mac in the day.

EDIT ... Nope.

"Since this game is still based on the original Combat Mission code which was designed to run on Rave3D and that API is not currently supported in OS-X, CMAK will not run in native OS-X mode. In all likelihood it will also not work in classic mode either but we can not predict what changes Apple may make with Classic Rave3D support between now and the time CMAK is released. Either way, OS-X in native or classic mode is NOT supported. The aforementioned CMX2 engine WILL support OS-X."

Yeah, he got my hopes up for a second.  Nope.  the developers have said just as much on their forums: They were pissed that they had spent months of hard work porting Beyond Overlord to OS9 and then about a year after it was released, OSX came out.  There was very little demand for the OS9 version as well, and the official statement: Get a Windows Machine if you want to play our game.

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

View PostSparky9292, on June 17th 2008, 09:54 PM, said:

Yeah, he got my hopes up for a second.  Nope.  the developers have said just as much on their forums: They were pissed that they had spent months of hard work porting Beyond Overlord to OS9 and then about a year after it was released, OSX came out.
They should blame themselves: Apple has adopted OpenGL long before MacOS X even was announced and has always stated that this is graphics API of the future – not Rave.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on June 17th 2008, 03:41 PM, said:

Card games don't count. ;D

You're a tough nut to crack QuantaCat!  Starchamber is a hybrid game, and is just as much if not more of a 4X strategy game than it is a card game.  You'd think this would attract people who like either of those genres.... instead it repels strategy gamers who think its a card game.  It does attract card gamers who try it, find out its a 4X strategy game in disguise, then leave because 4X strategy is too tough for them.

We need more of you strategy people!

Afrika Korps sounds fun too... its too bad it doesn't work on OSX

#27 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

I am one of the strategy peoples. How can you not get this? I'm messing with you, cross-threaded.

I love card games, I just don't like the trading bit of trading card games. Since that usually means more money = better decks.

But other than that. MP computer card games sound good. But I doubt I'd rather sit in front of a computer on a lan party, than an actual deck.
QC.

#28 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

View PostZak, on June 13th 2008, 11:11 AM, said:

Hmm.  In retrospect, I'm too harsh on VP.  They actually produced beautiful ports of Spartan and Gates of Troy (two other fantastic turn-based strategy games, especially if you like ancient Greek culture and pseudo-civilization style gameplay).  So that suggests that VP was handed a huge file of messy code, and tried to make the best of the situation.

Still, I did really enjoy Massive Assault.  Has anyone purchased Domination, and can they give us a brief review/assurance that the quality issues that plagued MA have been worked out?

I love Spartan & GoT.  You can actually transfer the scenario files from Spartan into GoT and never open Spartan again.  However, both are unplayable now because of a black terrain bug that developed through OSX updates and VP no longer porting/selling/supporting Slitherine games.  It's really unfortunate because I loved playing GoT.  I suppose I could methodically revert my OS, but not for one game.

I do have Domination, and it is a much better port than Massive Assault.  Domination runs very well on my Intel iMac.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#29 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on June 18th 2008, 03:37 AM, said:

I love card games, I just don't like the trading bit of trading card games. Since that usually means more money = better decks.

This I agree with.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#30 Jude

Jude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

Sorry about the Combat Mission Afrika Korps mistake.  I just boot into OS 9 to play any of the three CM games I own, but I had thought I remembered that the 3rd one wouldn't be based on Rave, although the first 2 were.  There was talk about a new engine for the later games that would work under OS X, but I guess it never happened, and instead they just dropped the Mac.

She, BTW.  ;)

@ Mattness:  Yeah Robosport was a great little tactical strategy game.  I used to play it on my old Powerbook 100.  The people looked like ants, though!

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com

#31 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on June 18th 2008, 03:37 AM, said:

I am one of the strategy peoples. How can you not get this? I'm messing with you, cross-threaded.

But other than that. MP computer card games sound good. But I doubt I'd rather sit in front of a computer on a lan party, than an actual deck.

Heya Cat,

I realize you're messing with me.  I'm still trying to convince you to join!  If you can convince you're loudest heckler....

For what its worth I agree with you on the price of most CCGs...  I used to play Magic the Gathering, and that was a drain on the wallet.  StarChamber is pretty cheap though.  I have only spent about $150 on it spread out over the 2 plus years I have been playing, and I love the game enough to advertise it on another forum.  Due to the length of time the game has been out, and the small number of sets and dedicated community, card prices are very cheap.  We all give away common cards for free to new players, and uncommon cards average about 15 cents apiece from a reseller.  You can make a constructed tournament worthy Clave (one of the races that is known for having some of the best common and uncommon cards) deck for under $10.  

Lastly, I have to say that while its true that better cards can give you a small advantage in constructed tournaments, a skilled player with a basic starter deck will almost always beat a poor strategic player with the nastiest tournament deck around.  I have never lost a game where I felt it was because my opponent had better cards than me.... I always feel that I made a strategic error, or that they just played better than I did.

If you do plan to play the game, and want to go the cheap route.  (Which I recommend)  I  would get a $10 registration... this allows you to trade (so people can give you free commons) and play multiplayer games.  I also recommend trying the single player campaigns which cost about $7 each, are fun to play, let you use all the cards in the game, and give you packs when you complete them.  They are a great way to dip your toe into the game, but multiplayer is definitely the most fun.  

Cheers,

mattness

#32 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Still. Why this game, and not Magic Online? The cards will be "lost" anyway, or is there an actual way to order your cards into real live ones? (along with board)

Because as soon as there is, I'm there. Otherwise, I rarely play online, and definitely not MMOs. (It's probably much smaller scale, but still)
QC.

#33 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on June 19th 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Still. Why this game, and not Magic Online? The cards will be "lost" anyway, or is there an actual way to order your cards into real live ones? (along with board)

Because as soon as there is, I'm there. Otherwise, I rarely play online, and definitely not MMOs. (It's probably much smaller scale, but still)

I too love physical board/card strategy games, and have plenty of them that I enjoy playing.  Unfortunately, my wife and most of our local friends aren't into strategy games.  I missed playing Magic with my college buddies, and actually wanted to join Magic Online, but it wasn't available for Mac which is why I gave Starchamber a shot after reading its review on img.    I convinced my brother (who lives half a country away) and several of my distant friends to join.  At first I mostly played them online, but soon discovered what a great group of people play this game.  I still play my Bro and distant friends, but have made a number of new ones through the game.

There is no physical version of Starchamber.  There would be so much math and dice rolling involved that any physical version would be extremely cumbersome to play.  I used to love to play the physical boardgame Risk as a kid... until I played the computer version and discovered that a 3 hour game could be played in 5 minutes with the computer doing the calculation.  

Starchamber was designed to be exclusively a computer game, and as such has many advantages over Magic online.

1:   Having now tried Magic online, I realize how poorly suited a game it is to being played online.  On your turn every time you play a card, you have to wait to see if your opponent will play a card in response to that.  This is easy playing physically, but is very annoying in a computer game.  Lots of extra clicking.  Starchamber has simultaneous turns with no response cards, and the game flows much smoother on the computer.

2:  If a card turns out to be too powerfull, it can be fixed or "nerfed".  This makes the game a lot more balanced and fixed any truely abusive cards.  This would be impossible to do if the game also existed in printed form short of banning cards or adding cumbersome errata.

3.  The board play aspect makes it impossible to lose a game by bad luck in card draws.  In Magic, because land cards are in your deck, many games are won by one person being "mana screwed" where they draw either too little, too much, or the wrong color land.  In Starchamber this is fixed.  You get regular "tech" increases on certain turns with which to play your cards, and can gain additional tech by capturing artifact planets.  You are never completely powerless in the game.

Convinced yet?  :)

#34 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

So basically, it's magic with GMs?

Yes. Sounds fun. Now about the price.. :D

Not now, not yet atleast. But it sounds ok.
QC.

#35 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

View PostJude, on June 18th 2008, 10:09 AM, said:

@ Mattness:  Yeah Robosport was a great little tactical strategy game.  I used to play it on my old Powerbook 100.  The people looked like ants, though!

Jude

Yeah, the graphics were pretty bad, but I find I long for the days of bad graphics, but cool game ideas.   Nowadays I think most commercial games have sacrificed innovation and gameplay for good graphics.  I would love a remake of this game.

#36 mattness

mattness

Paper Dragon Games

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on June 19th 2008, 07:58 PM, said:

So basically, it's magic with GMs?

Yes. Sounds fun. Now about the price.. :D

Not now, not yet atleast. But it sounds ok.

More like Magic and Master of Orion's love child who shares all of the best features of the parents, and few of the bad ones.

Thanks for considering it.

-Mattness

#37 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

"The aforementioned CMX2 engine WILL support OS-X"

yeah, right.  like they ever developed any games using this engine.

i found their attitude childish.   i would have scarfed up a lot of their titles, but not now.

#38 Sparky9292

Sparky9292

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

View Postfabforrest, on June 26th 2008, 09:11 PM, said:

"The aforementioned CMX2 engine WILL support OS-X"

yeah, right.  like they ever developed any games using this engine.

i found their attitude childish.   i would have scarfed up a lot of their titles, but not now.

Well, the game is quite good.  I would install Bootcamp or even Parallels (it supports 3D well enough for CM) to play it.

#39 dorkhero

dorkhero

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

View Postmattness, on June 14th 2008, 11:50 AM, said:

I do of course like the Civ series, but have yet to try CivIV.  As I've said in previous posts, I have had bad luck with 3d engines in Strategy games. That and reports of it bogging down make me reluctant to purchase it.  My favorite Civ game was Sid Meirs Alpha Centauri and I still play it on occasion.  I haven't tried the OSX port since I've upgraded to intel though, so I don't know if it works.  I hope it does...   I am intrigued by Massive Assault.  I seem to have missed that one.  Anyone know how well it runs on Intel?

-mattness

Massive Assault does NOT like Intel Macs. This fact is acknowledged in VPs forums. They have no plans for a Universal update. They would prefer us to purchase Domination. Does the Windows version of Massive Assault run in Boot Camp/Parallels/Fusion/Crossover/Darwine? I don't know. I have not tried it yet. I have a retail version of the Windows version of Massive Assault sitting on one of my bookshelves right now. I just have not gotten around to trying to make it work. I've been focusing on getting Strike Fighters or Wings Over Vietnam working.

#40 viKKing

viKKing

Psychic Software

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:22 AM

Simultaneous Online turn based game: Darkwind: War On Wheels. Free with limited features. :happy:

Turn based tactical game: UFO: Alien Invasion, inspired from XCom, free.

Combat Mission: Shock Force - I tried the demo, but ran into severe problem with my 2006 iMac (1.87 Ghz, 1.5 Gb RAM, and Radeon X1600). The game freeze, causing a hard reboot on XP. The Os X port is yet officially announced after the release of the first add on.
Battlefront developpers are in the business for a very long time, they made the Flight Commander 2 game under Avallon Hill license, and it was already Mac/Windows.
/viKKing
Contributor,
Darkwind: War On Wheels