23 replies to this topic

#21 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Personally I like saving saves inside a preference file in ~/Library/Preferences/

That's where the stuff I'm responsible for puts things.  I'm quite happy with it.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#22 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

The guidelines say you should use Application Support rather than Preferences if you have more than one file, but meh.

#23 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

View PostTesseract, on July 12th 2008, 05:24 AM, said:

The guidelines say you should use Application Support rather than Preferences if you have more than one file, but meh.

Yeah but the Apple guidelines are full of contradictions, not to mention I can remember two WWDC's in recent memory with Apple presentations saying put stuff in the documents folder. Although I see the idea behind app support folder I think anything small and preferences like is better off in preferences.

Just like Hippieman stated (about Freeverse stuff) everything we do at Feral we use something similar. What we files we do create go into a standard format and file structure.

Preferences/[ORIGINAL_PUBLISHER]/[GAME_NAME]/

So for example for Tomb Raider Anniversary we have a folder

Preferences/Eidos/Tomb Raider Anniversary/

inside this folder all things to-do with TRA are stored.

This has been standard format and practice since I think Black & White, this method has worked great for 5+ years and we have had no major complaints. We had a struggle over "Movie" saves from "The Movies" but in the end we decided to place an alias to the movies folder from the application folder to inside the preferences as I thought fake movies files and a folder structure would be unwelcome in the movies folder. I know I keep mine organized and I hate it when an app without asking sprays files all over.

Then again if a file is in Documents it is more visible and easier for average joe to copy it, back it up or even send it to a friend.

Edwin

#24 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

How about a tab on the front end for saves / supporting data? It could show the paths, and have an "Open this folder" button. Only useful if "the average joe" actually needs access to that data though.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.