12 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Inside Mac Games has posted a review of the much-anticipated port of Fable: The Lost Chapters from Feral Interactive. Here's a clip from the review:

Thankfully, the main gameplay of F:LC is extremely entertaining if you simply ignore the alignment system. This is mainly due to the simplicity of the fighting mechanics. Regardless of which fighting style you choose (melee, ranged, or magic), the controls are quite easy to master and feel very intuitive. By the end of the first few hours, you'll find yourself pulling off the decapitating bow sneak attacks and melee flourishes with ease. The magic spells are also quite balanced as a separate discipline, although you can easily break every boss in the game if you combine the magic spells with the ranged skills. (Hint: Slow Time plus Multishot + excellent bow) No matter how many times I charged into the center of a group of bandits, it still was just as fun to slaughter them all without taking a single hit.
Follow the link below to read the full review.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

after a quick skim read, looks like a fairly good review.

my one problem is with the conclusion:

"The price ($50) is also a little steep for thirty or so hours of gameplay."

considering that Gears of War runs in at around 6 hours max, Luigi's Mansion had around 12 hours etc. etc. etc. the only way youre gonna get more than 30 hours gameplay is if youre playing GTA, a racing game or a different RPG which isnt as hacky and slashy as Fable... such as Oblivion or something like that.

30 hours is good value for $50.
$50 is not good value for a game which is 3 years old and can be found in bargain bins for closer to $10 on PC or Xbox. But thats the consequence of a long and troubled development process.

despite that, I expect that I might pick this game up some point in the near future.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

This was released?!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#4 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

How have people not realised this is out yet?

Speaking of problems with the conclusion, I fail to see the relevance of moral issues affecting children. Polygamy is all kids have to worry about in games these days?
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#5 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

View Postcharmin, on May 30th 2008, 06:16 PM, said:

How have people not realised this is out yet?

Speaking of problems with the conclusion, I fail to see the relevance of moral issues affecting children. Polygamy is all kids have to worry about in games these days?

He seemed to be referring to wife-murdering rather than than wife-collecting. "you can kill your wife without penalty." I'd keep that away from my young kids if I had any!

And it's a warning worth mentioning, when you ARE a kid in the game. Many parents would assume it's a great game for young kids.

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Well, to be fair, I think Feral's publicity could be kicked up a notch or two.  They seem a bit laid-back about their releases.

--Eric

#7 calroth

calroth

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

View Postnagromme, on May 31st 2008, 09:46 AM, said:

He seemed to be referring to wife-murdering rather than than wife-collecting. "you can kill your wife without penalty." I'd keep that away from my young kids if I had any!
You can kill all sorts of people in the game without "penalty". Now, killing your wife is bad. But let's review: killing anybody is bad. Will this stop you (or your young kids) playing games?

#8 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:03 AM

Well yes. If it can be avoided.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#9 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

View Postcalroth, on May 30th 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

You can kill all sorts of people in the game without "penalty"
I'm pretty sure it turns your character dark and dangerous-looking, so it's hardly 'without penalty'. At least no worse than watching celebrity murder trials on Nancy Grace. That is soul-sucking.

#10 Franklin Pride

Franklin Pride

MacGameCast Host

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:37 AM

Well, not really. If you have the holy armor to wear, you don't get any noticeable changes. After all, your evilness has a cap, and the holy armor is actually stronger than the cap. In the end, the only penalties are the ones involving the town guard. As such, if you're with the victims in a secluded room, there's no penalty at all for killing them.

The thing is, you'll only be in that situation with your wife/husband. Anyone else tends to yell for the guards if you're in their home for more than a few seconds. As such, you'll tend to either get killed or spend a while ducking the guard when you're killing anyone else.

Fable was fun enough so that I only came away with the impression that it was slightly overpriced. However, I consider anything over $40 overpriced on general principle. After all, I can get the complete Diablo Battle Chest for $40, StarCraft for $20, and almost anything else for $40 or less.

#11 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:58 AM

Release date for Starcraft:

Mac OS
NA March 1999

I'd bloody hope it's not $40 anymore.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#12 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Still not available at the Apple Store. Seems that if Feral could get copies into the Apple Store they'd fly off the shelves. One of these days I'm just going to break down and order this through Amazon because I think it looks like an amazing game.

#13 Lectrick

Lectrick

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

View PostRev-O, on May 31st 2008, 09:40 AM, said:

Still not available at the Apple Store. Seems that if Feral could get copies into the Apple Store they'd fly off the shelves. One of these days I'm just going to break down and order this through Amazon because I think it looks like an amazing game.

It is totally fun (I thought). It was just a little bit linear. The gameplay was very very fun and you could choose whatever hybrid of melee, ranged and spellcaster to excel at that you wanted, merely by using those abilities. I wish all games had that kind of model. The only recent Mac game that was like this was Dungeon Siege.