#1 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

I got this game from the a mac shop (iStudio) along with 2 other games. It has got to be the LEAST of the other 2 I've played (Colin McRae was the best of the 3... damn addicting). And why?

Well the graphics for one, are so 1990's. That would be alright though -- HAD THE CONTROLS WORKED.

Now I have 3 game controllers pluged into my mac: 2 rumblepads and a G25 steering wheel. This obviously confuses the game. So I have to unplug the other 2 game controllers and restart the game. OK, now my rumble pad works -- well sorta (remember -- this is even using the latest patch for OIF, v1.04). The game maps the most useless functions to the buttons of the rumblepad so you get buttons 2,3 and 4 acting like air-to-air ordnance -- all 3 buttons for 1 function. There is no fire button mapped. There is no air-ground or canon ordnance selection mapped. No radar button mapped. Infact, the only useful thing that a rumblepad can do for the whole game is control movement -- and not even thrust or speed at that.

I assume you're to go out and shell out more money on Flight Sticks (NOT joysticks as the game misconceives) just so you can get a bit more feel for it. No thanks. To be honest, this is what Colin McRae Rally mac had me do -- but I have to say that CMR was SO good it got me getting the rumblepads AND the steering wheel because well -- that game ran just so nicely, graphics and all and I've no regrets shelling out to complete the simulation experience. FA-18 unfortunately doesn't boast of graphics or gameplay exciting enough for me to even think of getting-yet-another-game-controller. The rumblepads are fairly commonplace, so they should have been supported.

So unless Graphsim makes my controllers work, it looks like this game will remain forgotten (that is, until I have enough time to train to fly the thing) and unrecommended.
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

You play a flight sim with a gamepad? Weird.

However, F/A-18 OIF never really was a good game – always plagued with problems and a rather unpassionately hacked together, being basically nothing but a three (or four?) year old game sold as "new". (It's not much more than its predecessor ported to MacOS X.)

By the way: that a game is "confused" by more than one connected USB controller happens on a regular basis. You'll see this in a lot of games.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

View PostJanichsan, on May 26th 2008, 10:29 PM, said:

You play a flight sim with a gamepad? Weird.

However, F/A-18 OIF never really was a good game – always plagued with problems and a rather unpassionately hacked together, being basically nothing but a three (or four?) year old game sold as "new". (It's not much more than its predecessor ported to MacOS X.)

By the way: that a game is "confused" by more than one connected USB controller happens on a regular basis. You'll see this in a lot of games.

Well, I might just get a flightstick when a decent air combat sim (arcade-like) comes out on the mac. I was thinking of getting XPlane but eh.. there's no air combat in that and come to think of it I probably would rather be pumping adrenaline in a rally race than waiting hours on autopilot for a bird to get sucked into my turbines.

As for games being confused with controllers -- if the game was built properly it won't be. I've seen this in Colin McRae and a couple of other games where the game will let you select a particular controller that is connected (however, if you pull out the controller in the middle of the game it will go wacky). These games even let you custom configure your controls -- as expected of most games.
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM