#161 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

View Postjgwdoc, on January 15th 2009, 10:20 AM, said:

Does anybody actually know the answer to my original question: does the uninstall process delete your saved games?
The saved games are saved in "Documents" or "My Documents," but I only reinstall my system, I rarely uninstall games unless they aren't working (in which case I don't need the save games).

#162 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

View PostJ, on January 15th 2009, 08:19 AM, said:

The saved games are saved in "Documents" or "My Documents," but I only reinstall my system, I rarely uninstall games unless they aren't working (in which case I don't need the save games).

That would be my approach in OSX, but with Vista taking up 40GB of my 60GB partition, and ME another 10 or so, I can't really keep everything on. I expect I'll resize the partition when CampTune is out of beta.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#163 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Another route you could take (and one Ive resorted to a number of times) is to copy the actual game folder to an external drive, then delete it in windows and proceed to play a different game.
When you want to return you can either run it of the external drive (just modify where the shortcuts point to in their preferences) or drag it back across.

A simple OS X like solution to a potentially messy Windows problem.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#164 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

View Postteflon, on January 15th 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

Another route you could take (and one Ive resorted to a number of times) is to copy the actual game folder to an external drive, then delete it in windows and proceed to play a different game.
When you want to return you can either run it of the external drive (just modify where the shortcuts point to in their preferences) or drag it back across.

How is that an "OS X" like solution?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#165 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

View Postteflon, on January 15th 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

That's obviously a good plan, but you'll laugh to hear that I've never even checked out if my CD burning works under Windows. I guess this'll be a chance to try.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#166 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

View Postbobbob, on January 14th 2009, 04:28 AM, said:

blowing the 8800GT out of the water[/url] as far as hyperbole is concerned. Mixing DX9 and DX10, different quality settings beyond that, etc. makes it quite impossible to say just how you're limited from one comparison, too.

I'm very much aware that the GTX 260 is a much superior card then the 8800 GT. What I said is that it was very limited by the CPU is this trial (the CPU being an E8400, standard clock), and yes I agree that DX 9 and 10 are very different from a hardware standpoint but visually the games looked pretty much the same. All of the main textures (like terrain, water, characters, and shadows) were set on high on both machines, with the 260 having about 3 more minor settings on high vs. the 8800.

Also if your trying to show how much better the 260 is over the 8800 you should probably pick a different page as It only beats the 8800 by under 2 fps in that benchmark ;) . I think this is the page you wanted, as it shows the point that the 260 is much better then the 8800 (which everyone already knows) and it is more relevant to the test that I did.

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#167 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 15th 2009, 10:47 PM, said:

How is that an "OS X" like solution?

because its drag and drop within the 'finder' instead of using an (un)installer.
Using basic file management techniques which are so commonly utilised in OSX, instead of the hidden away nature which Windows is based on. I wouldnt be surprised if theres a fairly large number of people who have never ventured into "Program Files", whilst one of the first things you have to learn on a mac is how to get around the hard drive.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#168 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

View Postteflon, on January 16th 2009, 05:54 PM, said:

I wouldnt be surprised if theres a fairly large number of people who have never ventured into "Program Files", whilst one of the first things you have to learn on a mac is how to get around the hard drive.
I agree with your point and I'll one-up you . ..  

In Vista / Windows 7 64-bit versions you have all the data that mysteriously is hidden in C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data being hidden in C:\users\%user%\App Data OR randomly going to C:\ProgramData (which is a hidden folder) and ONLY if a program is 64 bit does it go to C:\Program Files . . . if not, it goes to C:\Program Files (x86).  

ALSO the C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Start Menu\Programs stuff is now in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, which as I said "ProgramData" is a hidden folder.  

All-in-all, navigating the myriad of hidden folders in Windows has never been worse.

#169 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

oh yeah, that too. I was mainly just talking about the primary application data, which is 99% of the time in Program files (x86 or not).
But the save files get dropped in so many different places, some hidden, some not, some in your user's directory, others in the general directory, less within the program folder... the list goes on.
At least in OSX you can be sure that its in one of a few rather obvious places. The game's directory (on older titles), Documents (again, mainly older titles), Application Support (Aspyr and Macsoft) or Preferences (Feral). And seeing as its only really Feral who are releasing games these days, you better just check the Preferences folder. Much easier to remember/find again.

#170 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

I'll chime in, and agree with the whole windows saved file thing. I was recently trying to find all my saves from various games (as I was reinstalling bootcamp) and it took me a while, but I managed it. Its all a bit silly, because some are in documents, and some seemed to be in shared documents, and some were in "My games" in documents, etc etc.

I suppose you could say the same is true of OSX, the saves are in a few different places, but those places are more accessible and intuitive in my opinion.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#171 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

I just finished this game and all I could say was "holy s&!t !!". Immediately hit the new career button for round two in veteran difficulty. I guess my only complaint was the shortness of the game, I beat it in normal in about 15 hours.

Are all of Bioware's game like this? (meaning amazing storyline, incredibly epic). If so, I looking forward to Dragon Age later this year and Mass Effect 2 whenever it comes out.

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#172 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on February 19th 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

Are all of Bioware's game like this? (meaning amazing storyline, incredibly epic). If so, I looking forward to Dragon Age later this year and Mass Effect 2 whenever it comes out.
-Snake

KOTOR 1 is a freaking blast!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#173 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on February 18th 2009, 05:51 PM, said:

I guess my only complaint was the shortness of the game, I beat it in normal in about 15 hours.

im going to guess that you didnt get most of the achievements/do most of the side quests if you put it away in 15 hours.  Im a completionist, and it took me more like 45 hours to do all the side-quests.

But yes, for the most part, Bioware's games are like this.

#174 Floxwoop

Floxwoop

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

A Mass Effect 2 teaser has just been released.  :blink: I already have that must-play-this-game feeling.

Linky: http://masseffect.bi...aser/index.html

#175 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Shephard dead right off?  Ouchu.

#176 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

It took me 29 hours and 27 minutes on my first playthrough. I did as many sidequests as possible, but I did miss a few. (Mostly your friends sidequests, which are only unlocked after a lot of dialogue. I only did 2 of them.) I also hit level 47. (Cap is 50 on 1st playthrough.) So I was happy with that. I intend to play through again, most likely with my same character (standard soldier) as I had a lot of fun. But I also might go for a Vanguard character, perhaps with an added Assault Rifle talent. That would be pretty badass.

Glad to hear you had such a good time Snaky Snake. I was really impressed with ME's storyline as well. Quite fun and immerse. And I'll second KOTOR's awesomeness. However I didn't like KOTOR II. It was really freaking slow. You spend like several hours running around that broken ship in the beginning. It drove me nuts.

Anyway, in regards to the teaser trailer for ME 2, I really doubt Shepard is dead. Bioware already said you can import your character from ME, which is Shepard, and the teaser saying he is KIA is probably some sort of story setup. Maybe ME 2 starts off with you in trouble or something. Just a speculation, but seems probable.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#177 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Ha, the ultimate solution to character importing difficulties - kill them off right at the start ;)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#178 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

yeah, itd be like at the beginning of Metroid Prime or something where you have all of your powers and abilities only for them to be stripped off you within half an hour... Except that they kill you and make you create a new character.

#179 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

I would've liked to see a bit more of the games plot in the teaser. All you really know is that shepard is dead and the geth are back (duh)

-Snake

#180 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

more to the point, the Geth never left.  

the novels point out that the war against the Geth incursion is still going on for months+ after the game ends.  And theyre written by the guy who wrote the story for the game (works for Bioware).  

Just because the bad guy(s) were stopped at the end of ME doesnt mean the Geth just all of a sudden vanished off of the dozens of planets they'd invaded/set up bases on.  

I'm guessing the following, actualy, from having read the novels:

Shepherd is dead as a doornail.  

then Cerberus ressurects you somehow (via illegal cloning, AI reconstruction of some sort, or just outright bizzare-alien-tech ressurection) and tries to force you to do their bidding.  Though they are only part of some sub-plots in ME1, the novels focus on Cerberus and its obvious Drew K (the writer for ME) plans to use them quite a bit more.  And theyre into all sorts of illegal research, development, and uncovering and adapting/perverting alien tech.  

Thus you start over at a low level, because you're only kinda-Shepherd.  Memory loss/whatever.

another point: Bioware never said you could import your character directly from ME1 to ME2 - merely warned not to throw your saves away, as they would be imported into ME2 and have an effect on the game (most likely, so the game continues with the ending you chose, the people that you let die are still dead, etc)

edit:  and even if they let you straight-import your character, the "scaling" nature of ME (the enemies are always the same level as you) means that if they "reset" your character to a new "level 1" that it just represents that this new "level 1" is where you left off in the last game.  I'd do it by keeping abilities you had (like, if your Shep was a soldier, your new level 1 ME2 Shep has a block of skills at the top of the sheet that are already maxed out, that never advance again, and now there is a new block of 6-10 new skills below that that are the skills you will advance in ME2, and all that really changes is what your old base-class was and what you decide to run with in ME2 - your old class determines your "starting abilities" and your new class determines what you advance in ME2).  

just some thoughts.