107 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Yanovich

Michael Yanovich

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Yowza... any news on when Mac patch should be ready? I dread spending my 3-day weekend without an opportunity to frag some Strogg.... and the 1.4 servers are ghost towns.

#22 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

Well, I just spent my half hour playing the really moronic bots again. Sigh. Maybe I should update so I can play on the live servers..
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#23 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

Missed you again!

I'm able to join just fine for whatever reason.

I allow up to 10 players now (was 16, but someone suggested I might not have the bandwidth). But I only fill up to 8 with bots. It's kind of a casual server for newbies, as I see it. And people seem to be using it that way--exploring solo and learning the ropes until someone else shows up.

Someone should fire up a more hard-core 1.4 server too. On a holiday weekend there should be enough players I would hope!

#24 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:45 AM

I believe in the "throw in the sea" kind of approach to learning ETQW. It's really really unrealistic that someone would target this bad. (I watched from a bot viewpoint once, oh god, the horrors!
QC.

#25 TheGreenie

TheGreenie

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on May 24th 2008, 03:45 AM, said:

I believe in the "throw in the sea" kind of approach to learning ETQW. It's really really unrealistic that someone would target this bad. (I watched from a bot viewpoint once, oh god, the horrors!

LOL well apparently the bots are improved in the 1.5 patch... And reading the forums the 1.5 patch isn't without its own bugs apparently... As long as this isn't like quake 4 which I think from memory took about two months from when the PC patch was released to when the mac version was I'll be semi happy and not just buy CoD4 for windows...

Nagromme at least being in a Mac clan means your whole clan disappears for a while when a patch is released...  and based off the latest poll Mac users only make up 4% of the players http://community.ene....php?q=node/258 with 44 votes.

#26 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

4% or LESS of total players I'd say... but MORE than 4% of the noobs :P

I think QuantaCat is talking specifically about the bots on MY server, not QW bots in general. I left them on Easy aiming since people seemed to be enjoying them that way--different strokes for different folks. I upgraded their aim to Normal last night though, with tactics still on Expert. Those are the only 3 settings if you choose Custom.

Has anyone else noticed (not on my server but in general) that in Warmup the bots always start a pool party if water is nearby? Especially in Island, they gather by the dozen paddling around in the water for no reason. Even in Valley a bot will go swimming around the lake for no reason. It cracks me up. Bots act pretty ridiculous during Warmup.

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

then again, so do humans... they always mash the heck out of each other... going for a nice peaceful swim is quite sane in comparison.. but that does sound pretty funny. i might have to buy the game just to see it for myself.

I think that in that poll, mac users are at a pretty huge disadvantage. For one thing, that forum wont cover the whole ETQW player base, secondly, its the most recently released, and many moons after the PC release where it would have had to piggy back to get a decent share. Then theres all the people who bought it for windows to play it on their boot camp partition, and finally, all the people that would wait till a demo is released before making a decision, which is quite a lot really etc. etc.

really, youd need to get the master server's logs to see the true figures for the last month, say.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17378 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

View Postnagromme, on May 24th 2008, 09:09 AM, said:

Has anyone else noticed (not on my server but in general) that in Warmup the bots always start a pool party if water is nearby? Especially in Island, they gather by the dozen paddling around in the water for no reason. Even in Valley a bot will go swimming around the lake for no reason. It cracks me up. Bots act pretty ridiculous during Warmup.
If your only job in life was to die, you'd take any opportunity to party too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

Just a stroke of genius on Splash Damage' behalf, and again, no one here to play with..

Although the bots are quite right, this time. I actually lost to them this time.

Also, I noticed more graphical lag indoors than it used to have. I must note that I switched drivers to the Omega ones, which helped in Assassins Creed, but which, apparently, lag indoors ETQW..
QC.

#30 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

The only lag I get in QW is sometimes when I first view on outdoor environment--such as when walking out of the Strogg base to defend the shield generator in Canyon. It's cool how the megatextures load progressively, like walking around on Google Earth. But sometimes it lags BADLY for a second or two as the textures load.

#31 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

I bought the PC version of BF2142 to play on Bootcamp because I didn't trust Cider and in the past updates for mac ports were always slow to arrive; which in a multiplayer game ruins it if it breaks server connectivity.

But having to deal with XP (in bootcamp) just to play a game is equally frustrating. Have had to reinstall the OS twice and the game itself 3 times. Bloody annoying and bug-ridden EA piece of shizzle.

So I'm thinking of picking up ETQW as a replacement but then I saw this thread about the lack of a 1.5 update and all my memories of not being able to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein online because of the same issue. Slow port of the update.

By all accounts the Mac version is up to the PC version in terms of performance but if you can't play it online then what the point?

So now am back in two minds. I will wait and see how long the patch takes and if its online in the next week or so I will buy the Mac version otherwise its the PC version again and Bootcamp me up.

#32 TheGreenie

TheGreenie

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Yep the thing that bugs me the most is the time between patch updates. In the time that I had got the game I had put in 50 hours of online play and since the patch was released none... I felt a steady amount of improvement up to that point and was playing with the same people most of the time. Sure if I had the PC version I would have to duel boot but I do that on rare occasions already. And at least I would still be playing... In the talk of the 1.5 patch and when it was going to be released there was talk about the mac version so I was hoping that there would be a minimum downtime but as each day passes I'm less and less confident.

#33 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

I'm still seeing a FEW 1.4 servers with good ping, and they have a few humans playing on them. Plus there's offline play and the option to start my own server (which I've done). So lacking the patch hasn't kept me from playing.

It has kept me from playing on RANKED servers, though.

Someone told me that the guy responsible for Aspyr's patch was on vacation. With the long weekend in the US, that's plausible. Bad luck with the timing maybe. I still hold out hope that this one weekend will be the ONLY weekend without 1.5 on Mac. But if it turns into a couple weeks I still won't worry too much: the patches for QW aren't that frequent it seems, so the inconvenience of late patches is less than the inconvenience of rebooting and battling Windows.

Now, if the patch goes on to 3 weeks late, or months late, that will be a problem for me!

I'm not assuming the worst at this point. We'll know soon enough.

#34 Michael Yanovich

Michael Yanovich

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Saddest part is that the 1.4 servers with us Mac players? Tells me that Mac gaming is in a scary state.

There are so few players on these servers in the first place, and to be blunt most of the people I've played against are just awful. I don't say that to be mean, it's just that when I can literally complete an objective with barely the tiniest smattering of resistance, swap classes and respawn, then complete the next objective by myself... and finish the game having literally done every major objective single-handedly....

Maybe I'm playing at the wrong time of day or something, but I for one am really jonesing for the 1.5 patch to hurry up and come out. Thinking of getting the xbox 360 version when it comes out tomorrow just so I know I'll be able to get my game fix in.

This game is scary addicting. In a good way, of course.

#35 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Two reasons for people being few (and awful) that don't reflect the state of Mac games:

1. Many Mac users don't know how to find 1.4 server and probably give up after trying several 1.5 servers. (Tip: look for the first playercount number to be LESS than the number in parentheses.)

2. The Mac version is new, and not carried at Apple.com or in Apple stores. Mac users WILL generally be newbies--not by their innate lack of skill, just by the calendar :)

In short, a 1.4 Mac server is like a filter that lets in mostly people who haven't played long.

#36 DesterWallaboo

DesterWallaboo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

View Postnagromme, on May 27th 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

2. The Mac version is new, and not carried at Apple.com or in Apple stores.

Actually... I bought my copy at the Apple Store here in Salt Lake City.

#37 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

View Postnagromme, on May 27th 2008, 06:46 PM, said:

2. The Mac version is new, and not carried at Apple.com or in Apple stores
Uh, what? That's gonna hurt sales a smidge.

#38 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

View PostDesterWallaboo, on May 27th 2008, 10:26 PM, said:

Actually... I bought my copy at the Apple Store here in Salt Lake City.
That's a good sign! No luck at my Apple Store, nor other local Mac stores here that carry games. They weren't even planning to get it (it wasn't in their system at all, in other words). And Apple.com still doesn't have it, even though Apple Games at Apple.com did a feature on it.

But by golly they have all the slot machine and card games you could want  :cool:

So I ended up mail ordering.

#39 TheGreenie

TheGreenie

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

My local reseller had it in stock, and I work there :) we have sold more copies than I would of expected :) And you would be surprised how many slot machine and card games you actually sell... I don't get the idea of winning fake money on a slot machine... where is the excitement in that? Its almost a you know you have a problem when... kinda thing.

But Im not surprised about not seeing anyone, with all the different time zones etc. Also with ranked and non ranked servers (yes there are still 1.4 ranked servers) I sat on a server for a couple of hours yesterday and it kept going from 3 up to 5 players but never made it to the 6 to be able to start a game, And even when the PC users were on 1.4 it was hard to get enough people on a server just by having only 3 - 4 people on, people would rather queue for a server that was active than join one with only a few people on it. But as soon as that server would reach a certain number of people there would be a flood to join it.

As for the survey I'll just be happy if Mac OS beats the PS3 :) It would of been nice to beat the xbox360 as it was just released today for the consoles... Then again Mac uses might not be gaming community people and never visit the site :)

#40 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

I only find one server, and not all the time.

I actually didn't update to 1.5 on purpose (I'm a windows version player), so I get to play with you peeps.. but everytime I seem to join a server, nobody is online. Woe is me.
QC.