avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#3 DesterWallaboo

DesterWallaboo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

Yeah.... I noticed that all the servers that haven't been updated are empty. So until there is an update for the Mac client there really isn't anyone to play with.

#4 TheGreenie

TheGreenie

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

:bleedingeyes: I'm really hoping its only a few days... But at the same time I was really looking forward to the patch :) The question is should I install my friends PC copy so I can use my account in bootcamp in the mean time...

#5 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

You're right!

I only see one ranked server up (which luckily I can join just fine).

Someone may have to start up a Mac server for a short time in the interim :) (Which would be a good idea for Aspyr to do, actually.)

#6 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

OK, I did set up a Mac server running 1.4. It will NOT be running full time... and may not even work at all yet for all I know :)

But if it DOES work, the name starts with MacClan.net. Non-ranked, no password. 3v3 minimum, with bots to fill 4v4. 8v8 maximum. All maps in rotation. Everything set to default. Numeric IP address will change, so if you bookmark it the bookmark may fail at some point. If possible, favorite nagromme.servegame.com as the IP address (maybe try Direct Connection) instead of the numeric IP.

If you see our server but it doesn't work, let me know. Maybe I have to mess with router ports or something. (But I'm pretty sure I could host other idTech 4 games without messing with ports.)

EDIT: I can join my OWN server just fine, if that's a good sign :)

#7 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

tried to join in windows, with 1.4. didnt work yet?
QC.

#8 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

the 1.5 SDK includes XCode projects to allow mods to be compiled for OSX

#9 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on May 22nd 2008, 04:15 AM, said:

tried to join in windows, with 1.4. didnt work yet?

What happened when you tried to join?

I got in from Mac 1.4, and my ping was 23 so I think I was joining it over the Internet and not over LAN, which makes me hopeful that I'm OK on ports.

The server did have some downtime last night, just because my night-time Internet connection is flaky these days :(

I just fired the server up again if anyone wants to try. (I mostly wanted something Mac users can join while awaiting the patch, but ideally Win and Linux could jump in too.)

BTW, if anyone wants to set up their own server, the dedicated server app is a separate app which you'll find next to the game app. And the settings are in two lists (that I have found so far). The trick is switching between them: there are tiny invisible buttons (some kind of bug) that bring up each list. Immediately above the list, click inside the light gray bar, on the left end. The button for the second set of settings is directly above the second letter in "Server Properties" and the button to get back to the first set is directly above the disclosure triangle on the left. If it complains that you need to add maps, click Rotation on the first screen. It's all pretty simple once you know where to look. And upon launching you may get one Mac firewall warning. I just click Allow every time I start a server. Once the server is running, a second app will launch with a standard idTech 4 console. Type 'say' if you want to chat to the players.

View PostNail, on May 22nd 2008, 02:13 PM, said:

the 1.5 SDK includes XCode projects to allow mods to be compiled for OSX

Excellent! Where'd you hear that?

#10 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

http://community.ene....php?q=node/262

#11 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:25 PM

Great! I wonder if that means the full SDK being on Mac? (Not that I have time for such a thing!)

Also, JUST AS I WAS TYPING that I don't think my server works... somebody joined and is playing :) (I did open ports on my router after all. http://portforward.com to the rescue.)

#12 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Great! I wonder if that means the full SDK being on Mac?

I think all compiling will still have to be done in Windows, but the output will now allow Mac clients and servers access to mods that weren't available till now

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

View PostNail, on May 23rd 2008, 05:05 AM, said:

I think all compiling will still have to be done in Windows, but the output will now allow Mac clients and servers access to mods that wasn't available till now
When there are XCode projects, that must mean that they can be compiled under MacOS X. Otherwise, the inclusion of project files for a MacOS X exclusive development environment wouldn't make sense.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#14 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:52 AM

like Linux, all I know about Mac stuff is how to spell it, the SDK is an .exe after that it's up to you guys

#15 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

Actually that's useful--exe means not for Mac.

"Compiling" means something very specific--a "last step" which can be done with Xcode. But the general process of creating a mod? Probably not, but I can dream. I want a Battlestar Galactica mod with a New Caprica campaign. Aggressor->Centurion, Technician->Number Four, Medic->Cottle, etc... and of course vehicles.

#16 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:03 AM

That would be funky.

I thought of a "horror" mod, which I was going to do for HL at one point, but it would probably be too much like Left 4 Dead.

Also, if you're still online in four hours, we can game like for an hour or so.
QC.

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

View Postnagromme, on May 23rd 2008, 09:05 AM, said:

Actually that's useful--exe means not for Mac.

"Compiling" means something very specific--a "last step" which can be done with Xcode. But the general process of creating a mod? Probably not, but I can dream.
Quite possible, especially since there are no suitable map editors available for Mac, yet. Let alone a ETQW 1.5 patch.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#18 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:42 AM

I played on the server a bit. It was lots of fun, the bots were *way* too easy, not like *real* online play at all. But nevertheless, it felt good not being so jumpy all the time :D

I'll probably update to 1.5 now, and play on other servers..
QC.

#19 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

I wasn't on, but I'm glad to hear the server stayed up all night without the connection dying :)

I've tried different bot settings. At the moment, figuring most people stuck on 1.4 will be overwhelmed newbies, I'm trying bots set to Easy in terms of their shooting aim, but Expert in terms of their tactics/smarts. I'm guessing most servers either use Normal/Normal or Expert/Expert, and I should do the same--but I'm not sure which. I did run Normal/Normal for a while.

Maybe I'll split the difference and set qim to Normal and tactics to Expert.

I also tried custom Mac-themed bot names, just for the heck of it. (It was all I could do to come up with 16.)

EDIT: It's interesting to note that a QW server with 8 bots uses up only about 1/12 of my white iMac's CPU capacity. And these are some of the smartest, most flexible AI bots I've ever seen, reacting to far more complex scenarios than, say UT2004.

PS, here's a horror mod of sorts for Quake Wars, with a downloadable (non-Mac probably) alpha:
http://wheelsofwar.c...ft.biz/news.php

Cars and zombies! (Like Carmageddon I guess.)

#20 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

Also, 8 is too little. should be at the *very* least 12.

Also also, there are more than just "normal" and "expert". one stage before expert is pretty good too.

When will you be on? PM me.

EDIT: also, for joining yourself, you need to do a special setting on the dedicated software. check google for a guide to it or somesuch. (there is one)
I'm going to play right now!
QC.