36 replies to this topic

#1 richy78

richy78

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hi Guys,

Newbie here to Mac gaming.

I'm having real problems getting Star wars battlefront to work on my intel mac running 10.5.2.

I've downloaded the patch from the ASPYR website - it won't install, seems to get stuck when it starts to install.

I've re-installed the game about 5 times. At first the icon would appear in the doc, now it's telling me that the application is not supported ny this architecture. Originally it asked for my key code and now it does not.

Is there any way I can run this game? Apparently it should run fine under Rosetta.

Any help very much appreciated!

#2 richy78

richy78

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

OK, now i am being asked for the key code again. and it is recognising the game. which is good. Just trying to get the damn patch working!

when i try to run the patch, it tells me that the game is not supported by the architecture.

#3 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

According to http://www.insidemac...showtopic=31884 it runs fine on PPC so it seems to be an Intel issue.

#4 Zebra

Zebra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:31 AM

IIRC, the Star Wars Battefront patch has a quirk.  The game installs the package file (shown as the Stormtrooper icon) to your install location.  The patch application will not recognize this package file.  You have to create a folder called "Star Wars Battlefront" and move the package icon into that folder before the patch will recognize it.  Once you've done that it should patch with no problems.

#5 richy78

richy78

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:59 AM

Thanks Zebra, I really appreciate your help, but this did not work either - I tried creating a folder called Star Was Battlefront on both my desktop and in applications.

Whenever I try to install the patch to the application, it then blocks my access to the game saying something like 'you cannot access this application because it is not supported by this architecture'. Then I have to re install it again to try again.

Not sure if there's anything else I can do. Aspyr do not seem too helpful.

#6 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:25 AM

Are there any mods for Battlefront? because the way I had the first one in memory, is that the dark troopers were really horrible, and nothing like the original. (I'm not a canon fanboy or whatever, but I did like the look of the dark troopers in Dark Forces, and they just made it horrible. Like a mistake between Phase 2 and 3.)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#7 Zebra

Zebra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

View Postrichy78, on May 23rd 2008, 04:59 AM, said:

Thanks Zebra, I really appreciate your help, but this did not work either - I tried creating a folder called Star Was Battlefront on both my desktop and in applications.

Whenever I try to install the patch to the application, it then blocks my access to the game saying something like 'you cannot access this application because it is not supported by this architecture'. Then I have to re install it again to try again.

Not sure if there's anything else I can do. Aspyr do not seem too helpful.

OK, so I reinstalled a couple times to double-check what I said.  I'm on an older PPC iMac running 10.5.2.  If you install to the default location (which will be the Applications folder on your hard drive) the game will correctly install the package file in a folder called Star Wars Battlefront.  If you choose a non-default install location the game installs the package only without the Star Wars Battlefront folder.  The patch needs the folder to identify the SWBF app so in my case I always installed to my Games folder and always had trouble with the patch.  The problem is easily solved by creating the folder and moving the package inside.

The game runs fine for me.  I know other players with Intel Macs that have run the game in the past on with no problems.  I've haven't played since the switch to 10.5.x so I don't know if there are problems for other Intel Mac players running 10.5.x.  At this point I suspect something has changed in 10.5.x for Intel Macs that's causing your problem.  You could always log onto GameRanger and enter a SWBF lobby and ask if anyone is having problems like yours.

Also, The game shipped with some bad CD key labels that cut off the key.  Make sure your key has five groups of five alphanumeric characters separated by dashes.  In my case the last four characters were cut off and I had to get help from Aspyr support for the problem.  If you go to their SWBF support page there used to be a utility that would generate the full CD key for you automatically if you enter the partial key.  Now the website is saying to call it in at 1-512-708-8100.  The CD key shouldn't affect the patch though.  The CD key is only needed when you start the game for the first time.

#8 richy78

richy78

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:16 AM

Still not having much luck with this, it seems Aspyr expect me to wait for them to realease a patch or whatever so that I play the game.

I'm not sure if I'm entitled to refund from the store I bought it from.

They (Aspyr) say they working on it. Does anyone know if they generally follow through with things like this? Or are they just fobbing me off?

Zebra, I think my code is OK as it has 5 sets of digits.

View PostZebra, on May 23rd 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

OK, so I reinstalled a couple times to double-check what I said.  I'm on an older PPC iMac running 10.5.2.  If you install to the default location (which will be the Applications folder on your hard drive) the game will correctly install the package file in a folder called Star Wars Battlefront.  If you choose a non-default install location the game installs the package only without the Star Wars Battlefront folder.  The patch needs the folder to identify the SWBF app so in my case I always installed to my Games folder and always had trouble with the patch.  The problem is easily solved by creating the folder and moving the package inside.

The game runs fine for me.  I know other players with Intel Macs that have run the game in the past on with no problems.  I've haven't played since the switch to 10.5.x so I don't know if there are problems for other Intel Mac players running 10.5.x.  At this point I suspect something has changed in 10.5.x for Intel Macs that's causing your problem.  You could always log onto GameRanger and enter a SWBF lobby and ask if anyone is having problems like yours.

Also, The game shipped with some bad CD key labels that cut off the key.  Make sure your key has five groups of five alphanumeric characters separated by dashes.  In my case the last four characters were cut off and I had to get help from Aspyr support for the problem.  If you go to their SWBF support page there used to be a utility that would generate the full CD key for you automatically if you enter the partial key.  Now the website is saying to call it in at 1-512-708-8100.  The CD key shouldn't affect the patch though.  The CD key is only needed when you start the game for the first time.

#9 Breadfan

Breadfan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Steam Name:Breadfan

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

I couldn't get the patch to install, either. Over the weekend I did a complete "Erase and Install" of Leopard on my Mac Pro, and have been been slowly rebuilding and re-installing all that I own. I hadn't got around to SWBF, yet. The first install off the dvd seemed to work correctly...I launched the game, entered my cd key--which it accepted--and then it promptly crashed. No splash screens, no resolution switching, no nothing. Odd, tho, was that the OS-based SWBF menu was visible at the top of my monitor, and was still functional. I waited for the game, nothing happened, so I quit it using the menu, and it took me back to the desktop.

I then attempted to install the 1.2 Rev A patch. Clicked all the appropriate buttons, it said it was installing ".DS_store" and then promptly hung there forever. I had to force quit the installer--which left my SWBF icon with a "No Smoking" slashed-circle across it (due, of course, to that fact that I force-quit the installer before it was finished). I deleted everything and tried again from scratch--same outcome.

I can say, tho, that SWBF (patched-and-all) worked correctly on this same computer under Tiger. It's Leopard that broke it.

I'll try monkeying around some more, but it doesn't look promising.

Breadfan
My dad is Black Elvis and I am the Robot Devil

Pints are just too perfect to change. 0.5 litres is too little and 1 litre is too much.--divadsci (from reddit)

#10 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

Yes but do you have a PPC or an intel mac?
QC.

#11 Breadfan

Breadfan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

Intel--it says Mac Pro in the 2nd sentence of my 1st post.

Here's my main specs:
2007 Mac Pro Tower
2 x 2.66 Xeon
3 Gigs RAM.
7300 GT video card
3 x 500 HD space
OS 10.5.2 (with all current updates from Apple)
23" Cinema Display

Other than that, tho, I've still had no success getting it to install and run--either before or after patching it.

Breadfan

Pints are just too perfect to change. 0.5 litres is too little and 1 litre is too much.--divadsci (from reddit)

#12 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hmm...I wish I knew what to say to help you.  I've got a 2008 8-core Mac Pro and SWBF works fine for me.

You could try deleting the SWBF preferences and application support files from your Home directory (not all of them, just the SWBF ones) after applying the latest update.  I don't know if that would help or not, but you could try it.

That would be the Home (whatever your username is)/library/Application Support directory and the Home/library/Preferences directory.

And BTW, yes, there are lots of mods for SWBF.  Most of the Widows version custom maps and stuff work for the mac version.  Right-click on the application icon and choose Open Package Contents.  From there keep going until you find the AddOn folder.  That's where you want to put them if I remember correctly.

#13 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on May 23rd 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Are there any mods for Battlefront? because the way I had the first one in memory, is that the dark troopers were really horrible, and nothing like the original. (I'm not a canon fanboy or whatever, but I did like the look of the dark troopers in Dark Forces, and they just made it horrible. Like a mistake between Phase 2 and 3.)

http://hosted.filefr...iderdm1/1866315

#14 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

It might be to do with the version of Leopard. So in other words, 10.5.2 might be stuffing up, but 10.5.1 or 10.5.3 might be absolutely fine though, I guess we would have to find out the hard way. Oh well. ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#15 Breadfan

Breadfan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

@ Liberator:

Hadn't thought of that--I'll bump my machine up to 10.5.3 after work tonight, and try again (after deleting the files specified by UniversalWolf).

Thanks for all the input!

Breadfan

#16 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

Any time. That is what we are here for. By the way, I don't have either a Intel Machine, nor Leopard, so I am only talking from what I have read, heard and my own reasonably good knowledge of general things when it comes to theory. I am only assuming here, although I think it is a pretty sound assumption. ;)

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#17 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:25 AM

I don't have leopard and life is groovy. Oh and sorry bout overseeing your post.
QC.

#18 Breadfan

Breadfan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

No problem, QC.

Still, tho, couldn't get it past the initial install after bumping up by 10.5.3. Still hangs after taking my key...

I think what I'm going to do is just re-install Tiger on one of my other HDs and just load things under it that won't run under Leopard...kinda funny, tho, that I'll gladly install a previous OS and reboot to play/work under it, but I won't do the whole Bootcamp thing with Windows....

Anyhoo, thanks again everyone!

Breadfan

#19 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Oh well, that is a bit of a let down that the 10.5.3 update didn't fix it at all. I'm a sorry about that, maybe some day, the computer gods will favor you. :)

Liberator.

#20 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

I was running it under 10.5.2 and it worked fine.  I updated to 10.5.3 and it still works fine.

Where did you get your copy, Breadfan?  As I recall the original release had a problem with the serial number.  The one printed on the case was missing the last four digits, and I had to send an e-mail to get the complete number.  Is it possible you have one of these early copies and you're missing the last four digits?  If so, I assume the game would muck up somehow after you input the key.