• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

As I'm doing the preview for IMG... the game runs pretty great on my MBP with its RadeonX1600, even with settings beefed up graphically.

And for the rest... well... the preview will be forthcoming...

#42 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

View PostSharky, on July 18th 2008, 06:51 PM, said:

And for the rest... well... the preview will be forthcoming...

why do i get the impression that this is going to be faint praise?

my copy has shipped from feral.

#43 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

View Postedddeduck, on July 18th 2008, 10:49 AM, said:

It will not run at all on GMA950 Books.

It is not supported on X3100 cards but it does run (slowly).

If you want to risk it on the MacBook you can I would recommend trying out the demo as if you
don't like it we cannot really help as you will be under spec.

The thing is this: I only know one other gamer that has an MBP. All others have MBs, one of them still has the older one. IE making this a LAN turner-offer on the mac side, because even if this is a fun MP game, I'll have to play it in windows just for the mp. Which is a shame because it looks like so much fun.. (as I have infinitely more windows gamer friends etc) really a shame that theres no windows compatibility..
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#44 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

View Postfabforrest, on July 18th 2008, 04:23 PM, said:

why do i get the impression that this is going to be faint praise?
my copy has shipped from feral.

Oh, I was more phrasing my reticence to say too much outside of the official preview. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm only a couple levels in.

#45 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

I think the most important thing will be: Will the Mac version have a new singleplayer campaign, where it's more "launch everything we got at the other side" kind of thing, like a preset skirmish? Because the only way to do that is to play multiplayer with people.
QC.

#46 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

a new singleplayer campaign? no. itll have the exact same one as the PC version...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#47 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

Which is why I won't get it, as the multiplayer is the main attraction.. Ah well.
QC.

#48 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

"The game is Mac networking only, but with a Multiplayer demo coming and full GameRanger support (both the full game and demo) you should be able to play against all the other Mac users worldwide with ease."

well, this is fine for me if enough mac users get it.  i will certainly be looking a multiplayer after my shakedown cruise.

#49 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:47 AM

With the demo having MP mode, and other things we are going to try with encouraging Mac networking we hope it will be lots of fun for lots of people.

I understand the annoyance of no PC compatibility but that is not something we wanted rather something that was unavoidable. However in return as I mentioned we are planning a multiplayer based demo and more to make Mac online a fun experience. I know our office (myself included) have had loads of fun playing multiplayer mode in the last few weeks and we hope everyone who plays the demo or plays the full game on a Mac will agree.

Edwin

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Demo! Demo! Demo!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Felix

Felix

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:24 PM

View PostJanichsan, on July 23rd 2008, 09:44 PM, said:

I would wait until Feral releases an updated demo tomorrow. On some systems with older routers the demo crashes, because they don't support the automatic routing in the new Gameranger. Feral is aware of that problem and try to fix it asap. But for most users, it runs fine.

#52 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

yeah, that link doesnt work. it now redirects you to your native apple store...

try this one

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#53 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

So the demo is multi-player only?

#54 OVW

OVW

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

View Postteflon, on July 23rd 2008, 05:58 PM, said:

yeah, that link doesnt work. it now redirects you to your native apple store...

try this one

Has anyone gotten the demo to work? Tried 3 or 4 times this evening. Got nothing. It is VERY possible that this was due to a poor connection on the part of the 'host' but not sure. I dl'd from the above link.

#55 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:18 AM

View PostOVW, on July 23rd 2008, 07:58 PM, said:

Has anyone gotten the demo to work? Tried 3 or 4 times this evening. Got nothing. It is VERY possible that this was due to a poor connection on the part of the 'host' but not sure. I dl'd from the above link.

Some people with certain router setups have been reporting issues, we are working on a patch for people in these cases. If you had any issues with the demo please PM me as you might have some useful information.

The patch will automatically update all demos using our sparkle update system.

Cheers,

Edwin

#56 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

this is actually loads of fun on the net. shame that its not mac & PC, but as long as theres a community based on GR, then itll be great.

I just went up against two Swiss guys. Me vs the two of them (US v Japan respectively), and im telling you, if i had someone else to look after the planes, then we woulda wiped them off the earth. My naval skills were pretty nifty, switching between subs and battle crusiers and what have you, and just nailing theirs with precision cannon fire and torpedoes. Im sure I woulda won if it hadnt been for those pesky planes!

of course, 4 v 4 would be ultimate. Its great how you can always stay in the action through switching to the nearest vessel and making the best of it, then going to the command map and doing a bit of management and then switching to the next. So you really wouldnt need more than 4 players on a side.

#57 ghenry88

ghenry88

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

i was just wondering if anyone has gotten this game to work on a macbook with the gma x3100 card.

#58 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:07 AM

View Postghenry88, on July 24th 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

i was just wondering if anyone has gotten this game to work on a macbook with the gma x3100 card.

It does not officially support the X3100 card. It might work but we do not support or say it works.

Edwin

#59 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

The Battlestations Midway Multiplayer Demo has been re-released. After the initial release
we noted that some players had problems hosting/joining games on GameRanger.

Although most players had no problems we decided to pull the demo until we understood what the problems were.

The major issue, which occurred on some versions of OSX 10.4 has been fixed and we are now confident that few players will experience any problems with this version.

However, due to the myriad internet setups that exist we are still getting some reports of people not being able to join (or in some
cases host) games online using GameRanger. Most of these issues are due to setup of the local network, but we would be grateful  if users could report any hosting or joining issues to bsmonline@feralinteractive.com .

Based on those reports we will update the demo to work better on non-standard routers and networks and give you better guidance if
the problem requires changes to your local network.

As with many online games, you may need to set up port forwarding on your router if you wish to host. GameRanger will warn you if this is the case, and give you further advice on setting up port forwarding.

Have a good weekend everyone, and I hope that includes the BSM demo ;)

Edwin

#60 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

is there a new url for this?

nm found it here http://games4mac.de/...h...s=1&id=6982