#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

Read here. That's surely a game I haven't expected.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:25 AM

View PostJanichsan, on May 15th 2008, 09:09 AM, said:

Read here. That's surely a game I haven't expected.

All hell, it's firewalled here at work (school).  Would you post a snippet or two for me?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

View Postdojoboy, on May 15th 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

All hell, it's firewalled here at work (school).  Would you post a snippet or two for me?

I just copy some random quotes about the game from Feral's page:

Prepare for a totally new combat experience as you fight massive air, sea and undersea battles in WWII's Pacific theatre in direct command of multiple warships, planes and submarines in this epic solo and online tactical action game.
Battlestations: Midway follows the story of naval recruit Henry Walker, whose first assignment as a gunner at Pearl Harbor is the starting point of an incredible career at the heart of the US Pacific Fleet in 1942, in what was to become one of the most inspirational military campaigns in history.

Take Control
Step up to the controls of over 60 authentic warships, aircraft and submarines whilst commanding the entire fleet.

Lead Every Battle
Instantly switch between exhilarating dogfights, powerful artillery attacks, and stealth torpedo kills from the deep.

Intense Online Multiplayer
Go online for huge multi-unit battles with up to 8 players. Up to 100 Warships, Aircraft and Subs face off over GameRanger - the Mac multiplayer gaming service

Revolutionary Gameplay
Experience epic WWII combat from multiple perspectives as you jump between dozens of units, playing as a pilot, a gunner, a submarine captain or even a carrier fleet commander.

Massive Battlefields
Every battle takes place simultaneously in the air, on the sea and beneath the waves. Movement of your fleet and the individual efforts of any one vehicle is critical to success.

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: 1.83GHz
RAM: 512MB
Graphics: 128MB
Mac OS: 10.4
Hard Disk: 4.3GB
Drive: DVD
Input: Mouse

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: 2.4GHz
RAM: 1.5GB
Graphics: 256MB
Mac OS: 10.5
Hard Disk: 4.3GB
Drive: DVD
Input: Multi-button Mouse

This game does not support GMA graphics cards with shared RAM.

Intel Only

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

Thanks.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#5 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

Heh, someone's been playing with Scriptaculous.

The first time I heard about this game I thought it was some sort of new Mortal Kombat game. Was very disappointed to find out I wouldn't be ripping anyone's heart out of their chest.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#6 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

a new mortal combat?? maybe a more obscure reference to attempts at weight loss, but mortal combat no.

anyway, think of it as the naval and flying bits of BF1942 with a fair bit more depth and mixed with a RTT and youre there with the game description. I hadnt really heard of this till discovering this port by feral.

The requirements look pretty good too. And seeing as theyre up already, maybe well see this game be released in the very near future..
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

View Postteflon, on May 15th 2008, 08:20 AM, said:

The requirements look pretty good too.

Those requirements are final and will not change before release. Essentially you can play on any Intel mac apart from the MacBook and Mac mini ranges. This is because the game does not support machines with integrated GMA cards.

View Postteflon, on May 15th 2008, 08:20 AM, said:

Maybe well see this game be released in the very near future..

We have announced will be shipping at the end of June. So yeah we will be releasing soon. :)

If you want to see what it looks like we have some shiny trailers of the action here.

Edwin

#8 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

720p = HD? Pah! My heuuuge TV thinks not.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)

#9 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

720p is the lowest available HDV.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#10 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

Only in the eyes of MOST people. On my TV, 720p has pixels the size of my fist... </exaggeration>

#11 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

hmmm. maybe i should learn to read... or get some sleep so that my eyes dont sting so hard all the time.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#12 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

Well, I know a company where I did a project once, that just got one of those 12000€ flat screens, for HDTV viewing pleasure. And work of course.

My pixels can beat your pixels.
QC.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

My dad was aboard the USS Enterprise from before Pearl Harbor up until VJ day.  Let me know if any of you guys see him, he looks like me but is a little taller and he is a teletype operator.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Funny, a friend of ours also had a father or grandfather in pearl jam before they split up.. no wait.. pearl harbour..
QC.

#15 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on May 15th 2008, 08:37 PM, said:

My dad was aboard the USS Enterprise from before Pearl Harbor up until VJ day.  Let me know if any of you guys see him, he looks like me but is a little taller and he is a teletype operator.

Teletype? You mean LCARS?  :crazy:

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:54 PM

View Postcharmin, on May 15th 2008, 01:44 PM, said:

Teletype? You mean LCARS?  :crazy:
LCARS?  You mean El cars?  :whistling:
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

View Postcharmin, on May 16th 2008, 03:04 AM, said:

720p = HD? Pah! My heuuuge TV thinks not.
The Australian government in its infinite wisdom has decreed that HD shall mean "576p and above". :cool:

#18 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:08 AM

Now when was that Introduced, before the reptilian, lip–licking Rudd or at the time of Monkey–face Howard?

By the way, Just one question about the system specs, if the specs are low enough why isn't the game universal? I'm sure I will get a big long lecture and talk about this. I do know that doing both would cost money but still.

Liberator.

P.S. the mocking of past and present PM's is of outright ability to, nothing else. :)

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#19 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on May 16th 2008, 04:08 AM, said:

By the way, Just one question about the system specs, if the specs are low enough why isn't the game universal?

Simple answer they are not low enough :) If they are low enough we do a PPC version. In this case the system spec and graphics card requirements are at a level where the PPC version is not really viable.

View PostThe Liberator, on May 16th 2008, 04:08 AM, said:

I'm sure I will get a big long lecture and talk about this. I do know that doing both would cost money but still.

OK I will do my best to nip this debate in the bud. I am not going to go through the entire process we go through but I will explain enough to hopefully make everyone understand why BSM cannot run on a PPC machine.

All I can really say is trust me after looking at the CPU, graphics card support etc on PPC we decided it was not really possible to get the game running smoothly and give users a nice experience. I know a few armchair developers might try and say it is possible but after looking at the code etc it really isn't.

The BSM CPU minimum (on Intel) is 1.8 Ghz but this does not mean the PPC would also run at 1.8 Ghz for starters all 1.8 Intel machines are dual core the PPC machines are mostly single apart from the professional tower machines this is before you get into chip design, optimizations etc. You then have to add in factors like graphics card driver support, etc it becomes more apparent that this game due to it's complex design would not port to PPC easily (if at all).

We did spend some time evaluating the game code in reference to a PPC version of this game, like we will do for all games we have in development on a per game basis. In this case after looking at the code and the demands on the game it was not possible. Even with infinite money and time you might only get a few high-end dual CPU G5's supported and that is not certain as until you have the game running everything is just an educated guess. So even if you had infinite money (and time) it is not a gamble you would want to make as you might end up with a game that is slow (hence not supportable) on all or most PPC machines.

Don't worry we have not dropped PPC support but depending on the graphics card and CPU demands some games are not possible to bring to PPC. This is one of them.

Edwin

#20 Kriegsmarine

Kriegsmarine

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

Feral, if you could, I would be interested in knowing why Mac to PC multiplayer was not supported.  I am very excited by Battlestations: Midway coming to the Mac, but lack of PC multiplayer is a real dampner (lack of PC multiplayer very much crippled Star Wars Battlefront for the Mac).  Is this a Gamespy issue?