ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

View PostFrigidman, on May 31st 2008, 10:04 AM, said:

But god, what is with mouse-maker's infatuation with useless side buttons? I simply am unable to use them, because they require you to give up motion control of the mouse to situate and press those buttons. Its about as bad as letting go of the mouse and hitting a key on your keypad. Now, if they put more buttons where your INDEX and MIDDLE fingers can press them, THEN they would make more sense. But on the sides? My god, the ones on the right side (for ring finger) are just impossible to deal with if you wish to keep a grasp of the mouse at the same time, and the thumb ones are pathetic as well. Not as bad, but they still require me to give up some movement ability just to squash at some buttons with my thumb.

The Logitech G5 for example, it has these two 'thumb buttons'. Well, they were nicely put OUT OF THE WAY for those of us who hate them, but where they are for those who want to use them is just stupid. You have to remove your thumb from the control grove, and shift it way up, arch it over, and then press one of two very stiff buttons. Who was the idiot those thought this up?

The G5 also has these two nice little buttons at the base of the wheel. THOSE are easily pressed! And would be great if they were NOT hard coded to ONLY adjust the speed ratio of the mouse :( So, they are great accessible buttons, but cannot be used for anything useful.

I think you need to understand that not everyone holds a mouse the same way you do.  For instance, on my Logitech MX1000 Te thumb buttons are great.  All three are easily reachable, aren't easy to hit by accident, and don't require me to lose my grip or any control on the mouse.  The buttons above and below the wheel are impossible for me to hit though without almost entirely taking my hand off the mouse.  So I DON'T want buttons for my index and middle finger other than the standard first and second button.

Anyway, I'm sure your method works well for you.  I just wanted to remind you that people have different choices and preferences.

#62 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

View Postozzy, on May 31st 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

Anyway, I'm sure your method works well for you.  I just wanted to remind you that people have different choices and preferences.

Yup, I know. And apparently I'm in the minority because the industry standard is to make crappy mice designs :D

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#63 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

Y'know, I'm picky about mice but I consider most mice usable at some level, aside from the Mighty Mouse.  I'm yet another person extremely fond of the MX1000. The G5's thumb buttons never impeded my gaming ability, perhaps I have abnormal dexterity but I highly doubt that.
the IMG audio guy...

#64 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

I've been wanting to get a new moues, but I'm unwilling to sacrifice the MX1000's side buttons. They are perfectly positioned. I have the middle side button mapped to ⌘-n, and it is probably the second most used button on the mouse. The back and forward buttons are great. The "cruise" feature is pretty useless, but I like using the "cruise down" button to show all spaces.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#65 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

Is it just me, or is it a total sweatfest if your hand is on the deathadder for any longer than 10 minutes?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#66 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on June 3rd 2008, 09:41 AM, said:

Is it just me, or is it a total sweatfest if your hand is on the deathadder for any longer than 10 minutes?

That is the biggest problem with mice. All mice. Someone needs to make a cooled mouse.

#67 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:09 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on May 31st 2008, 11:35 PM, said:

I've been wanting to get a new moues, but I'm unwilling to sacrifice the MX1000's side buttons. They are perfectly positioned. I have the middle side button mapped to ⌘-n, and it is probably the second most used button on the mouse.

Oh for sure, the MX1000 super amount of buttons are useful as hell but the real question do you just go on wild window creating binges?

That seems like an odd but interesting choice. I use USB OD so its all about whatever app I'm in, often its mapped to space bar for scrolling (Photoshop, AI, Motion etc) over here and Expose all windows view for the finder. So far the MX1000 remains at the pinnacle of mouse design in my book, its not inherently a gamer's mouse but I'd equate the swiss army knife of mice.

One day I'd like to get a second Intuos and try dual screen Wacoming.... oh how joyful that'd be. Wacoming isn't ideal for everything as I'm still more accurate with a mouse but I typed this entire msg with a wacom in hand as I've gotten accustomed to typing without my right index finger so I don't have to set it down.  Its just breaking $330 on a second wacom seems rather crazy but we all have crazy dreams. Mine is dual 30 inch displays, a Studio Logic SL 990 keyboard, dual wacoms, and Sennihieser HD-650s resting on my desk....
the IMG audio guy...

#68 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:12 AM

The Mac Driver is back online
I am having trouble getting all the features working under OS X though. I cant update my firmware too. Looks like i'll have to contact Razer.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#69 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

View PostGreg Gant, on June 4th 2008, 04:09 AM, said:

Mine is dual 30 inch displays, a Studio Logic SL 990 keyboard, dual wacoms, and Sennihieser HD-650s resting on my desk....
Even a single 30" display would be enough... and I wouldn't mind upgrading to a pair of HD-650's. I should have gone with Sennheiser HD-580s, but I went with the 555's because it was before I had a receiver, and I wasn't sure the line out from my computer could drive em.

#70 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

View PostGreg Gant, on June 4th 2008, 06:09 PM, said:

and Sennihieser HD-650s resting on my desk....

.... So two of them? :mellow: Double High Definition Stereo Output... pretty sure you'd need more ears for that :happy:

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#71 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

Have you tried the HMD-280s?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#72 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

Whoever i'm dealing with at Razer seems to be a bit of an idiot.

I sent this question with the heading "Cant Update Deathadder to Firmware 1.27 Bootloader Freezes" which really says it all.

I have been having trouble using all of my DeathAdder Features on the Mac OS driver for the DeathAdder I.e. the OTF doesnt work at all, cant turn off the lights in the mouse, cant change DPI, only some things work like the double click rate, mapping for instance Expose functions to the side buttons. I assumed that i needed to update my Firmware as it is still on 1.10. I loaded up windows downloaded the new firmware (i am using the 1.8 driver on windows) and then ran the 1.27 bootloader.
The progress bar does not move at all. The windows "Found New Hardware Wizard" comes up after several other messages have gone buy, all of them finding new hardware, all of which i can assume are instances of the bootloader. Eventually the Bootloader locks up (the progress bar never moves at all) and i have to dissconnect the mouse and recconect it in order to gain functionality again. Worth noting is that all of the DeathAdders Features work on windows XP under the 1.08 Driver. That driver tells me that the mouse is under Version 1.10 firmware. I have tried the bootloader on a separate Windows PC and it did the excact same thing. The mouse doesnt seem to have been damaged as it still works fine under windows XP.
He obviously read the first sentence and replied with this

Hi there Dominic,

Did you run the firmware updater on a Windows Vista machine or on your Mac machine?

Please take note that you need to update the firmware on a Windows machine before using it on your Mac.

Not too impressed at the moment :glare:

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#73 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

R O T F L M F A O ....

Yeah... my god, did he even read what you wrote? That so gets me... a pet peeve of mine. When you "write" something ie a question, or support request, and all the responses go on about something you already covered in what you wrote. It's like W T F don't you idiots READ? If I have to repeat myself on a WRITTEN forum, what kind of idiot does that make you?!

Anyhow... yeah... I feel for you. I am about to go through that as well with an issue that popped up with my HDTV. Tech Support = Any idiot off the street.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#74 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

View PostFrigidman, on June 6th 2008, 01:38 AM, said:

Anyhow... yeah... I feel for you. I am about to go through that as well with an issue that popped up with my HDTV. Tech Support = Any idiot off the street.
... Reading out of a book.

i sent him a reply saying, Please Read Over my question (so basically i was asking why the bootloader kept freezing). I firmly stated that i DO NOT have vista and had already tried the bootloader on two separate compluters. i reffered them back to my original statement again. before they replied i actually fixed the situation myself (with Razer Supplied Info) and then they replied with this.

Hi,

Please try reinstalling the drivers and flashing the firmware.

Please remember to remove the Registry Files as mentioned in the Knowledgebase Section.
See http://www.razersupp...k...103&nav=0,9

Then download the latest driver(v1.08) and firmware(v1.27) package from our Download section from the Razer Support website.

Please reply back to us with the results of the reinstallation, thank you.

*Sigh* :bleedingeyes:
But thanks for feeling for me frigidman... i hope the HDTV tech support arent too stupid :blush:

Anyways if anyone wants to know, the bootloader will crash if you dismiss that annoying Microsoft found new hardware Wizard. You actually have to keep pressing yes(no to downloading software) and once you get through the wizard the Bootloader Runs.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#75 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:50 AM

…and I thought that the IT support guys were supposed to be useful. Oh well. :wall:

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State