#41 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

View PostWhaleman, on May 21st 2008, 07:12 AM, said:

I didn't have a can at hand, but I think I can barely squeeze a finger in between the thumb and closest opposing finger... and then my palm is about 20% longer than my index finger.. so the base of my palm ends up quite a far away from the mouse ;)

ZOMGWTFBBQ :bleedingeyes: :cool: :mellow:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#42 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:48 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 20th 2008, 11:51 PM, said:

Wow . . . that cleared things up. So, how is life on Xardoc XIV? Are the acid storms pleasant this time of year? :P

Actually... I don't have that big hands.... if you take them relative to my 6'6" length they're almost normal sized.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#43 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

So the 3G Diamonback actually has the exact same sensor tech on the inside as the DeathAdder? Why on earth is there like a $10 price difference on those two then?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#44 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 20th 2008, 03:40 PM, said:

Hey, can you toss a copy at MacGeek@earthlink.net?  I'll throw them up on my personal Earthlink webspace, and post a link for everyone.

Yep, sent.

View PostWhaleman, on May 20th 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

I didn't have a can at hand, but I think I can barely squeeze a finger in between the thumb and closest opposing finger... and then my palm is about 20% longer than my index finger.. so the base of my palm ends up quite a far away from the mouse ;)

I just checked, and my hands are about the same size. Not really surprising since I'm 6' 6" as well. The top of the Razer logo shows between my index and middle finger when I'm using the mouse, but I find it quite comfortable. I have it on a high sensitivity and rest the heel of my palm on the mousepad, and I can cover my whole screen without moving from there. It never feels strained at all.

So overall, I love the Deathadder. Mind you, it's the only fancy mouse I've ever had - before that it was cheapo logitechs.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#45 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

The story on the DeathAdder drivers is simple: Razer is opting to officially release the drivers online when the mouse is available in stores. Apparently, if you get the white version, you get the drivers on the included CD. The rest of us will have to borrow the .zip that someone found online from each other (I'm still working on the link . . . maybe I'll get it stickied).

4000 posts . . . wow.  That's a lot of crap. :P
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#46 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:16 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 21st 2008, 02:20 PM, said:

That's a lot of crap. :P

Gary has 9,000 now and if you can find even 100 that fit within the context of that thread they were posted in, i will award you the gift of Awesomeness.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#47 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

I like little moving things, things that roll along the ground or have a little bell in them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#48 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

View PostFrigidman, on May 20th 2008, 05:47 PM, said:

So the 3G Diamonback actually has the exact same sensor tech on the inside as the DeathAdder? Why on earth is there like a $10 price difference on those two then?
Bump to this question again :D

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#49 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Because the DeathAdder is in much higher demand.
InsideMacGames.com

#50 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 21st 2008, 09:46 AM, said:

Because the DeathAdder is in much higher demand.
Hmm, ok.

What I dont understand is people griping about a polling rate of 125mhz, and that you cant change that with the diamondback... and thus through that gripe seem to infer you CAN change that with the deathadder, yet neither do, and 125mhz is just the base setting that windows has. You have to actually hack your OS with a specific patch to make your USB polling rates higher... so wtf are people whining about with the diamondback then?

Anyhow, maybe I will buy the diamondback 3G instead... something about "Frost Blue" that draws my attention...

-Fm [1oM7]

#51 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

You don't have to hack your OS.  Just hit one of the higher settings on the Razer CP, hit apply, and away you go.  I've confirmed that the polling rate on the bus increases using the good old dx_mouse_timer_dialog executable.  The higher polling rate makes a significant difference, but also chews up a bit more CPU time.
InsideMacGames.com

#52 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

CPU aint an issue on a dual core, since one core is usually idle most the time :D

I'll just uhm, do an eenymeenymineymoe and pick either the DiamondBack or DeathAdder. Either one is 3G, just depends on if I wanna risk $10 on a smoother design that may end up ticking me off (like in Whales case).

-Fm [1oM7]

#53 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

This may help:

http://www.gateway.c...t...7927&seg=hm

Boy, those original press pictures are ugly.  I think they were taken of preproduction mice.
InsideMacGames.com

#54 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

Well, I got the DiamondBack 3G in today... havn't even plugged it in yet, and I can tell I hate this mouse. Two major flaws immediately struck me while trying to figure out how to handle it:

1) The scroll wheel is nowhere near when my index finger lands. I need another inch of finger to use that wheel right! If I shift my entire hand up holding it beyond the middle of the mouse (where it balances right), the bottom end of the mouse slams into my palm, and whenever I pick it up it topples backwards.

2) The stupid side buttons on the right are pathetic. They have sharp little nubbies on them for one, which I'm sure I can lop off with an xacto knife, but the worst part is everytime I go to lift the mouse, my darn ring finger clicks the button on the side! Again, if I shift off balance and change the holding position, it won't, but then more problems occur.

This mouse was made for people with 12inch hands. This is going back to the store immediately.

-Fm [1oM7]

#55 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

This will probably turn out to be a really stupid question…

Does anyone know if any good mice would be coming out within this year, like say a better mouse from Razer or something, because I might be getting a new computer. Even if I don't, I might be getting a Death Adder anyways. I have had my eye on possibly buying a Death Adder for a few weeks, and I have been thinking about if I should or should not.

Thanks, Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#56 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

I just wish someone like BestBuy would carry all these 'great' mice so those of us who are picky on feel can at least preliminarily see if we will even like it.

The 3G Sensor is pretty darn good, for the brief moment I plugged it in and tried to use it. It was precise and smooth in motion. No need to fuss with the USB polling rate because unless you never have adjusted a usb port, there is no sense starting now.

But god, what is with mouse-maker's infatuation with useless side buttons? I simply am unable to use them, because they require you to give up motion control of the mouse to situate and press those buttons. Its about as bad as letting go of the mouse and hitting a key on your keypad. Now, if they put more buttons where your INDEX and MIDDLE fingers can press them, THEN they would make more sense. But on the sides? My god, the ones on the right side (for ring finger) are just impossible to deal with if you wish to keep a grasp of the mouse at the same time, and the thumb ones are pathetic as well. Not as bad, but they still require me to give up some movement ability just to squash at some buttons with my thumb.

The Logitech G5 for example, it has these two 'thumb buttons'. Well, they were nicely put OUT OF THE WAY for those of us who hate them, but where they are for those who want to use them is just stupid. You have to remove your thumb from the control grove, and shift it way up, arch it over, and then press one of two very stiff buttons. Who was the idiot those thought this up?

The G5 also has these two nice little buttons at the base of the wheel. THOSE are easily pressed! And would be great if they were NOT hard coded to ONLY adjust the speed ratio of the mouse :( So, they are great accessible buttons, but cannot be used for anything useful.

Those DiamonBack buttons were crap. They were so super sensitive, even moving the mouse in a circle, I would end up pressing a couple of them with my ring finger or thumb (the side buttons that is). When I went to LIFT the mouse, I always clicked some side button, and many times would end up clicking the left (index) button because I would have to use my index finger to stabilize the lift as the mouse has no balance if you wish to even consider using the wheel.

So, I gave up on it. Boxed it back up good as new and have shipped it back. I am not going to try and stretch and tweak my hand and retrain it to work with a poorly designed mouse like that. At least with the G5, the main two buttons and the wheel are easily reached and clicked and not accidentally clicked at all. The G5 has a nice 'stabilizing' ridge next to the wheel where your index finger can rest when you lift the mouse. But god, this mouse is a brick. Dont like its high lift height either... but I guess I could reduce that by building up the glide pads. I just dont like this G5 either, but its not as bad as the diamondback.

I am not sure where this talk of "lasers lose track when you go fast" is. I have been using this G5 reluctantly for two months now(?) and have never had it skip or drop or stall during any movement in any game. So I don't know what crack people are on when they talk about that.

-Fm [1oM7]

#57 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

View PostFrigidman, on May 31st 2008, 10:04 AM, said:

But god, what is with mouse-maker's infatuation with useless side buttons? I simply am unable to use them, because they require you to give up motion control of the mouse to situate and press those buttons. Its about as bad as letting go of the mouse and hitting a key on your keypad. Now, if they put more buttons where your INDEX and MIDDLE fingers can press them, THEN they would make more sense. But on the sides? My god, the ones on the right side (for ring finger) are just impossible to deal with if you wish to keep a grasp of the mouse at the same time, and the thumb ones are pathetic as well. Not as bad, but they still require me to give up some movement ability just to squash at some buttons with my thumb.

The ones on the DeathAdder are pretty decent. There's only two on the thumb side. There's enough room between them and the base of the mouse to avoid them if you want, or pick up and move the mouse with no problem, and they're stiff enough that you can mouse with your thumb on them without pressing them accidentally.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#58 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

View PostFrigidman, on May 31st 2008, 09:04 AM, said:

I am not sure where this talk of "lasers lose track when you go fast" is. I have been sing this G5 reluctantly for two months now(?) and have never had it skip or drop or stall during any movement in any game. So I don't know what crack people are on when they talk about that.

As I said, you should've bought a DeathAdder. ;) Anyway, the top speed issue is only really noticeable on older laser-powered mice like the Habu (the G5 has gone through three revisions).
InsideMacGames.com

#59 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

I have a Logitech MX518, which has two thumb buttons and no buttons on the right side.  The main thumb button is placed so that it requires little effort to click, but isn't super-sensitive, so it only clicks when you want.  In fact I have it set up as middle-click, since it's easier to click than the scroll wheel.  The other thumb button is less easily reached, but still accessible enough to be useful for more occasional clicking.  At least with my hands.

--Eric

#60 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

I just realized I totally derailed this topic's original intent. Sorry. Pondering splitting out relative posts into a new thread... ugh, but some are mixed with multiple responses to things, hrm. Maybe not.

@Eric5h5 you mentioned the middle wheel 'button'... yeah, the G5s middle button requires some serious effort to click it down, and since the wheel also has "tilt" you more times than never tilt the wheel while trying to mash it in to click the middle button. Pretty annoying, so I set middle button to right tilt, as its what I end up doing when trying to click the middle button haha.

@Quicksilver, yes... I am going to order the DeathAdder next. I wasn't aware the Habu is SO OLD... I just saw a great deal on it on Amazon for $36. I'll order a DeathAdder next and see how it flys... out the window... of my office... from frustration... lol.

If that mouse don't work, I guess I will head back to my old Logitech Wheel Mouse MUB48 (uses a ball!).

-Fm [1oM7]