74 replies to this topic

#21 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:41 AM

You're right about console gamers--it's because the analog sticks don't do much at low deflection levels.

100 ms (1/10th of a second) is visibly noticeable (when you're the one controlling the cursor), by the way.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#22 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

NCIX has the regular version in a bundle with a Razer mousepad for $60 for any Canucks who are interested. I've got this mouse - it's great. Haven't had a chance to check out the Mac drivers yet though.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#23 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 30th 2008, 11:07 PM, said:

Snake, wireless mice range in latency from 50 ms (Bluetooth) to ~100 ms (RF).  Imagine doubling the latency of your internet connection, and see if that bothers you.  If you don't, then all the more power to you.  USB signals can have a sub-1 ms latency.

Oh ok, didn't really know my numbers there except for the display response times. 50-100 ms, wow thats big, I'm on wired (trackball, oh ya :thumbsup: ) now so I wont be going to wireless. And trackballs are sick you guys should all get 'em

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#24 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:27 AM

Where the hell do you download the mac drivers?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#25 Gulzt

Gulzt

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:43 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on May 20th 2008, 10:27 AM, said:

Where the hell do you download the mac drivers?

I have the same problem. Apparantly razer has deleted the drivers from their server, so that we buy their new colored mouse. the old-colored deathadder is exactly the same, but if you buy that one you won't get the Mac drivers. These will only be delivered together with the "mac edition" (read: other colored mouse).

So, is there anyone on this forum that has the Macdriver file still on their computer. If so, could you please share it with us?

#26 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:51 AM

View PostGulzt, on May 20th 2008, 02:43 AM, said:

So, is there anyone on this forum that has the Macdriver file still on their computer. If so, could you please share it with us?

I wonder if the drivers for the Pro | Click Leopard drivers work with the DeathAdder:
http://www.razersupp...d...d=108&nav=0
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#27 Gulzt

Gulzt

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

View Postrob_ART, on May 20th 2008, 01:51 PM, said:

I wonder if the drivers for the Pro | Click Leopard drivers work with the DeathAdder:
http://www.razersupp...d...d=108&nav=0

Can somebody that already owns a deathadder test this maybe?

#28 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:59 AM

You have got to be kidding me. I just bought this thing under the assumption that i would be able to get the new drivers for it, and they've deleted them.
and i doubt the pro click drivers work. its a completely different mouse.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#29 Gulzt

Gulzt

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on May 20th 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

You have got to be kidding me. I just bought this thing under the assumption that i would be able to get the new drivers for it, and they've deleted them.
and i doubt the pro click drivers work. its a completely different mouse.

We can only hope someone already saved them to their harddisk. Also, when the mac software needs an update they have to make it available again. Yet, by that time they sold enough deathadder "mac edition"- mice.

You can do two things. Return the mouse and wait for the Mac edition (so you get the CD-ROM). Download USBoverdrive and use that until I  (or someone else) get the Mac edition mouse and share the driver on this (or another, keep browsing google) forum.

If someone has the driver, please share it with us.

#30 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:11 AM

I've got 'em. PM me with your email if you need them.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#31 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

View PostGulzt, on May 20th 2008, 11:06 PM, said:

If someone has the driver, please share it with us.

I and another IMGer have tried this already. It doesn't work. And i dont think i can just return this thing. I sent an angry email to our good friend Razerguy asking WTF is going on :) i doubt he will reply.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#32 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

Bryan and i must have been using the wrong ones because the mac installer actually does work. I cant get On The Fly working though aswell as some other functions.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#33 Gulzt

Gulzt

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

View Postnobody, on May 20th 2008, 03:11 PM, said:

Great, I sent you a PM.

#34 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

I'm extremely picky about mice. I still use an old "Logitech WheelMouse" on my macs (the imac blue with white clear plastic top). Yeah, it has a BALL... thats how fricken picky I am. But one thing is for sure, with a ball, I know when the mouse is off the pad, and the precision and response is always on the mark. That is, unless I dont clean the wheels every other day... lol.

I've tried wireless mice on other peoples machines, and I even have one for my laptop when I travel. I hate em... so unresponsive if I pause for too long, cant stand that popsnizzle.

As for wired though...

I had picked up the LX3 Logitech Optical mouse for my game pc. Omg, what a jittery jerky heap of trash. It felt ok in the hand though, but its performance is pure junk.

So I Picked up the G5 from Logitech for my game pc... heap of horse crap. I hate it! I HAAAATTTEEE IT! It feels awful, its heavy (without any weights added), it has a mile high lift zone, but... its smooth tracking on the screen. Doesn't amount to much when I cant stand even putting my hand on the thing.

Soooo... I am now going to buy a DeathAdder. I have read reviews between it and the Habu, and I'm going to go with the Razer, since well, since its not Microsoft.

Now that I hear MAC drivers have come out for the Razer... I am DEFINITELY going to buy this now.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#35 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

Warning about the DeathAdder though: While it's in theory an awesome mouse, it was a cheap plastic heap of plastic to me. I love the surface, I love the response and I love the accuracy... but I hate the shape and weight of it. It feels empty... like a cheap plastic shell curved up high to make room for more air. It took me from never understanding how people can get damage from using mouse to being on the verge of sever carpal tunnel syndrome in less than a week. I tossed it out, got a DiamondBack, loved it's lower profile and more "filled out" weight... and when the DiamondBack 3G came and took away the cheap looking transparent plastic on the back of the mouse and replaced it with the awesome rubber surface from the DeathAdder as well as implementing the same optical system... I found love. Not the kind of love that makes me go marry on saturday, but love still.

DeathAdder is theroetically great... but it clashed horribly with my taste, long fingers (the base of my fingers end up about on top of the razer logo on the DiamondBack.. so basiall the base of my hand isn't even touching the mice, but rests solely on the table) and two finger control style (I don't grip the mouse, but flicks it around with two fingers on maximum speed to move my hands as little as possible).
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#36 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

View Postnobody, on May 20th 2008, 08:11 AM, said:

Hey, can you toss a copy at MacGeek@earthlink.net?  I'll throw them up on my personal Earthlink webspace, and post a link for everyone.

View PostWhaleman, on May 20th 2008, 09:46 AM, said:

Warning about the DeathAdder though: While it's in theory an awesome mouse, it was a cheap plastic heap of plastic to me. I love the surface, I love the response and I love the accuracy... but I hate the shape and weight of it. It feels empty... like a cheap plastic shell curved up high to make room for more air. It took me from never understanding how people can get damage from using mouse to being on the verge of sever carpal tunnel syndrome in less than a week. I tossed it out, got a DiamondBack, loved it's lower profile and more "filled out" weight... and when the DiamondBack 3G came and took away the cheap looking transparent plastic on the back of the mouse and replaced it with the awesome rubber surface from the DeathAdder as well as implementing the same optical system... I found love. Not the kind of love that makes me go marry on saturday, but love still.

DeathAdder is theroetically great... but it clashed horribly with my taste, long fingers (the base of my fingers end up about on top of the razer logo on the DiamondBack.. so basiall the base of my hand isn't even touching the mice, but rests solely on the table) and two finger control style (I don't grip the mouse, but flicks it around with two fingers on maximum speed to move my hands as little as possible).

Obviously, as one of the biggest proponents of the DeathAdder, I can't let that slide. ;) First and foremost, you definitely have an unusual criticism of the mouse (the "empty" feeling) and are the first to call a Razer product cheap (that I've seen, anyway). I definitely think that your taste in ergonomics is a little messed up, given your love of the Diamondback, but we can probably chalk up this whole wad of gaming goo to the fact that you're a dedicated "flick" user. Sounds like you're using a full-on claw grip there.

A few assorted notes:
  • Unless you're completely on the "glide" side of the spectrum, your palm is always on the base of your desk.
  • Your fingers don't seem to be any longer than mine--how far can you get your fingers around a Coke can?
  • The "empty" chunk of the mouse is probably about as empty as you'd think (see the picture of the similar Habu). The purpose of that gaseous hump (*cough*) is to keep your hand in a natural arch and is intended to prevent you from killing the carpals in the back of your hand.
  • Have you tried the Lachesis? While both the DeathAdder and the Lachesis are hybrid mice, the Lachesis is very strongly skewed in the "flick" direction.
Posted Image
^^Prepare for the unveiling of the "gaseous hump"!  

Posted Image
(Again--this is a Habu, not a DeathAdder)

Posted Image
I shall smite you with my fiber optic death ray of blue awesomeness!™
InsideMacGames.com

#37 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Ok, I'm going to jump in on this too heh.

I cant stand mice that "touch" the inside of my hand. I hold mice with thumb on left side, ring finger on right side, and then index/middle fingers sit on the two buttons. Pinky never ever touches the mouse or mouse pad, it floats always.

My palm, the inside, where my fingers join with the palm, ALL of that NEVER touchs mouse. If it does, I fire trucken hate the mouse (this is why I so hate that Logitech G5, its a brick!).

My wrist, the part that is the joint of my forearm and palm? That rests always on the mouse pad. I never lift it, and I rarely slide it, only to skooch a bit if it meanders (which happens given a lot of action).

I lift the mouse with my fingers mostly, and rarely upturn my wrist. If the mouse doesnt lift off within that motion (like the stupid friggen Logitech G5 with its insane lift height), then I end up sending my view (or mouse cursor) off in tangents across the screen as I try to lift and reposition.

These things are what I base a mouse on in terms of "ergonomics". I have used mice this way for 24 years, and have NEVER had a pain in my wrist. The end of the day I got this G5... my entire arm was aching.

Weight is also a factor. Although I am used to the weight of a ball-mouse, this G5 is actually heavier, and I havnt even put in any of its special weights either. Does this G5 feel "thick and full and not cheap?" Yes. But does that mean anything? Absolutely not. In fact, that LX3 mouse is very empty and cheap feeling, and it feels far better in the hand and in control... it just has the crappiest optical sensor in it.

This is what I mean by I'm finicky about mice :D

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#38 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

I agree on the weight thing.  The lighter the mouse, the less inertia you have to overcome.
InsideMacGames.com

#39 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 20th 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

Obviously, as one of the biggest proponents of the DeathAdder, I can't let that slide. ;) First and foremost, you definitely have an unusual criticism of the mouse (the "empty" feeling) and are the first to call a Razer product cheap (that I've seen, anyway). I definitely think that your taste in ergonomics is a little messed up, given your love of the Diamondback, but we can probably chalk up this whole wad of gaming goo to the fact that you're a dedicated "flick" user. Sounds like you're using a full-on claw grip there.

Like you said, I don't want anything but my fingertips to touch the mouse, much like Randall states above as well... hence that gas hump gets in my way and completely screw up my ergonomics :) I think a diamondback is more down mine and probably Frigidman's alley from being designed not to touch. And I stick to the DeathAdder feeling like a cheap plastic toy compared to the DiamondBack and CopperHead... much thanks to the gaseous hump. It makes it feels lighter than it actually is ... ie unbalanced. I'm pretty picky when it comes to mice as well ;)

A few assorted notes:[list]

[*]Unless you're completely on the "glide" side of the spectrum, your palm is always on the base of your desk.

Swedish translation mind fart.... the center of my palm resides over the desk though... I don't have much palm left at all to fit on a mouse if I would like to.

[*]Your fingers don't seem to be any longer than mine--how far can you get your fingers around a Coke can?

I didn't have a can at hand, but I think I can barely squeeze a finger in between the thumb and closest opposing finger... and then my palm is about 20% longer than my index finger.. so the base of my palm ends up quite a far away from the mouse ;)

[*]The "empty" chunk of the mouse is probably about as empty as you'd think (see the picture of the similar Habu). The purpose of that gaseous hump (*cough*) is to keep your hand in a natural arch and is intended to prevent you from killing the carpals in the back of your hand.

It creates the wrong arc for me though :P

[*]Have you tried the Lachesis? While both the DeathAdder and the Lachesis are hybrid mice, the Lachesis is very strongly skewed in the "flick" direction.

I haven't been able to find one to lay my hands on in a store yet... and I'm not dying to do so. I bought 3 razer mice in 2 months to find the 3G and that cost me enough for a while ;)

View PostFrigidman, on May 20th 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

I cant stand mice that "touch" the inside of my hand. I hold mice with thumb on left side, ring finger on right side, and then index/middle fingers sit on the two buttons. Pinky never ever touches the mouse or mouse pad, it floats always.

Amen. The thumb and ring finger more or less only stabilizing the mouse and the index and middle finger doing the actual motions. This is why I didn't like the DeathAdder since it more or less forces me to hold it differently due to the gas bump. Had the arc actually fit hy hand (like the Logitech MX mice has always managed to do) I would not even have noticed it and probably loved the DeathAdder.

These things are what I base a mouse on in terms of "ergonomics". I have used mice this way for 24 years, and have NEVER had a pain in my wrist. The end of the day I got this G5... my entire arm was aching.
sounds more or less like my experience with the deathadder.... but I've only used mice for... 18 or so years :) I can't actually recall how I used the horrible mouse for the Atari ST though. But I have been forced to apologize to people borrowing my computer about the insane mouse speeds for as long as I can remember... the best part is some PC users complaining... "This is why I hate macs... the cursor moves to damn fast." and then they go back to windows with mouse speed set to minimum and the silly mouse ghosting checked on.... *shudders*

Weight is also a factor. Although I am used to the weight of a ball-mouse, this G5 is actually heavier, and I havnt even put in any of its special weights either. Does this G5 feel "thick and full and not cheap?" Yes. But does that mean anything? Absolutely not. In fact, that LX3 mouse is very empty and cheap feeling, and it feels far better in the hand and in control... it just has the crappiest optical sensor in it.

I'm not as concerned about the actual weight as how true to form it feels. Heavy or light doesn't matter as long as it feels right. I usually prefer lighter mice, but the DeathAdder felt too light for its form factor and even for its actual weight... so it felt all wrong to me. It was so bad I more or less gave it away for free after a few months trying to use it as at least as a work mouse to my MacBook.  For a bit it was even used to the backup server that's only used a few times a week.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#40 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

View PostFrigidman, on May 20th 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

I have used mice this way for 24 years, and have NEVER had a pain in my wrist. The end of the day I got this G5... my entire arm was aching.

You old man, you. ;)

View PostWhaleman, on May 20th 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

I didn't have a can at hand, but I think I can barely squeeze a finger in between the thumb and closest opposing finger... and then my palm is about 20% longer than my index finger.. so the base of my palm ends up quite a far away from the mouse ;)

Wow . . . that cleared things up. So, how is life on Xardoc XIV? Are the acid storms pleasant this time of year? :P
InsideMacGames.com