74 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreenie

TheGreenie

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

YAY!!! Those of us that have a razor DeathAdder now have drivers for the mac!!

http://www.razersupp...d...30&nav=0,11

And for those that have not yet bought a gaming mouse there is the new version of it in white instead of blue

http://www.razerzone...;products_id=89

/me is a happy camper

#2 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

That version is black, what yo talkin bout foo!
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on April 30th 2008, 08:39 AM, said:

That version is black, what yo talkin bout foo!
The mouse wheel is white. Compare:

"Normal" version:
Posted Image

Mac Edition:
Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:05 AM

Maybye the caught on to all those reviews coming from insideMacgames, and decided there was a mac market. Looks cool, i hope to invest in one someday.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#5 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

I will be reviewing the "new" DeathAdder.  It's functionally identical to the normal mouse, except for the lighting.  If you already have a DeathAdder, just grab the driver and start configuring right away.  Here's my recommended setup (ignore the messed-up "Command + [," or "back" command--some extra junk got picked up by the box when I took this screenie):

Posted Image

Essentially, my theory is that people rarely scroll up, use the scroll wheel button, or find the "forward" thumb button useful.  After messing with configurations over the past six months, I've found that the forward thumb button works incredibly well for rapid in-game changes in sensitivity, and since people rarely need to scroll up (they usually go all the way up), binding the "Home" key to the scroll wheel making web browsing a lot snappier.

As far as general on-the-fly tuning goes, I start by setting the mouse to 1800 DPI @ 1000 Hz, and then adjusting the OTF (on-the-fly) sensitivity until it reads 9.0.  Once I've done that, I go into the general OS mouse sensitivity controls and tune the mouse to my preferred speed.  Therefore, I have the ability to make the mouse a hair twitchy with a snap of the wrist, or dial it way down (5.0 - 6.0 range) for precise work.

Try it out and tell me what you think, okay?  I'm interested in your optimal setups.  

Edit: Before I forget, I'm not happy about the extra precision that the tiny, white OS X OTF sensitivity bar offers--in Windows, it runs steps of 0.5 instead of 0.2, and it's color-coded.  The extra precision is unnecessary, and the size/color makes gauging the size of the bar from your peripheral vision impossible.  Still, this feature kicks the living crap out of the normal multi-step OTF sensitivity adjustment offered on other mice.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

Ugh...  Is the interface for the Mac driver?? Please tell me it isn't. :blarf:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

Can't wait for the review. My question would be if it is a worthy successor to a Logitech mx510 which is my current gaming mouse. How is the weight of the mouse? I enjoy a heavier mouse with a solid feel.

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#8 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'm a big fan of Razer mice. I have Diamondbacks on all our Macs in the lab. My Harpertown has the Diamondback 3G. I plan to get the Mac edition of the DeathAdder to play with. (All the Apple mice are still in the factory cellophane -- ready to ship with the Mac when I sell it on eBay.)

I have the Lachesis which I keep forgetting to try under Vista 64. It's the ultimate, you know, with 4000 dpi resolution. I'd love to see some Mac drivers developed for that -- with a white LED, of course.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#9 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

Cool! I have 3 PRO Click 1.6
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#10 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

View PostJanichsan, on April 30th 2008, 08:07 AM, said:

Ugh...  Is the interface for the Mac driver?? Please tell me it isn't. :blarf:

++
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#11 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

The Mac version is a lot classier... Shame I don't care for Razer Mice.
the IMG audio guy...

#12 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

I understand that wired mice are theoretically better for games because of latency, but can anybody actually tell a difference between wired and good wireless mice? And if so, how much of that is probably psychological(I know wired mice should be more responsive therefore I'm going to think it feels more responsive).

I personally would never switch back to a wired mouse. I don't notice a difference, and the cable getting caught on stuff is a big annoyance.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#13 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

I agree. I love my Logitech VX (now if only it would stop completely destroying batteries within a day or two), and dont think I could go back to wired. Partially out of space. All the ports in use all the time are on the left of the MBP. Power, USB, audio. The right is then reserved for the occasionally attached USB HDD or FW800 HDD and similar.
With a wired mouse, the wire gets caught under the screen's lid as I tilt it back... most annoying.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#14 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on April 30th 2008, 02:22 PM, said:

I understand that wired mice are theoretically better for games because of latency, but can anybody actually tell a difference between wired and good wireless mice? And if so, how much of that is probably psychological(I know wired mice should be more responsive therefore I'm going to think it feels more responsive).

I personally would never switch back to a wired mouse. I don't notice a difference, and the cable getting caught on stuff is a big annoyance.

None of the difference is psychological--I can clearly feel and see it.  It's enough of a delay to make the difference between life and death in Call of Duty 4.
InsideMacGames.com

#15 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hey Quicksilver, have you tried the New (revised) Logitech G5 Laser Mouse? Wonder what you think versus the Razers? I'm kind of attached to my MX510, so my bias is towards Logitech, but I'm being offered one or the other as a gift.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on April 30th 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

Hey Quicksilver, have you tried the New (revised) Logitech G5 Laser Mouse? Wonder what you think versus the Razers? I'm kind of attached to my MX510, so my bias is towards Logitech, but I'm being offered one or the other as a gift.

I've heard good things about the G5 mouse, and was told to pick one up for my gaming, but I'm also not QS so I'll let him answer

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#17 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

To be honest I never even notice the cord on my mouse; it's just never in the way or getting caught on anything, so I haven't seen the need to mess around with batteries and possible latency yet.

Anyway, since this mouse is Extreeeeeeeeme™, you obviously need an Extreeeeeeeeeeeme™ interface to go with it.  Human interface guidelines are nothing compared to mice on the edge!

--Eric

#18 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 30th 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

None of the difference is psychological--I can clearly feel and see it.  It's enough of a delay to make the difference between life and death in Call of Duty 4.

The difference is only gonna be a few milliseconds between wired and non-wired (read that somewhere, i think) and correct me if I'm wrong but the response times on a lot displays is gonna be 3+ milliseconds so it wouldn't make a difference :mellow: , i dunno, just thought of it on the spot but think about it, could mean nothing, forget I said anything

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#19 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on April 30th 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I have not tried out the blue/cracked G5 (rev 3), but once we finish testing the Revolution MX wireless mouse and G51 surround sound system, I'll ask Logitech for a review unit.  If you have a choice between a G5 and a DeathAdder, I would highly recommend the DeathAdder--it does everything that the G5 does, but better (except track on glossy white surfaces).  The only reason why I think you'd even want to consider the G5 is the possibility that you love the feel of your current mouse.  On a similar note, if the person that's giving you the gift is offering something other than a DeathAdder from Razer, you might want to be a bit more careful.  

Snake, wireless mice range in latency from 50 ms (Bluetooth) to ~100 ms (RF).  Imagine doubling the latency of your internet connection, and see if that bothers you.  If you don't, then all the more power to you.  USB signals can have a sub-1 ms latency.

EDIT: I just found an unbelievable deal on the "normal" DeathAdder (with blue lighting) at Circuit City ($21), but the caveat is that you have to buy it in-store.  They also don't have very many of them, so you'll want to check availability on the page or call around to see if they have them.  If you miss this deal, the mouse normally retails for $50-60.
InsideMacGames.com

#20 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:28 AM

it depends on your natural reactions. twitch gamers are going to be able to feel it. Console gamers wont. (and yeah, im exaggerating and creating two mythical groups here)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor