How many Mac-Games do you buy each year?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 31st 2008, 11:41 AM, said:

But to make a game *solid*, all you need is testing. Lots and lots of testing, and feedback. And people that listen to it, and translate it, if necessary, to the people that make it work.
And just about every major developer falls flat on their face here, lately.

I, for one, am getting damn sick of games shipping with blatantly obvious bugs. I mean, don't they test their games at ALL? It's one thing to have a bug you can only find through some roundabout way. It's another thing to have one that invariably pops up every time you play. And now that console games are updatable, this popsnizzlety QA has moved in force to console games as well.

Someone needs to start a company that does strictly game testing, and then contract out. The job just isn't getting done anymore.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#42 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

View PostFrost, on April 8th 2008, 08:37 PM, said:

Someone needs to start a company that does strictly game testing, and then contract out. The job just isn't getting done anymore.

I disagree. I think the testing is getting done (as much as before at least), but the scheduling is getting in the way due to tighter and more competitive market conditions - and sometimes just money-grabbing ignorance. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#43 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

View PostWhaleman, on March 30th 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

You got Mac only games... The "problem" is that these are made by companies like Ambrosia Software, Pangea, Freeverse, Strange Flavour and the like.

Problem? A new Escape Velocity game would be the first Mac game I've bought in a while. I haven't been buying many games for Windows or OS X. There aren't really any new games that interest me.

On an unrelated note, if Virtual Programming ports the new Egosoft game that is using the X3 engine which is already ported (X3: Terran Conflict), I probably couldn't resist buying it either. An announcement about this before the release of the Windows version would be nice too, so I can know to not pick it up for Windows.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#44 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Oh, I forgot a raft of games I bought last year. Hitman 1-4, Fallout 1-Tactics, Thief 3, Hidden&Dangerous 1-2, and Operation Flashpoint. I thought it was more, and I was right.

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:50 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on April 20th 2008, 12:07 AM, said:

... if Virtual Programming ports the new Egosoft game that is using the X3 engine which is already ported (X3: Terran Conflict), ...
Well, if you consider a ciderised game "ported"...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#46 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:52 AM

Haven't bought a game since 2006. There doesn't seem to be anything that interests me anymore and a pitiful selection since I still use PPC. I usually just go back and replay old favorites like Warcraft III and KOTOR instead of looking for new games.

If I ever take gaming seriously again, I'll probably get a gaming PC or a PS3 or something.

#47 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

View PostJanichsan, on April 21st 2008, 04:50 AM, said:

Well, if you consider a ciderised game "ported"...
I didn't end up purchasing X3 from VP because I bought the Windows version well before the ciderized version was announced, so I have no idea how stable the Mac version is now, but as long as a ciderized port is fairly stable, and runs well on my machine, I'm happy.

#48 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:28 AM

Hmmm, well I've been a Mac user for about a year, so my game buying has been furious but will die down now I have about everything I want. So that was about 40 games in the last year  :happy:

#49 Trine

Trine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

So far this year? Zero. Ditto for PC Games. Last year I bought about 10 mac games and about 5 PC Games (MMOs all). The difference between the two is that late last year I moved to some small country town in Australia where my wife is from, from my home town of Orange County, California. Not only are there no Apple stores around barring a 16 hour drive to Sydney, PC Games cost close to $100 new in this place.

So I dare say my game buying days are over. Ah well, I had my fun. Went through the glory days of the 80's, 90's and first part of the 00's on a buying spree. 27 is old enough to settle down I suppose.

#50 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:19 AM

You could always try digital purchases, which are generally cheaper, etc.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#51 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on May 5th 2008, 04:19 AM, said:

You could always try digital purchases, which are generally cheaper, etc.
Yes, DVDs are generally cheaper than cassettes, but I haven't ever seen PC games come on cassettes.

#52 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

well digital sounds better than virtual :D
QC.

#53 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Only the good old computers like the Commodore 64 use cassettes for games.

Anyway, it is not that painful to buy even actual games online, that is how I do things, shipping isn't bad, and shipping from Apple themselves is free. Plus it is still a hell of a lot cheaper than going interstate for the nearest Apple store.

#54 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

4 to 6.

I am very much opposed to having to quit all my apps and projects--and my EyeTV with all its scheduled recordings!--and reboot to play a game for 2 minutes. So no Windows versions for me.

#55 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

I'm willing to reboot, but to make it worth the inconvenience, the game better be really damn good. Bioshock was the last game worth rebooting for.

#56 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

Oh I reboot for a lot of things. It's annoying because I have to wait for my downloads that way, but what the hey. I could actually install the same downloader on windows, and just let it download to the same target.
QC.

#57 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

Oops, I meant 20 minutes :) I wasn't talking Minesweeper!

The more I think about it the more I realize what a hassle it would be to quit all my apps and reboot. Aside from losing TV shows that were set to record, I just keep a lot of apps open (and OS X handles that nicely) in various states--it's how I work with my computer, and why should my play interfere?

It would be like if I had to clean up my office and put all my projects away on shelves--and then get them all back out again--in order to take a recreation break.

Sure it's doable, but I would game LESS as a result of that inconvenience. Only in long blocks, never just for the heck of it. I'd be getting less fun out of each game.

#58 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

Meh. I don't have any apps that need to work in the background. If I do, it's because I'm downloading something, and that always takes hours. (i.e. can wait till the night)
QC.

#59 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

Fable is pretty sturdy and minimises nicely. Speaking of which back to Fable I go.

#60 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

Well, my apps don't NEED to work in the background except for PVR. (Which doesn't seem to kill game performance, amazingly enough.) But I have lots of stuff open and ready for me--not working on their own, but with stuff in progress. My calendar, address book cards for current projects, To Do lists and documents with text notes, and documents I'm working on--saved for safety, but unfinished and waiting for me when I'm done playing.