• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on March 9th 2009, 10:15 AM, said:

orangebox
install = fine
run = every game freezes afzer a view minutes of playing time (malloc failure)
Although I cannot vouch for every game in the box, that's probably not a general problem: I played Portal just yesterday (played it completely through, in fact) without a hitch.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#82 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 10th 2009, 12:49 PM, said:

Although I cannot vouch for every game in the box, that's probably not a general problem: I played Portal just yesterday (played it completely through, in fact) without a hitch.

I can vouch for every game in the box, they all run fine on both the systems listed below. No hitches at all.

Aren't malloc errors related to memory?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#83 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 10th 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

I can vouch for every game in the box, they all run fine on both the systems listed below. No hitches at all.

Aren't malloc errors related to memory?

yes, but i used the tool called "rember" to test the ram, it is fine.
it must have something to do with the nvidia gpu or the chipset and its driver.

Doc
 iMac 2.93C2D ATI-4850 4GB 640GB BT AP SD
 MacbookPro 2.4C2D 9600GT 4GB 250GB BT AP SD
 iPod Video 30GB - Airport Extreme - Synology 406 1.6TB@Raid5

#84 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Since I were able to get that for some unbelievable 2,50 €: Tomb Raider Legend
The budget version I got (that's the "Software Pyramide" version for you in Germany) has no copy protection, so no problems with that. The game runs well, with a few caveats: reflections have to be turned off, otherwise you get some graphical glitches, and you have to set the game resolution to the native resolution of your display. When you don't it can happen that the graphics aren't centered on the screen and you only see maybe half of it. The game still runs rather smooth at 1440x900 on my ageing MBP (with an ATI x1600) when I additionally disable the full screen effects (that otherwise work fine).

I also picked up Sid Meier's Railroads for anther 3 €(! – and that's not the budget version), but hadn't had the opportunity yet to install and test it.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#85 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on March 10th 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

yes, but i used the tool called "rember" to test the ram, it is fine.
it must have something to do with the nvidia gpu or the chipset and its driver.

Doc

Not the RAM itself, how the program itself is programmed to allocate/deallocate memory while it runs.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#86 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Okay, I finally got around to try out Sid Meier's Railroads! (I felt I had to finish TR:L first... ;) ), but no luck. The game installs, but does nothing.

#87 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

One more: GTA San Andreas
The game requires a NoCD patch, but otherwise works quite well. It could run smoother, though. Despite some tweaking, I don't get more than about 20-25 fps. Still playable, nevertheless.

#88 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

I purchased the Steam version of 1701 A.D. Gold Edition yesterday and it works!  After some tinkering I got the game to run, pretty smoothly as well.  Check Codeweavers compatibility database for the steps for getting the game up and running.  Was pretty excited as I'd been waiting to play this game for awhile now.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#89 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

View PostJanichsan, on April 17th 2009, 10:23 PM, said:

Since I were able to get that for some unbelievable 2,50 €: Tomb Raider Legend
The budget version I got (that's the "Software Pyramide" version for you in Germany) has no copy protection, so no problems with that. The game runs well, with a few caveats: reflections have to be turned off, otherwise you get some graphical glitches, and you have to set the game resolution to the native resolution of your display. When you don't it can happen that the graphics aren't centered on the screen and you only see maybe half of it. The game still runs rather smooth at 1440x900 on my ageing MBP (with an ATI x1600) when I additionally disable the full screen effects (that otherwise work fine).

I've been playing Legend myself in Crossover games (7.2 and now 7.2.1). I bought it second hand and it is version 1.0. I can't get the 1.1 or 1.2 patches to install in Crossover (I don't have Windows at all) the installers say the game isn't installed.

Version 1.0 has been running great at 1680 x 1050 with reflections off however I finished the Peru levels and as soon as loading finishes for Japan I get a black screen and hear a second of audio then the game crashes to the desktop.

The console shows:

30/05/2009 15:05:38 [0x0-0x4c04c].com.codeweavers.CrossOverGamesHelper.TombRaiderLegend.Eidos/.Tomb Raider - Legend/.Tomb Raider - Legend[620] wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x0000000c at address 0xecaf6f (thread 001e), starting debugger...
30/05/2009 15:05:38 [0x0-0x4c04c].com.codeweavers.CrossOverGamesHelper.TombRaiderLegend.Eidos/.Tomb Raider - Legend/.Tomb Raider - Legend[620] Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x0000000c in 32-bit code (0x00ecaf6f).
30/05/2009 15:05:38 [0x0-0x4c04c].com.codeweavers.CrossOverGamesHelper.TombRaiderLegend.Eidos/.Tomb Raider - Legend/.Tomb Raider - Legend[620] Register dump:

and so on.

I have tried resuming the game several times and tried going back and playing the previous bit again but get the same thing. :(
It's really a shame as I was enjoying the game.

I have also been playing Max Payne 2 - which works great and have attempted the orange box. There were problem with changing discs when installing and having to change my keyboard layout to the US one with Steam because I couldn't type anything when creating an account. After that I got Half Life 2 going at 1680 x 1050 for a while but it soon crashed back to steam. Since then I have struggled to get past the initial loading screen. The one time I did I played until a got a loading message and it crashed again.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#90 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

Just giving this one a bump so that some new people can see it.  Perhaps we should sticky this one.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#91 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

View Postclocknova, on September 24th 2009, 10:27 AM, said:

Just giving this one a bump so that some new people can see it.  Perhaps we should sticky this one.
OK.  Sounds good to me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#92 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

Quick update from me. Since upgrading to Crossover Games 8 - Tomb Raider Legend stopped crashing so I could play it to completion. I also finished Max Payne 2 and have got Mafia, DS9 The Fallen and Far Cry to run. Half Life 2 also seems to be more stable than before.

In generally it is nice to get the chance to play some titles that never came to the Mac but there can be some work involved in terms of patches or specific things that need installing to get a title to work. Codeweavers site and winehq are a big help here. I find that you also have to be very careful with graphics settings - the wrong option selected can make the game crash. With native Mac games I usually just turn the settings up but with crossover I generally just change the resolution and leave most of the others.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#93 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

Just a quick update now that Snow Leopard and Crossover Games 8.0 are out.  The following games I have personally tested in 10.6 and CXG 8 and work perfectly or near-perfectly.  Some require a few tricks, which you can read about at the Crossover site, and almost all require circumventing the disc check, but all can be played.  Please note that there are many more working games, but these are the ones I have had time to play test since the 10.6 and CXG 8 releases.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magica Obscura
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Civilization IV: Complete
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Siege (with the Ultima V: Lazarus mod, the only reason to have this game)
Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven
Half Life
Half Life 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
The Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

-V. Marchetti, CIA

#94 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

View Postclocknova, on September 25th 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

Just a quick update now that Snow Leopard and Crossover Games 8.0 are out. ...
I can add Neverwinter Nights 1 and Sam & Max Season 1 to that list.

A word of warning, though: several people have problems with the sensitivity of mouse controls in CXG 8 (including me) that make a couple of games nigh unplayable. But the Codeweavers support team is on the topic and so far it appears that there is some trouble with hyperthreading on multi-core CPUs.

#95 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

View PostJanichsan, on September 25th 2009, 03:54 PM, said:

I can add Neverwinter Nights 1 and Sam & Max Season 1 to that list.

A word of warning, though: several people have problems with the sensitivity of mouse controls in CXG 8 (including me) that make a couple of games nigh unplayable. But the Codeweavers support team is on the topic and so far it appears that there is some trouble with hyperthreading on multi-core CPUs.

Funny.  I've been having trouble getting NWN 1 to start properly in CXG 8.  I'll reinstall into a new bottle and try again later.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#96 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Theatre of War from Battlefront is supposed to run according to the COG database, but I can't get it to work at all. Sigh.

Anyone else get this to run?

http://www.codeweave...me/?app_id=5562

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#97 jaymassive

jaymassive

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'm having problems with my mouse when running Aliens Vs Predator through cross over games - i just don't have any sort of range of motion, i can look a little to the left and then to the right but that's it. Any ideas how i can fix it?

#98 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

View Postjaymassive, on December 13th 2009, 08:20 PM, said:

I'm having problems with my mouse when running Aliens Vs Predator through cross over games - i just don't have any sort of range of motion, i can look a little to the left and then to the right but that's it. Any ideas how i can fix it?

Add the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectInput/MouseWarpOverride = "force" or the mouse will have only 180 degree mouvement.  The menu will become only keyboard driven.

#99 jaymassive

jaymassive

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:39 AM

View PostHansi, on December 13th 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

Add the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectInput/MouseWarpOverride = "force" or the mouse will have only 180 degree mouvement.  The menu will become only keyboard driven.

Excuse my ignorance - but where do I add it? thanks!

#100 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:12 AM

View Postjaymassive, on December 14th 2009, 02:39 AM, said:

Excuse my ignorance - but where do I add it? thanks!
I have the same Problem.

I know you need to select the Bottle, choose "run command" and enter "regedit" (key registry editor)
but how to properly implement the actualy string I don´t know. Experimenting right now.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-